News Proposed Redevelopment of Subiaco

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe people seriously think this is a good idea. There is no way it could possibly pay for itself hence it would have to be subsidised. People gripe about shelling out for stadium out to cater for a few sports that a substantial minority of the population attend, you seriously think they'd be okay with subsidising surfing to the tune of hundreds of millions?
Also why would you build a wave park inland? It's a landlocked design, we're not. It'd be far cheaper to operate (and arguably to construct) if you built it down at the beach where you have a unlimited supply of inlet water and only minimal treatment would be required for discharge.

The experts can get around with the water treatment it's called modern science.

It would eventually pay for itself you can have flood lights and thousands of surfers wanting to catch a wave before and after work. Students on holidays and weekends. Tourists any day of the week.

Perth is one of the least progressive cities in the world for tourism. Our Zoo as much as I like going with my girl is nothing compared to over east plus Queensland has all the theme parks that generate heaps of money although they cost heaps to construct and maintain. This wave is not a ride it once and you won't ride again wave. Like I said it's 100× better than any wave you can catch in Perth in summer. It's better than winter surf as well plus you don't have 50 guys competing for the 1 wave. This is what non surfers wouldn't realize. You also won't need to wake up at dawn as the waves can roll through all day long.

Yes it will most likely be high rise apartments a very safe and boring option. Politicians and the apathetic public like to play it safe.

Why do tourists chose other capital cities over Perth? I think it's glaringly obvious.

I can't believe people seriously think this is a good idea. There is no way it could possibly pay for itself hence it would have to be subsidised. People gripe about shelling out for stadium out to cater for a few sports that a substantial minority of the population attend, you seriously think they'd be okay with subsidising surfing to the tune of hundreds of millions?
Also why would you build a wave park inland? It's a landlocked design, we're not. It'd be far cheaper to operate (and arguably to construct) if you built it down at the beach where you have a unlimited supply of inlet water and only minimal treatment would be required for discharge.

Just add it to the Elizabeth Quay proposal...sorted!

The experts can get around with the water treatment it's called modern science.

It would eventually pay for itself you can have flood lights and thousands of surfers wanting to catch a wave before and after work. Students on holidays and weekends. Tourists any day of the week.

Perth is one of the least progressive cities in the world for tourism. Our Zoo as much as I like going with my girl is nothing compared to over east plus Queensland has all the theme parks that generate heaps of money although they cost heaps to construct and maintain. This wave is not a ride it once and you won't ride again wave. Like I said it's 100× better than any wave you can catch in Perth in summer. It's better than winter surf as well plus you don't have 50 guys competing for the 1 wave. This is what non surfers wouldn't realize. You also won't need to wake up at dawn as the waves can roll through all day long.

Yes it will most likely be high rise apartments a very safe and boring option. Politicians and the apathetic public like to play it safe.

Why do tourists chose other capital cities over Perth? I think it's glaringly obvious.
No it wouldn't. That's fantasy thinking. The one they are putting in in Texas for instance has what would amount to sizeable fraction of the entire population of Australia within 5 hours drive of it. Tourists don't choose Perth as tourist destination because it's a medium sized regional capital in the middle of nowhere. Putting in a wave park wouldn't attract even 1/10th of the people needed to help start making such a facility viable.
Adding big attractions to cities are the cherry on the cake, the thing that makes them choose that city over option x and y that are otherwise similar. People hardly go out of their way for stuff in cities that aren't hard to get to (unlike ours) but are otherwise unexceptional. Would you go to St Louis just to see the Gateway Arch? Some people would, but not many. They have to want to come here in the first place which is something you build towards incrementally: Encouraging vibrancy through innovative planning, and spending public money on facilities that offers the highest ROI. Stuff like this would be the opposite without the saving grace of artistic or architectural merit (like the SOH).
Also my point about the water was that it would be cheaper. Not that it would be impossible. Darwin's wave park is on the sea, even though you can't swim in it and thus, in theory, it could be anywhere, like right in the centre of town. It's on the sea because it's far far cheaper that way.

Here is another version of the story.

http://architectureau.com/articles/concepts-for-post-afl-subiaco-oval/

It appears there is also a proposal to turn the site into 'Subicon Valley'

The concept, an integrated campus for education and innovation, is essentially Perth’s answer to Silicon Valley, hence the name.

It would include secondary and tertiary education facilities, a start-up incubator and a 40-storey residential tower incorporating a 160-metre rock climbing wall which would be the world’s tallest.

Now I've been saying for years that Perth really needs something resembling a 500 foot high turd on the doorstep of the CBD.

"Be careful when you reach the 400 foot mark Timmy and remember to wave to nanna in Hammy Hill if you make it to the top".

A dose of reality folks.

Perth's population is forecast to reach 3 million by 2030. By 2050 it is expected to reach 5 million.

What this city requires is a massive increase in higher density living, as close to the city, as possible.

We have a state government which has somehow managed to rack up enormous debts during the greatest mining boom in the state's history.

A government which is currently looking to sell off assets to reduce that debt in the hope of restoring their precious AAA credit rating.

Do you really believe they will commit to a 9 figure wave park project? (Remember they have a 10 figure football stadium project on the go at the moment. A stadium which will be largely unused for 6 months each year).

