Protecting George Pell

Remove this Banner Ad

Just announced on 774 radio that Pell has agreed to come back to give evidence to the royal commission.

For mine I have less problems with Pell than I do with the Jewish Orthodox community. What Pell is being accussed of relates to more than 25 years ago when we lived in very different times. The Jewish Orthodox community is still hiding them today and whisking them out of the country, we even have senior people in the community telling them to remain silent today.

I say with people found to of helped hide a paedophile be named on a government website with photo and details of their career, no jail time or conviction it just wastes money, instead destroy their life.

Sworn testimony before a Royal Comission is more than just idle gossip.

It is an allegation that he must answer.

He has also been warned that refusal to answer will likely lead to an adverse finding by the RC.
The Pell has said he will come back to address any questions.
Admirable if he actually does, but I'm still backing a "threat" which makes it impossible on security grounds become appears.
I think Abbott should be called as well in relation to his Nestor character reference.

Last edited:
For mine I have less problems with Pell than I do with the Jewish Orthodox community. What Pell is being accussed of relates to more than 25 years ago when we lived in very different times. The Jewish Orthodox community is still hiding them today and whisking them out of the country, we even have senior people in the community telling them to remain silent today.

I say with people found to of helped hide a paedophile be named on a government website with photo and details of their career, no jail time or conviction it just wastes money, instead destroy their life.

Its just another example of institutions whose prime concern is 'Control'. Having a mystical religious belief system is fine, its a problem if thats just secondary to their prime concern of controlling & dominating a community.

Worse is failing to act on those members who transgress common decency, the law of the land, & of their own so called beliefs & education.

Those religious orders will just lose the thing they want.

The fact that even with all we are finding out, such organisations still want to protect themselves first, & act to belittle & diminish the suffering they themselves have caused by their own actions & inactions.

Can't recall Pell ever giving evidence under oath. I think he has only appeared at Vic. Enquiry and made written statements.
Now he is in witness protection at the Vatican.
If you accept the church as just another organisation selling a product - no different to Kelloggs, Mars, Heinz et al - you'll appreciate they are doing what all consumer product organisations do which is to do all in their power to protect the brand name.

Only difference is they are exempt from paying tax and they never declare their net wealth. Although for some companies paying tax appears optional.

If you accept the church as just another organisation selling a product - no different to Kelloggs, Mars, Heinz et al - you'll appreciate they are doing what all consumer product organisations do which is to do all in their power to protect the brand name.

Only difference is they are exempt from paying tax and they never declare their net wealth. Although for some companies paying tax appears optional.
Huh? Have no idea what you are on about comparing the Catholic Church to a commercial organisationso_O.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh? Have no idea what you are on about comparing the Catholic Church to a commercial organisationso_O.
Fairly straightforward. They are selling a product (religion - in their case Catholicism) to consumers. Very little different to any other organistion selling a product to consumers. All of their efforts at cover-up, dissembling etc are directed at protecting their brand just as other organisations marketing to consumers do.

Fairly straightforward. They are selling a product (religion - in their case Catholicism) to consumers. Very little different to any other organistion selling a product to consumers. All of their efforts at cover-up, dissembling etc are directed at protecting their brand just as other organisations marketing to consumers do.
Organization where we entrust our children compared to a commercial product, you are kidding surely?
Covering up illegal activities, member of their order convicted of crimes yet still remains a member of their order?
Yep can just see it CEO of CCA is convicted of a crime and still mains CEO.

Organization where we entrust our children compared to a commercial product, you are kidding surely?
Covering up illegal activities, member of their order convicted of crimes yet still remains a member of their order?
You are missing the broader point. They are selling a product. Sure it has greater significance on a personal level. But so does, say, a pharmaceutical company that continues to sell a product they know is injurious to peoples health and do all in their power to ameliorate the damage when exposed ie protect the brand.

Think you are having a problem seeing religion as a product. It is!

You are missing the broader point. They are selling a product. Sure it has greater significance on a personal level. But so does, say, a pharmaceutical company that continues to sell a product they know is injurious to peoples health and do all in their power to ameliorate the damage when exposed ie protect the brand.

Think you are having a problem seeing religion as a product. It is!
I am not missing anything - to compare a religious organisation with a commercial organisation is laughable.

I am not missing anything - to compare a religious organisation with a commercial organisation is laughable.
That's probably because you are a believer. In which case I understand that you'll never get that you are being marketed too. Therefore a consumer of a product and being taken for a ride to boot.

less organization, and more organising princpiples. for the last millennium, the driving force and political control have rested with religion.

An ex cop once told me that the public would be shocked if they knew the half of what some of the high profile 'big end of town people' actually got up to behind closed doors. He said they were warned not to say anything about such matters outside. Or Else!!
akin to journalists in the press corp down in Canberra, they will know who has all the peccadilloes. as if junie morosi is unique, she would be the rule, not the exception.

It's not. Especially in this context. They are both about protecting a brand. Pell in particular has shown that he would rather shelter paedophiles than risk damage to the brand he works to protect. I suppose it is easier to justify that sort of behaviour to yourself when you have an absolute and unshakable conviction that you are Right and Good.

It's not. Especially in this context. They are both about protecting a brand. Pell in particular has shown that he would rather shelter paedophiles than risk damage to the brand he works to protect. I suppose it is easier to justify that sort of behaviour to yourself when you have an absolute and unshakable conviction that you are Right and Good.
institution is worth more than a not-fully formed person. its so insidious akin to the worst crimes or totalitarian regimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back