B: Langdon Dunn Maynard

HB: Quaynor Murphy Howe

C: Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom

HF: Hoskin-Elliott Mihocek De Goey

F: Thomas Cox Stephenson

R: Grundy Treloar Beams

I: Adams Sier Crisp Moore

E: Roughead Mayne Aish Varcoe

I'd drop Thomas before i'd drop Varcoe. One stood up when it mattered the other went missing. I also think there is a need to balance the team with guys that do the defensive stuff.

Gee that's a tough call when you look at the overall seasons of the 2 in 2018. Thomas got about 50% more footy (on average) and had about twice the scoreboard impact (on average). I know Thomas is poor in terms of that 2-way running but that's a pretty significant advantage and he offers an additional inside midfielder when required.

Gee that's a tough call when you look at the overall seasons of the 2 in 2018. Thomas got about 50% more footy (on average) and had about twice the scoreboard impact (on average). I know Thomas is poor in terms of that 2-way running but that's a pretty significant advantage and he offers an additional inside midfielder when required.
Yes his season was better and I'm a JT fan.
He did go missing at finals time though.

B: Langdon Dunn Maynard

HB: Quaynor Murphy Howe

C: Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom

HF: Hoskin-Elliott Mihocek De Goey

F: Thomas Cox Stephenson

R: Grundy Treloar Beams

I: Adams Sier Crisp Moore

E: Roughead Mayne Aish Varcoe
We are in a premiership window. I cant see quaynor and Murphy getting a gig that early.

We are in a premiership window. I cant see quaynor and Murphy getting a gig that early.

Might depend on injuries. Everyone is raving about Quaynor and he looks more mature than many youngsters.

Think Moore will play if available. Scott Pendlebury said before that he is an impressive specimen and great athlete is Darc, who is getting better every time he trains and said that adds a lot to our group. So it is hard to see Murphy playing key position ahead of him.

Might depend on injuries. Everyone is raving about Quaynor and he looks more mature than many youngsters.

Think Moore will play if available. Scott Pendlebury said before that he is an impressive specimen and great athlete is Darc, who is getting better every time he trains and said that adds a lot to our group. So it is hard to see Murphy playing key position ahead of him.

Quaynor hasn't even played a game yet, that's nothing to rave about.

If he has a great JLT series then maybe you could consider it, still no reason to rush him into the team before he's ready.

Last edited:

Still behind Appleby at this stage you'd think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quaynor hasn't even played a game yet, that's nothing to rave about.

If he has a great JLT series then maybe you could consider it, still no reason to rush him into the team before he's ready.

Agreed, but the signs are good with Quaynor.

Top 5 consistently in the 2k time trials and we know he can kick - he won the goal kicking trial at the Combine.

From what I have seen on the track
- he is reasonably strong for his size;
- relatively quick;
- neat by foot; and
- finished top 10 in the vertical leap at the combine (meaning he can compete against taller opponents in the air)

In that respect, he is more physically mature than Stephenson. Stephenson's express pace, good endurance and goal sense allowed him to cement a spot from Rd 1. In that respect, Quaynor remains a shot for Rd 1 himself. A guy like Aish, who hasn't been ready for competitive work pre Christmas, must be at risk of conceding his place to him. Not sure where Crisp is with his readiness. Was the least sighted on the track of our senior players pre Christmas.

A new kid looks good on the track haha. Havent heard these things before!
The late Jack Hamilton’s last ever article he wrote was about March champions on the track then...

But.

Better to be saying a newbie is killing it in the track than being a pest or doing not much.

IQ has a ripper name, almost deserves to play just to scream out we have the best IQ :)

Reckon we’ll play the same front six + Varcoe that we did in the grand final. Elliott will assumably need a few runs in the VFL before returning to the firsts.
You get a like for using a word I didn’t know existed!

Interestingly there isn't a great deal of variation in most best 22s. The OP quoted 22 is close enough to it. Arguably Phillips should be in. Fully fit Reid is best 22. Unfortunately he will most likely never be fully fit again. At his average when available over the last few years he's probably our best KP back from Dunn who also would be doubtful for a flying start to the year. Then there's Moore who is a speculative high level CHB. I'd rather have him forward if Reid can get fit and stay sound.

I wouldn't have a tall on the bench. Cox & Moore guive us ruck depth and Moore can play either end if needed. We can go small up forward if Cox or Moore are injured or playing poorly or we can move Reid forward if need be. Keep the bench for running rotations and run sides off their feet.

B: Brayden Maynard, Lynden Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Ben Reid, Steele Sidebottom
C: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips
HF:Taylor Adams, Darcy Moore, Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Travis Varcoe, Daniel Wells, Brayden Sier, Josh Thomas
EM: Jack Crisp, Brody Mihocek, Levi Greenwood, James Aish

Our midfield is very strong. Our forward line if all available is very strong but there are big fitness doubts over Moore and Elliot. Our key back are a worry from an age/fitness perspective.

We may not all be able to agree on our best 22 but I think one thing we all agree on is there will be a couple of players who are very stiff to miss out. The above is a well reasoned assessment but then I see Crisp as an emergency and I'm like WTF?!

The reality is our best 22 is unlikley to ever be available so those unlucky to miss out probably generally end up playing.

We may not all be able to agree on our best 22 but I think one thing we all agree on is there will be a couple of players who are very stiff to miss out. The above is a well reasoned assessment but then I see Crisp as an emergency and I'm like WTF?!

Agree but he's not yet in full training so we'll have to wait and see how his preseason progresses. Much of the conjecture around R1 22's seems to stem from similar uncertainty.

Last edited:
If I’m not more careful, some AFL journalists will steal my word and abuse it themselves
Imagine what slobbo would do with it?
Nah, he’d just keep drinking cheap beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back