Proposed Gold Coast Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are two pictures they released of what the venue may look like.

PtzZstm.jpg

WAdvS8v.jpg

if its an entertainment centre, how are the Titans going to play there?
Good question. So apparently it's going to be a convertible venue that has a reduced capacity (to about 8k I think) when sports like rugby league, union and soccer are played at the venue. They also want to make it convertible to cater for eSports events.

With Gold Coast confirming they will be part of the Olympics bid, It looks like this new Gold Coast Arena would play a big role in the games

Yeah I think that definitely increases the chances of this arena being built. Also, the IOC pointed out that the QLD government would need to significantly improve its public transport network to and from the major venues for the Olympics to work here and we already know the favoured site of Owen Park in Southport is located along the light rail line and would be serviced by two separate stops that would be 400 metres away from the proposed arena.

While we're on the topic of the Olympics and upgrading public transport connectivity, the Cross River Rail project will of course include an underground Gabba station which will be huge for our push towards an Olympic bid but I wonder if there is enough time to push for a light rail extension to also connect Metricon before the 2032 Games. The local city council and state government have made it clear that the highest priority in terms of light rail extension is the Gold Coast Airport via Burleigh Heads but is there enough time to add a third extension to Metricon before 2032? The Burleigh extension is already underway and is expected to be completed in 2023. So if we took a conservative approach and said an extension to the airport in Coolangatta takes 5 years, that gives us 4 more years to convince the QLD/Federal government that it's a good idea to create an extension between Broadbeach and Nerang (with a stop at Metricon) before that Games begin.

Yeah I think that definitely increases the chances of this arena being built. Also, the IOC pointed out that the QLD government would need to significantly improve its public transport network to and from the major venues for the Olympics to work here and we already know the favoured site of Owen Park in Southport is located along the light rail line and would be serviced by two separate stops that would be 400 metres away from the proposed arena.

While we're on the topic of the Olympics and upgrading public transport connectivity, the Cross River Rail project will of course include an underground Gabba station which will be huge for our push towards an Olympic bid but I wonder if there is enough time to push for a light rail extension to also connect Metricon before the 2032 Games. The local city council and state government have made it clear that the highest priority in terms of light rail extension is the Gold Coast Airport via Burleigh Heads but is there enough time to add a third extension to Metricon before 2032? The Burleigh extension is already underway and is expected to be completed in 2023. So if we took a conservative approach and said an extension to the airport in Coolangatta takes 5 years, that gives us 4 more years to convince the QLD/Federal government that it's a good idea to create an extension between Broadbeach and Nerang (with a stop at Metricon) before that Games begin.
We would assume that the Carrara Precient would be involved even if Metricon isn't used. The other two venues would surely be used. I went to the Comm Games in 2018 and public transport idea was great but execution was poor. I got back to the accomodation at 3am after the Opening Ceremony because of the Public Transport (keep in mind, I went straight back) and we also went to the first Swimming event and there was too much crowds for what the public transport could handle.

I think the Olympics could force the government into investing into quality public transport in SEQ which can only be a positive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back