News Proposed Redevelopment of Subiaco

Remove this Banner Ad

Surf culture is so niche, more niche than AFL. Most people that go to the beach just sit around enjoying the view and sun not many even go for a dip. Our beaches suck for surfing but are top tier in terms of atmosphere and physical beauty. The vast majority of beach goers will just go, lets go to the real thing for free.

This s**t isnt happening guys.

Surf culture is so niche, more niche than AFL. Most people that go to the beach just sit around enjoying the view and sun not many even go for a dip. Our beaches suck for surfing but are top tier in terms of atmosphere and physical beauty. The vast majority of beach goers will just go, lets go to the real thing for free.

This s**t isnt happening guys.

It's not just for local surfers and there are more surfers in wa than what non surfers probably realise. You don't see them in Perth because there is little surf in Perth.

This isn't just for locals but a tourist attraction. There is very little in Perth for tourists so that's part of the reason why it's being proposed.

Sometimes an idea comes along and grabs you in such a way that you have to ask "why wasn't this thought of earlier?"

An idea so visionary that its benefits to the wider community are self evident.

An idea that demands implementation IMMEDIATELY.

This is not that idea.

Let me pull the plug on it right now.

images

It's not just for local surfers and there are more surfers in wa than what non surfers probably realise. You don't see them in Perth because there is little surf in Perth.

This isn't just for locals but a tourist attraction. There is very little in Perth for tourists so that's part of the reason why it's being proposed.
I totally agree with your second point but I'm just not feeling this one.

Ask the people of Perth what they would want and it would be more hospitals, which is ironically what you would need as everybody would be dying of boredom.

There is very little in Perth for people to do. Most other major capitals of the world have more attractions than Perth.

We need something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but the business shop owners need more people in Subi especially tourists. Short term profit over long sustained cash flow.

Like Fremantle, Subi needs higher density living if it wants to survive in it's current format. Weekend shopping and tourism is simply not enough to sustain a viable shopping precinct of the size of those two. Long term sustained cash flow is more ably provided by significantly increasing the local population than it is by niche attractions.

IMO this would be a total white elephant which 99% of people would visit once and never again.

The same mob (as far as the wave technology) is building a much bigger one in Austin. The guy behind it is Doug Coors (as in the Coors brewery). Should be ready in 6-9 months. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I think it can work in a land-locked place with a huge population pool nearby to draw on (Houson, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin), plus a lot of people visit Austin from outside Texas. It's out near the F1 track and airport ... a lot more viable than building in the middle of the city, but not too far away from downtown either (20 minutes).

These big recreation parks can be awesome. I've been to the U.S. National Whitewater Centre outside of Charlotte. It was incredible. Whitewater rafting/kayaking, rock climbing, miles of mountain biking trails, flat water kayaking, zip lining, rope/obstacle courses, etc. I'm not sure they make much money though, with all the startup/operating costs.

I like the idea a lot however, I'm yet to see a decent quality wave produced by a wave park anywhere. They're mostly gutless waves suited to kids or beginners.

Agree but in reality that is the market where you can make the most. A large wave park with really good waves would cost a shiz load more in land and water pumping and treatment just so you can get adults. The small Darwin type one would be much cheaper to run and you can pack it full of grommets and kids. Fact is most of Subiaco oval will be apartments but something like a rock climbing/wave pool/water slide park wtc. or combination of these within that in an inner city area should be viable and attract the punters and be good for kids who will be growing up in those apartments.

I like the idea a lot however, I'm yet to see a decent quality wave produced by a wave park anywhere. They're mostly gutless waves suited to kids or beginners.

That's the biggest issue I would have. They need to have tines for beginners, intermediate and advanced but that would require some very good engineering skills.

I can't see that happening.

I can't believe people seriously think this is a good idea. There is no way it could possibly pay for itself hence it would have to be subsidised. People gripe about shelling out for stadium out to cater for a few sports that a substantial minority of the population attend, you seriously think they'd be okay with subsidising surfing to the tune of hundreds of millions?
Also why would you build a wave park inland? It's a landlocked design, we're not. It'd be far cheaper to operate (and arguably to construct) if you built it down at the beach where you have a unlimited supply of inlet water and only minimal treatment would be required for discharge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back