Prediction Proposed Pies Rd 1 team, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think everybody knows that I'm a wrap for Sier; he's great around the contest with his strength and vision, but I'd like to see him get out in the open a bit more. Maybe that will come. He is not a certain 22 yet in my book.
Elliott and Dunn playing R1? I'd very much doubt it. Elliott has a long way to go. He'll start in the VFL team surely.....if he's playing at all.
Dunn will be back early in the season from what I read, but I'd be going carefully with him.
Phillips is definitely in our best 22. Almost our hardest worker, played every game. A lock.
James Aish was fantastic until he got injured. Lots of upside still. Mayne and Aish to battle for a spot. Murphy will move into the team this year. Half back or maybe wing?
Thomas played every game, kicked 38 goals, but........there are some doubts for mine. Reckon Beamsy takes his spot.
Apples the real fun part is looking at the full list for 2019 and assuming everyone is up and about.

How many absolute rock solid without doubt locks are there?

That’s a bit tricky as quite a few can make real cases.

But where your post bears fruit* is noting how in some circumstances some are not necessarily locks on best 22.
Elliott, Thomas and Sier :eek: pretend I didn’t use his name for this) could all in theory be not absolute locks.
Even Stephenson could be viewed to be sure he comes up in his second season. Though suspect he’ll be a lock all the same the niggle of second year players....

The rock solid rolled gold locks, if I’m sticking my neck out, might be:

De Goey, Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury, Beams, Adams, Sidebottom, Crisp, Howe.

* did you like the pun phrase here, in keeping with your name?

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
I've had a crack and gee - your best 22 looks great! Not sure on fitness of some of your players but if you could get this 22 on the park at one time look out!

Howe Roughhead Langdon
Crisp Moore Maynard
Treloar Beams Sidebum
WHE Moihocek Stephenson
De Goey Cox Varcoe

Grundy Pendles Adams

Bench from: Thomas Phillips Wells Elliot

Emergency: Sier Mayne Greenwood

Eddie Van Halen

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
HNS, Melbourne Knights, Rijeka
I've had a crack and gee - your best 22 looks great! Not sure on fitness of some of your players but if you could get this 22 on the park at one time look out!

Howe Roughhead Langdon
Crisp Moore Maynard
Treloar Beams Sidebum
WHE Moihocek Stephenson
De Goey Cox Varcoe

Grundy Pendles Adams

Our best 22 must feature the Berg.
Must.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see the likes of Stephenson, Sier and possibly Quaynor as likelihoods to be named for round 1 for the sake of the future. Even if they aren't best 22 right now, they'll get a better education and experience at AFL level. It means that a few older bodies might miss out even though they are best 22 - guys like Goldsack, Mayne and Greenwood.

B: Langdon Dunn Maynard

HB: Crisp Moore Howe

C: Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom

HF: Hoskin-Elliott Mihochek De Goey

F: Thomas Cox Stephenson

R: Grundy Treloar Beams

I: Adams Sier Quaynor Aish

E: Scharenberg Mayne Goldsack Varcoe

Assumes Elliott is still injured - otherwise he displaces Aish

It's the classic 'good problem to have" - anyone who has a couple of poor games will be in danger of getting dropped. It would be great if Quaynor could do a Stevo and play every game in his first year though, and also be amazing if Stevo can chalk up his 50th game in his second season.

Last edited:

kaistar

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s an interesting debate, obviously our entire squad this year is very deep and as long as the list stays reasonably healthy, spots will be hard to come by id imagine.
Realistically, without any injuries or suspensions. Not including (Shaz) as in my opinion is he is clear best 22, but probably the only remaining long term injury on our list as Dunn appears likely to return early in the season.
Our best 22 would look something like this in my opinion:
Langdon Dunn Maynard
Howe Moore Crisp
Phillips Beams Siddebottom
Hoskin-Elliot Cox Pendlebury
Elliot De Goey Mihocek
Grundy Adams Treloar
Wells Aish Stephenson Sier

Langdon - gun intercepter and wouldn’t be surprised if an AA push is on the cards.
Dunn - with the luck of a speedy recovery, can hopefully relocate his form from last year before his injury and be out lockdown key defender.
Maynard - Ideally would love to push for more midfield time but with the depth of our unprecedentedly talented midfield, he will remain in the backline and usually take the oppositions most dangerous small forward. If injuries do strike our midfield, I wouldn’t be surprised if Quaynor is performing as J expect him to, to move into Maynard’s spot as Brayden pushes up the ground.
Howe - the leader of our backline, expect him to continue his great form from the past few years and the able to go back to playing his natural role as a third or fourth tall defender.
Moore - hoping he is injury free, I expect him to emerge as one of the premier CHB’s in the comp. if he struggles, a move back forward wouldn’t be out of the question in my eyes.
Pendlebury - with the addition of Beams and emergence of Sier, Pendlebury should spend his twilight years as our quarterback of half back. His vision, awareness, decision making, leadership and skills will add another dynamic to our back half.
Phillips- as long as he builds on last season and manages to improve his consistency as well as ball use, he could be a damaging link man and component of our potent midfield.
Beama - oh isn’t it great to have him back, A grader straight into the middle, expect a big season from this guy.
Siddebottom - with the emergence of Sier, return of Beams and hopefully a healthy Wells will move Steele back to the wing. Hope he can imitate his season from last year and propel us one step further.

Obviously this side excludes the likes of Thomas, Varcoe, Roughead, Greenwood and Mayne.
Those who are on the fringe and based on form could still be omitted would be Mihocek, Aish and Possibly Dunn. Can’t see who else would be omitted if injury free.

