Prediction Proposed Pies Rd 1 team, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apologies if a similar thread already exists Feel free to merge if so.

The AFL.com website have just put together what they believe to be our Rd 1 team of those players available (suspension and injuries keep some out eg Scharenberg)

That team is as follows

B: Brayden Maynard, Lynden Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Travis Varcoe, Daniel Wells, Brayden Sier, Josh Thomas

Defender depth: Tyson Goldsack, Ben Reid, Matt Scharenberg, Flynn Appleby, Nathan Murphy, Jack Madgen, Isaac Quaynor, Will Kelly, Mark Keane, Sam Murray

Forward depth: Ben Crocker, Tim Broomhead, Anton Tohill, Atu Bosenavulagi

Midfield depth: Tom Phillips, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood, James Aish, Callum Brown, Tyler Brown, Josh Daicos, Rupert Wills

Ruck depth: Jordan Roughead, Max Lynch

Proposed modifications
- I think the bench needs at least one defender on it for rotations. Drop Wells and introduce Quaynor, Murphy or Aish depending upon pre-season form and the opposition mix.
- I think Phillips, as our best runner, should take a wing. I'd leave out Thomas given the reintroduction of Elliott to the team and place either Adams, but probably Treloar, on the bench as part of the midfield rotations..

Otherwise, I think the team is a very strong one. it'd be great to field a team of this quality throughout the season.

Apologies if a similar thread already exists Feel free to merge if so.

The AFL.com website have just put together what they believe to be our Rd 1 team of those players available (suspension and injuries keep some out eg Scharenberg)

That team is as follows

B: Brayden Maynard, Lynden Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Travis Varcoe, Daniel Wells, Brayden Sier, Josh Thomas

Defender depth: Tyson Goldsack, Ben Reid, Matt Scharenberg, Flynn Appleby, Nathan Murphy, Jack Madgen, Isaac Quaynor, Will Kelly, Mark Keane, Sam Murray

Forward depth: Ben Crocker, Tim Broomhead, Anton Tohill, Atu Bosenavulagi

Midfield depth: Tom Phillips, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood, James Aish, Callum Brown, Tyler Brown, Josh Daicos, Rupert Wills

Ruck depth: Jordan Roughead, Max Lynch

Proposed modifications
- I think the bench needs at least one defender on it for rotations. Drop Wells and introduce Quaynor, Murphy or Aish depending upon pre-season form and the opposition mix.
- I think Phillips, as our best runner, should take a wing. I'd leave out Thomas given the reintroduction of Elliott to the team and place either Adams, but probably Treloar, on the bench as part of the midfield rotations..

Otherwise, I think the team is a very strong one. it'd be great to field a team of this quality throughout the season.
Selection based upon potential but too high risk imho with Dunn, Wells, Moore and Elliott.
Chances are that at least one of them will break down during the game.
To give us more insurance around the ground I would have Roughead in for Dunn who is doubtful for round 1 anyway
I like Phillips running ability and up to a point that of Mayne , wouldn't mind either of them instead of Wells or Thomas.

B: Maynard Roughead Crisp
HB: Howe Moore Langdon
C: Sidebottom Adams Phillips
HF: WHE Mihocek Stephenson
F: Elliott Cox Beams
Fol: Grundy Treloar Pendlebury
INT: De Goey JT Reid Sier

EM: Aish Quaynor Goldsack Varcoe

Round 1

B. Langdon ~ Reid ~ Maynard

HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp

C. Sidebottom ~ Beams ~ Treloar

HF. Stephenson ~ De Goey ~ Wells

F. Hoskin-Elliott ~ Cox ~ Elliott

R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Adams

I. Mayne ~ Sier ~ Varcoe ~ Phillips

E. Mihocek, Aish, Greenwood, Murphy

Maynard Dunn Langdon
Crisp Moore Howe
Sidey Adams Stevo
WHE Mihocek Elliott
Cox De Goey Beams

Grundy Pendles Treloar
Int - Varcoe Phillips Sier Wells

Phillips is stapled into the best 22. It’s not even a discussion point.
I’d agree that’s how the selection people see it.

He’s in.

Agreed, and IMO, Thomas is also no chance of being dropped
Almost agree.
He can only be in danger with the whole swoop squad available and Elliott available.
Eventually someone will get squeezed out and Thomas might get that unlucky player.

