Prospects of the Giants in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions_Prid3

Debutant
Jan 10, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I find the Giants one of the most fascinating teams heading into the season. We all know what happened in the GF, and of the tendency for teams to drop off the year after such a mauling in the big dance.

The case can be made however, that they were well and truly cooked for that final game. A wet slog against the Pies, after travelling up to Brisbane the week before in a nail biter.

For me however, the thing that makes it truly interesting is the fact that they engaged Cooper Cronk's services in attempting to address the loss and general performance.

The man is a great of his sport, a true professional, and despite all his success with the Storm, Roosters and Queensland he also lost 4 or 5 premierships.

With the amount of talent on the list, and the re-signings over the summer there is a bit of good news about the Giants. Some injury luck and they could well give themselves a great chance to go one further.

Although they obviously play for him, and each other, I personally just can't help but feel Leon is the not the right coach to take them to a flag, but time will tell. Excited to see what they bring to the table in season 2020.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me however, the thing that makes it truly interesting is the fact that they engaged Cooper Cronk's services in attempting to address the loss and general performance.

The man is a great of his sport, a true professional, and despite all his success with the Storm, Roosters and Queensland he also lost 4 or 5 premierships.

I think Cronk is a 3-time 'losing' Grand Finalist (2006, 2008 & 2016) with the Melbourne Storm; while a 6-time Premiership player ( with an asterix attached to two of them). But he is going to be a great motivator and figure around the club, being able to talk about his own experiences and adapting them to AFL; especially if Cronk is as effective in the role as Billy Slater was at St. Kilda in 2019.

Despite St. Kilda not having an amazing season in 2019; I've heard amazing things about Slater's impact on the club. The boys really appreciated the leadership education, tackling drills and how involved Slater got in training. I heard there was even a few St. Kilda games that Slater reviewed & gave feedback to the club on on his own initiative (not part of his contract).

Yep you're right, 3 time that should read. Both Cronk and Slater would be an asset to any team. I think I just like the initiative for the Giants to not sweep it under the carpet and address the elephant in the room. We all saw first hand that the Crows went the wrong way about it, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays off.
I think Cronk is a 3-time 'losing' Grand Finalist (2006, 2008 & 2016) with the Melbourne Storm; while a 6-time Premiership player ( with an asterix attached to two of them). But he is going to be a great motivator and figure around the club, being able to talk about his own experiences and adapting them to AFL; especially if Cronk is as effective in the role as Billy Slater was at St. Kilda in 2019.

Despite St. Kilda not having an amazing season in 2019; I've heard amazing things about Slater's impact on the club. The boys really appreciated the leadership education, tackling drills and how involved Slater got in training. I heard there was even a few St. Kilda games that Slater reviewed & gave feedback to the club on on his own initiative (not part of his contract).

Is slater still with the saints in 2020?

Yep you're right, 3 time that should read. Both Cronk and Slater would be an asset to any team. I think I just like the initiative for the Giants to not sweep it under the carpet and address the elephant in the room. We all saw first hand that the Crows went the wrong way about it, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays off.

NQ cowboys were crap for a while, then got a premiership, I think GC suns should give Jonathan Thurston a position

Maybe GWS Giants should get Cooper Cronk to play in the ruck as he could not do any worse than Shane
Mumford did last year, I kept thinking big Shane was about to go all Alistair Lynch on someone and apart
from a few lame cork attempts he did nothing. In fact Trent Cotchin took him down UFC style in the
Grand Final on the wing which should make any genuine big man contemplate retirement or a switch to
ballet, who am I kidding those ballet folks are tough. I would have gone Sam Jacobs and another mature
ruck leaving Briggs and Flynn more time to mature. NEAFL is probably too low a level of football to gain
significant development for their young players. They have played finals the last four years and maybe
should have won the flag in 2016, but for a Stevie J suspension and an accidental knock out to Ward.
Luck with injury and they will contend again they simply have too much class not to, but five to ten of
their younger players need to step up and own best 22 selection and trim the reliance on the big names.
As the cream of the Kick/Mark sides their losses reek of disconnect with very high DPG or Disposal Per
Goal for example; 51.43, 35.00, 66.60, 42.78, 37.10, 35.27, 44.00, 87.00, 39.78, and 120.33, see if
you can pick the Grand Final and the two Hawthorn Losses, think high.

Is slater still with the saints in 2020?

I believe so-- pretty sure I saw an Instagram story of him at St. Kilda training a month or two ago where he was doing Tackling drills. It's only a PT role as Slater also does some work with the Storm, does media work with Ch.9, is involved in horse breeding and a part owner in a brewery. A busy man that Billy Slater.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back