Protected Area nonsense

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a s**t rule but I don't know how you can argue that one.

He should have ran straight out to the right of screen when Kolo took the mark.

Instead he ran left of screen and hooked back around the back of Kolo.

He was not following a man.

That was the exact reason the rule was brought in. Kolo couldn't have swung left to play on because the Melbourne player was illegally running around the back of him.
The rule is a pile of s**t.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do the AFL change the interpretation on umpire contract in the middle of the season yet they can't change the Ridiculous, Arbitrary, Over officiated, Harsh, Gamechanging bullshit rule that is the 'Protected Area' rule?

It was never an issue for 100 years. Now it's confusing players, destroying momentum and wrecking games.

The AFL is meant to be a sport about skill and athleticism. Not about getting too close to somebody during a period when the game is paused.

Why aren't commentators talking about it more? Where are the articles from Robbo, Carro, Sam Newman?

It's a blight. Has been all year, every game. Change the rule!

Let them be in the protected area. As long as they dont interfere with the player with the ball, (ie block him or tackle him immediately after hes played on), who cares. If the player with the ball wants to play on and run directly at and around that player ...who cant tackle him.....even better. Use him as a shield. Part of the punishment for him being there!!!!

They should be allowed to be in that area but they have to realise that if they are in that area they are taking themselves out of play.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I still honestly cannot understand this rule.

The 50m penalty against Guelfi in the game against St. Kilda last night.... should that have been enforced based on how the rule is written, or did the umpire make a simple mistake and think Guelfi ran through the mark?!?

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let them be in the protected area. As long as they dont interfere with the player with the ball, (ie block him or tackle him immediately after hes played on), who cares. If the player with the ball wants to play on and run directly at and around that player ...who cant tackle him.....even better. Use him as a shield. Part of the punishment for him being there!!!!

They should be allowed to be in that area but they have to realise that if they are in that area they are taking themselves out of play.

Reminds me of the 'offside' rule in rugby.

It's not a penalty to be offside but if that player obstructs, tackles, receives the ball or otherwise gets involved in the play, then and only then is the whistle blown.

Last edited:

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Its a terrible look for the game. Players are now constantly trying to fake out the player on the mark to get a cheap 50.

The one with guelfi looked like the st kilda player intentionally went past the other side of the mark at the last moment and guelfi had no time to react to change direction. I think fairer would be if the st kilda runner is in the protected area the essendon player should be allowed as well

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
They are saying that 'to the letter of the law' the ump was correct. My question is, at what point was Guelfi afoul of the rule? To my eye, his opponent revered and Guelfi made a beeline out of the zone, by the shortest path. Was that it? Or was the infringement before that?

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
had this one in Cats - Eagles,
ump calls Stand
1 stand.jpg

'Jeremy out of the zone' Note ump's position
2 Jeremy out.jpg

Whistle for 50
3 whistle.jpg

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
If a player of the team in possession enters the protected area and/or runs through the mark his opponent should be allowed to follow him through. How hard is it?

Would instantly stop these cheap 50's players draw by faking out their opponent at the last second. If umpires are incapable of using common sense take it out of their hands.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reminds me of the 'offside' rule in rugby.

It's not a penalty to be offside but if that player obstructs, tackles, receives the ball or otherwise gets involved in the play, then and only then is the whistle blown.

That’s an old post of mine but I stanD by it.. can I add this too….. re the stand rule ( if we have to have one and I’ll put that debate to one side….the rule in general has its merits).

The man on the mark shoukd be permitted to run backwards away from the mark. That does not interfere with the kicker and in fact the opposite applies. It gives them the opportunity to steal a few extra metres shoukd they so choose.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surely a simpler rule is that any player in the protected area is not allowed to interfere with the kicker. Basically an off-side rule. You can be there but you can’t block the kicker or tackle him after he’s played on.... unless you are chasing an opponent who chooses to drag you in there.

Even simpler is calling Play On if a team mate runs inside the protected area or runs across the line between the player with the ball and the man on the mark.

If the team with the ball dont need the protected area then they dont get the protected area.

Stops any abuse by the attacking team and means the area is only protected when protection is needed.

Im pretty sure it used to be Play On when a team mate ran across the mark - back in the good old days.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Even simpler is calling Play On if a team mate runs inside the protected area or runs across the line between the player with the ball and the man on the mark.

If the team with the ball dont need the protected area then they dont get the protected area.

Stops any abuse by the attacking team and means the area is only protected when protection is needed.

Im pretty sure it used to be Play On when a team mate ran across the mark - back in the good old days.
Waay too good and simple of a solution and easy for umpires to adjudicate on so it’ll never happen.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Waay too good and simple of a solution and easy for umpires to adjudicate on so it’ll never happen.

If the rules were simplified Gil wouldnt have his rules committee and there wouldnt be grey areas for the AFL / umpires to hide behind.

Same with MRO and Tribunal. They could have simple penalties but they are more worried about the Brownlow and Grand Final than player welfare.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

I don’t think that was ever a rule. A player might be legitimately running to position. If the player following him is allowed to follow him as long as he doesn’t interfere with the kicker, then there’s no incentive to try and draw the 50 in the first place. If the kicker plays on and the “ offside” player is too close, then he just has to stand there and let him run past him.

Back