Too Long Away from making a RD 1 Team yet
What else are you going to do with the off season other than compile a best 22?

I like the team in the OP though agree that Phillips should come in for JT. If all of Dunn, Moore, Elliott and Wells are deemed fit, why not name them in a best 22 for round 1? No point taking the view that one of them is not going to see out the game. If they are fit and done a pre season then play them. If not, don't. Simple. Set pessimism aside until injuries introduce negativity into selection thoughts.

Too Long Away from making a RD 1 Team yet
Ahhh you right.

But so much fun.

It also makes the realisation we really do have a lot of depth, nice level depth too.
I’d say we even have up to 40 players who at a pinch could play well enough to earn a place in our side for multiple games.

Out of those say 40 most have a good medium depth level. That’s very pleasing.

Ofcourse the more elite and A grade we have the more likely we’ll have sustained high end success.
This coming season will tell the tale.

Promising at least.

What else are you going to do with the off season other than compile a best 22?

I like the team in the OP though agree that Phillips should come in for JT. If all of Dunn, Moore, Elliott and Wells are deemed fit, why not name them in a best 22 for round 1? No point taking the view that one of them is not going to see out the game. If they are fit and done a pre season then play them. If not, don't. Simple. Set pessimism aside until injuries introduce negativity into selection thoughts.
There you’re right.
If they are all fit, you have to pick them.

Makes such an interesting exercise of best 22 with most being fit.
Shows nice depth levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an example of both firsts and seconds of every player up and about

Collingwood 2019

B. Scharenberg ~ Dunn ~ Langdon

HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp

C. Sidebottom ~ Treloar ~ Beams

I. Sier ~ Varcoe ~ Maynard ~ Phillips

C. Buckley

E. Mihocek, Mayne, Murphy, Aish

Reserves

B. Goldsack (c) ~ Kelly ~ Appleby

HB. Quaynor ~ Reid ~ Murphy

C. Mayne ~ Greenwood ~ Aish

HF. Thomas ~ Mihocek ~ Daicos

F. Crocker ~ Roughead ~ Broomhead

R. Lynch ~ Wills ~ Brown C

I. Madgen ~ Murray ~ Brown T ~ Bosanavulagi

E. Tohill, Keane

Last edited:
This is an example of both firsts and seconds of every player up and about

Collingwood 2019

B. Scharenberg ~ Dunn ~ Langdon

HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp

C. Sidebottom ~ Treloar ~ Beams

I. Sier ~ Varcoe ~ Maynard ~ Phillips

C. Buckley

E. Mihocek, Mayne, Murphy, Aish

Reserves

B. Goldsack (c) ~ Kelly ~ Appleby

HB. Quaynor ~ Reid ~ Murphy

C. Mayne ~ Greenwood ~ Aish

HF. Thomas ~ Mihocek ~ Daicos

F. Crocker ~ Roughead ~ Broomhead

R. Lynch ~ Wills ~ Brown C

I. Madgen ~ Murray ~ Brown T

~ Bosanavulagi

E. Tohill, Keane
The reserves bench looks quite strong, though I am sure that Murray will fail to feature in it. :(

The reserves bench looks quite strong, though I am sure that Murray will fail to feature in it. :(
Murray ofcourse you’re right but I’ve included him for our purposes whilst on list.
Just to show our list.

The replacement say it’s Marsh (for argument sakes) slots in.

The Irish lads can jump onto the bench too.

We are VERY deep on nice level talent so that’s pleasing.

Agree, but worth having a stab, I decided to do my 2019 ladder predictor today for what it’s worth.

View attachment 595818
It’s a real interesting 8 you have.
Can’t fault it really besides a bit generous with North (but I’m always under selling them so you might be right at that with their draw).

Melbourne really should be finals bound. Richmond WCE all look about right and with us :) that’s a handy top 4.

Phillips is stapled into the best 22. It’s not even a discussion point.

Yes it is. By mid season he will lament in the seconds, A hand full of players will be way ahead of him

His lack of pace and inability to kick with his right will be exposed as the young & the old start to gain form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, but worth having a stab, I decided to do my 2019 ladder predictor today for what it’s worth.