All whom would be bonafife best 22 players in I’d say pretty much every other team in the Comp.
Thomas would be very stiff to miss out on selection but he does have a tendency to go missing and a healthy Jamie Elliot just edges him out. I really wouldn’t be surprised if Quaynor, Murphy, Daicos, C.Brown all push for consistent selection and could be indulged based on from in our regular best 22.
It’s gonna be an interesting year and the fight for spots, with a healthy list, will be great to watch.

Only got half the player reports done, didn’t let me post the whole thing here.
Feedback is wanted.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Howe Roughhead Langdon
Crisp Moore Maynard
Treloar Beams Sidebum
WHE Moihocek Stephenson
De Goey Cox Varcoe

Grundy Pendles Adams

Roughead over Dunn?

Apr 17, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apologies if a similar thread already exists Feel free to merge if so.

The AFL.com website have just put together what they believe to be our Rd 1 team of those players available (suspension and injuries keep some out eg Scharenberg)

That team is as follows

B: Brayden Maynard, Lynden Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Travis Varcoe, Daniel Wells, Brayden Sier, Josh Thomas

Defender depth: Tyson Goldsack, Ben Reid, Matt Scharenberg, Flynn Appleby, Nathan Murphy, Jack Madgen, Isaac Quaynor, Will Kelly, Mark Keane, Sam Murray

Forward depth: Ben Crocker, Tim Broomhead, Anton Tohill, Atu Bosenavulagi

Midfield depth: Tom Phillips, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood, James Aish, Callum Brown, Tyler Brown, Josh Daicos, Rupert Wills

Ruck depth: Jordan Roughead, Max Lynch

Proposed modifications
- I think the bench needs at least one defender on it for rotations. Drop Wells and introduce Quaynor, Murphy or Aish depending upon pre-season form and the opposition mix.
- I think Phillips, as our best runner, should take a wing. I'd leave out Thomas given the reintroduction of Elliott to the team and place either Adams, but probably Treloar, on the bench as part of the midfield rotations..

Otherwise, I think the team is a very strong one. it'd be great to field a team of this quality throughout the season.
I love this team.
Though, there is no chance that Phillips misses. Barring a form disaster, he is a LOCK
Swap Roughead for Dunn. I don’t think Dunn will be ready.
Varcoe and Wells fall by the wayside. They will be depth. Aish, Quaynor and Murphy will be fighting for the last bench spot.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking at all the proposed teams for round 1, what is clearly evident is we have depth.
And very good depth. Those given above as missing (and unlucky) from the first round show strong medium level talent.

Very positive signs.

Players like Greenwood, Varcoe, Phillips, Thomas, Mayne, Aish etc all indicate our depth levels are strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking at all the proposed teams for round 1, what is clearly evident is we have depth.
And very good depth. Those given above as missing (and unlucky) from the first round show strong medium level talent.

Very positive signs.

Players like Greenwood, Varcoe, Phillips, Thomas, Mayne, Aish etc all indicate our depth levels are strong.
Agreed, Our depth is strong.

But guys like Varcoe, Greenwood, Mayne can go from really solid contributors to really struggling very quickly,.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreed, Our depth is strong.

But guys like Varcoe, Greenwood, Mayne can go from really solid contributors to really struggling very quickly,.
Though they are 3 of the toughest mindset and hard working hombres out there.

vicparksfinest

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely those 3 are all hard workers and hopefully more footy left. I love Varcoe. Towards the end of the year IMO he was so valuable. A lot dont have him in the best 22 which i simply cant understand.
Especially through the finals and clutch games last year his presence was huge and made the team quicker and cleaner.
His defensive efforts and pressure acts are second to none, little things like hard bumps (broke prestias ribs during the year) are irreplaceable.
Wells is 5 down the pecking order for that's last spot in the 22 just can't see why people are putting the home in over the like so of JT or even Appleby!
Varcoe is a LOCK.

Agree with the above re Varcoe. I’ve grown to love this guy so much. Seems loved by his teammates too, is a key part of our hard won on field chemistry.

He’s a tough footballer, and while his career is closer to the end than the beginning, I expect when fit he is one of the first chosen. The coaches would love his effort and selfless acts.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Especially through the finals and clutch games last year his presence was huge and made the team quicker and cleaner.
His defensive efforts and pressure acts are second to none, little things like hard bumps (broke prestias ribs during the year) are irreplaceable.
Wells is 5 down the pecking order for that's last spot in the 22 just can't see why people are putting the home in over the like so of JT or even Appleby!
Varcoe is a LOCK.
If Wells plays more than 2 games i will be gobsmacked. Injuries aside he is just not needed anymore. Body will only get worse. After doing nothing for 2 years not sure why anyone suspects at 33 he will have an impact.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If Wells plays more than 2 games i will be gobsmacked. Injuries aside he is just not needed anymore. Body will only get worse. After doing nothing for 2 years not sure why anyone suspects at 33 he will have an impact.

I wouldn't write Wells off so quickly personally. He's a quality player who has been injured. If he gets fit and over the injuries I don't see why he can't have an impact.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wouldn't write Wells off so quickly personally. He's a quality player who has been injured. If he gets fit and over the injuries I don't see why he can't have an impact.
Lol. His body has been cooked for years. It’s time to move on. Any fantasy of him having an impact is just that. Regardless would need at least 6 games in the VFL before I’d even entertain the idea of bringing him in.

We stared improving last year when we finished games with 4 on the bench.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lol. His body has been cooked for years. It’s time to move on. Any fantasy of him having an impact is just that. Regardless would need at least 6 games in the VFL before I’d even entertain the idea of bringing him in.

We stared improving last year when we finished games with 4 on the bench.

So if Wells is fully fighting fit you don't think he is worth consideration for selection?

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Agree with that. I would also think that the selectors themselves have probably moved on from him, especially with Beams returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back