And what of the City of Subiaco Council (CSC)?

How many surf loving ratepayers reside in the CSC?

A wave park project will never break even and will require never ending taxpayers funds injections. (How many people will use it in winter?)

The state government will pass on some of those losses to the CSC.

The land at Subi Oval, Kitchener and Mueller Parks is worth mega millions. The state government will want those millions and the CSC will want the guaranteed millions in council rates that it will yield.

There's a reason why Adventure World and similar projects are located where they are.

Just add it to the Elizabeth Quay proposal...sorted!
When you think about it, it's perfect. Nobody is using it (even Chevron's building has been delayed). Just boom the end closed and wack in a wave generator. Done for a fraction of the price.
Colin could open it, catching the first gnarly ceremonial wave; resplendent in jeweled speedos.

When you think about it, it's perfect. Nobody is using it (even Chevron's building has been delayed). Just boom the end closed and wack in a wave generator. Done for a fraction of the price.
Colin could open it, catching the first gnarly ceremonial wave; resplendent in jeweled speedos.

Funny

Yes I know it's hard to take in progressive ideas for the demographic who sit in front of their computer posting things all day while playing with themselves and don't surf.

This isn't the demographic anyway. Survey the rest of society. The majority who like getting out and about.

Some good clean community fun for the rich state.

It needs to be obviously more than just a wave. Playground and slides for kids. Kiosk and activity centre.

The cams installed can also have surfers pay good money on video footage and pics of their session. This wouldn't be achievable for the average surfer at the beach instead only on some high expense surf tour.

I would know as my father used to run surf tours world wide.

Funny

Yes I know it's hard to take in progressive ideas for the demographic who sit in front of their computer posting things all day while playing with themselves and don't surf.

This isn't the demographic anyway. Survey the rest of society. The majority who like getting out and about.

Some good clean community fun for the rich state.

It needs to be obviously more than just a wave. Playground and slides for kids. Kiosk and activity centre.

The cams installed can also have surfers pay good money on video footage and pics of their session. This wouldn't be achievable for the average surfer at the beach instead only on some high expense surf tour.

I would know as my father used to run surf tours world wide.
Its not really that progressive is all. Its basically a grubby little pond that is sort of shitting on our states greatest natural asset.

Its not really that progressive is all. Its basically a grubby little pond that is sort of shitting on our states greatest natural asset.

Yes the beach is lovely I've spent more time there than the majority of posters on here. The thing is unless you want to drive 3 hours plus out of Perth there is no waves. Not that convenient for the Perth public.

Grubby pond well that's only if the engineers design it to be one.

Sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous and fanciful things I've heard of in my entire life. Even if they were going to build one why would they use some of the most expensive prime real estate in the entire city, and in an area where the locals are known to complain about even the smallest of noise or disturbance?

Will never, ever happen, at least not there.

Sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous and fanciful things I've heard of in my entire life. Even if they were going to build one why would they use some of the most expensive prime real estate in the entire city, and in an area where the locals are known to complain about even the smallest of noise or disturbance?

Will never, ever happen, at least not there.

Why you not progressive ?!?

Added benefit of moving the water around in the inlet to stop algal blooms :thumbsu:

Get it done jedi mind tricks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all sit here in front of our computers posting all day and playing with ourselves ? Really. And if we're on the internet all day surely that counts as surfing?
On top of that you're at the beach more than the majority of the posters here? How would you know that? Let's not go into the fact you're sitting at nearly 6,500 posts in a little over 4 years. Who's sitting all day at the computer?
Really jedi mind tricks I think your trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

I understand you're really excited about a project someone's dreamed up. You would call it visionary. It's NEVER going to happen though. No one cares that much about surfers and they're travel woes.

We all sit here in front of our computers posting all day and playing with ourselves ? Really. And if we're on the internet all day surely that counts as surfing?
On top of that you're at the beach more than the majority of the posters here? How would you know that? Let's not go into the fact you're sitting at nearly 6,500 posts in a little over 4 years. Who's sitting all day at the computer?
Really jedi mind tricks I think your trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

I understand you're really excited about a project someone's dreamed up. You would call it visionary. It's NEVER going to happen though. No one cares that much about surfers and they're travel woes.

You don't care but you don't make up the general population of whom love the outdoors. Not all have to be avid surfers to be interested in a break from the norm.

You don't care but you don't make up the general population of whom love the outdoors. Not all have to be avid surfers to be interested in a break from the norm.

I do care about decent outdoor spaces. Hence the reason I don't live in the city.

I do have an idea for an entertainment/sport idea that could utilise Subi...

You could convert it into a speedway/greyhound track ...subi residents would Love that.

Alternatively you could roof it and make man made snow in it and produce an indoor ski slope. A la Dubai! Bit of a hike up to block 415 but the ski down would be worth it.

There...three alternative lifestyle choices for Subi...how'd they grab you?

On top of that you're at the beach more than the majority of the posters here? How would you know that? Let's not go into the fact you're sitting at nearly 6,500 posts in a little over 4 years.

Pffft. Teriyakicat has racked up like 40k in 2 years :p:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back