View attachment 595818
We look very very good team on paper but the new rule changes are a very big disruptor. And if last year is anything to go by, our fwd line made out of misfits shook the AFL heaven/ Who is to say that another team can't do the same in 2019?
Melbourne are mentally weak. Flat track bullies. They capitulated against WCE.
Tiges ditto. I hope the PF left some deep scars. Clubs ( including the Tiges themselves ) know they can be beaten :)

Using our GF team as a starting point we need one taller option and potentially two in defence. Given the pressure for spots and last season’s structure I’d back Langdon in to hold CHB. Assuming Reid stays forward full back is down to Moore, Roughead and depending on his knee ideally Dunn.

Beams is a certain inclusion likewise Elliott if fit and possibly Wells. Appleby and Quaynor could also force their way in.

Mihocek should start ahead of Reid.

Goldsack, Greenwood and Aish were in the last few at the back end of 2018 and a case could be made for Thomas too. It also remains to be seen if Mayne and Varcoe can hold their form and spot.

If Reid, Goldsack, Greenwood and Roughead are considered depth only and Beams a certain best 22 it’s a battle between 10 for the last 5 spots.

Those 5 spots can be further broken down to smaller contests based on position and role:

• Dunn, Moore
• Elliott, Wells, Thomas
• Mayne, Aish
• Varcoe, Appleby, Quaynor

Pick an one from each group and one extra. There’s going to be some unlucky blokes.

B: Brayden Maynard, Tom Langdon, Jack Crisp

HB: Jeremy Howe, Tyson Goldsack, Travis Varcoe

C: Adam Treloar, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips

HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jordan De Goey

F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jaidyn Stephenson

Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

Int: Brayden Sier, James Aish, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood

Emg: Jarryd Blair, Ben Reid, Callum Brown, Flynn Appleby

EDIT:
To put my best 22 thoughts into a team structure

B: Maynard, Dunn/Moore, Crisp
HB: Howe, Langdon, Varcoe/Appleby/Quaynor
C: Treloar, Pendlebury, Mayne/Aish
HF: Beams, Mihocek, Elliott/Wells/Thomas
F: DeGoey, Cox, Stephenson

Foll: Grundy, Adams, Sidebottom

Int: Hoskin-Elliott, Phillips, Sier, Wells/Thomas/Aish
Emg: Appleby/Quaynor, Moore, two of - Wells/Thomas/Aish

Note: Moore could be added to the 22 in place of Wells/Thomas/Aish if the opposition warrant it

Last edited:
Using our GF team as a starting point we need one taller option and potentially two in defence. Given the pressure for spots and last season’s structure I’d back Langdon in to hold CHB. Assuming Reid stays forward full back is down to Moore, Roughead and depending on his knee ideally Dunn.

Beams is a certain inclusion likewise Elliott if fit and possibly Wells. Appleby and Quaynor could also force their way in.

Mihocek should start ahead of Reid.

Goldsack, Greenwood and Aish were in the last few at the back end of 2018 and a case could be made for Thomas too. It also remains to be seen if Mayne and Varcoe can hold their form and spot.

If Reid, Goldsack, Greenwood and Roughead are considered depth only and Beams a certain best 22 it’s a battle between 10 for the last 5 spots.

Those 5 spots can be further broken down to smaller contests based on position and role:

• Dunn, Moore
• Elliott, Wells, Thomas
• Mayne, Aish
• Varcoe, Appleby, Quaynor

Pick an one from each group and one extra. There’s going to be some unlucky blokes.

B: Brayden Maynard, Tom Langdon, Jack Crisp

HB: Jeremy Howe, Tyson Goldsack, Travis Varcoe

C: Adam Treloar, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips

HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jordan De Goey

F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jaidyn Stephenson

Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

Int: Brayden Sier, James Aish, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood

Emg: Jarryd Blair, Ben Reid, Callum Brown, Flynn Appleby

In the first three rounds we might come up against Hawkins, Lynch and Kennedy at CHF. Not sure that Langdon can hold his own against them. Also if Moore is fit, think full back might be the wrong position for him because one of the advantages he offers is mobility apart from marking strength. Surely further up the ground allows for this.

A fit Elliott has to play which brings into question the position of Josh Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back