Food/Supplements Protein Powders

Remove this Banner Ad

robstewart23

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am interested in hearing from people about the types of protein powders they consume and for what purpose. Specifically three groups:
1. Those looking to bulk up
2. Those using protein as a meal replacement/filler/snack (esp.woman)
3. Those who are in maintenance phase and use protein as part of their everyday diet

I would love to know the brands you use, how much you consume and when you consume it.

Protein powder is simply a food. You don't need it at all.

It is convenient because:
* It's easy to measure exact amounts
* You don't need to keep in in fridge
* You don't have to spend time cooking it.

If you are consuming enough protein in your everyday diet you do not need a protein powder - it's simply a convenience.

There are a few types of powders:
WPC - type of protein powder for most people
WPI - only get this if you are lactose intolerant or on a very low - essentially no-carb (or keto style) diet.

Blends - marketing crap
Super lean powder with mega fat burning properties - marketing crap

Bulking powder - where they remove half (or more) of protein (which costs ~$25 per kg), and replace it with sugar/dextrose which costs $4 per kg and charge you full price or more for a subpar product.

Brands - it doesn't matter. Protein is protein. WPC or WPI is only thing you need to worry about, just go for the cheapest that you can handle the taste of. Ignore all the extra "additions" they add to the product which are useless but let them market their product as better. Ignore name brands where you pay double the price. And go for a product that sells WPC in the $20-25 per kg range (depending on how much you buy) or WPI for the $25-30 range. Don't pay any more than this or you're being ripped.

If you are consuming enough protein in your everyday diet you do not need a protein powder - it's simply a convenience.

WPI - only get this if you are lactose intolerant or on a very low - essentially no-carb (or keto style) diet.

Blends - marketing crap

Bulking powder - where they remove half (or more) of protein (which costs ~$25 per kg), and replace it with sugar/dextrose which costs $4 per kg and charge you full price or more for a subpar product.

Brands - it doesn't matter. Protein is protein. WPC or WPI is only thing you need to worry about, just go for the cheapest that you can handle the taste of. Ignore all the extra "additions" they add to the product which are useless but let them market their product as better. Ignore name brands where you pay double the price. And go for a product that sells WPC in the $20-25 per kg range (depending on how much you buy) or WPI for the $25-30 range. Don't pay any more than this or you're being ripped.

Good advice, although if you really want to save some money and not get suckered in by marketing rip offs, go with some egg whites if you must have some extra protein.

The average Australian diet isn't deficient in protein so the protein shake thing is a bit of a scam.

You can buy unflavoured whey protein concentrate (80% protein) for as little as $80 for 5kgs, or 50 cents per 30 gram serving. I mix that with a little warm water to dissolve it, then a teaspoon of malt powder, half a teaspoon of honey and about 375ml low fat milk. Tasty, two minutes to make, 40 grams of protein for under a dollar.

Blends - marketing crap

All over it. Cant go wrong with that advice. :thumbsu:

Good advice, although if you really want to save some money and not get suckered in by marketing rip offs, go with some egg whites if you must have some extra protein.

The average Australian diet isn't deficient in protein so the protein shake thing is a bit of a scam.

But egg whites clearly arent as convenient and if you look at it per serve are probably far more expensive (can not be bothered checking though).

egg whites sucks
whey protein = cheap, convenient, best amino acid profile & immunological benefits provided you don't denature the hell out of it

Protein shakes aren't targeted at the "average Australian" though. For people looking to build muscle they're fantastic (if you stick with paying the right price and right product, as people have outlined). Personally I use the banana flavoured WPC from bulk nutrients, $50 for 2kg and out of their flavours it tastes the best mixed with just water (others need milk imo).

I could be wrong, but I reckon these days, the average Aussie diet probably is deficient in protein, with all the sugary carb loaded foods people eat. Cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch then maybe some meat with dinner, but quite often pasta or rice...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add it to your cart and check under "estimate shipping and taxes". Free shipping comes up if I choose that item for my post code, so give it a go. Also use "agj101" for another 10% off.

Will order this one next time as i just ordered in 5kg from bulk nutrients. Certainly will get the 10kg it said $12 for shipping fee but with 10% off that would be a remarkable price for 4 different flavours.

Got sent a sample pack by some fitness place, had a sample sachet of 'BNRG Proto Whey' in it. Double choc, flavour was ******* amazing, like better than Big M's etc. So tasty...

BUT

Sample packet - 900g tub = $70. Per Serve (34.5g) - 20g protein, 4g fat (3g Saturated), 4g carbs (4g sugar)
Bulk Nutrients - 2 Kg + postage = $61. Per Serve (30g) - 23.4g protein, 1.8g fat (1.2g Saturated), 1.6g carbs (1.5g sugar),

i guess there must be heaps of stupid people who don't bother researching s**t, or don't care about money to keep these sorts of companies in business

Got sent a sample pack by some fitness place, had a sample sachet of 'BNRG Proto Whey' in it. Double choc, flavour was ******* amazing, like better than Big M's etc. So tasty...

BUT

Sample packet - 900g tub = $70. Per Serve (34.5g) - 20g protein, 4g fat (3g Saturated), 4g carbs (4g sugar)
Bulk Nutrients - 2 Kg + postage = $61. Per Serve (30g) - 23.4g protein, 1.8g fat (1.2g Saturated), 1.6g carbs (1.5g sugar),

i guess there must be heaps of stupid people who don't bother researching s**t, or don't care about money to keep these sorts of companies in business

It probably tasted so good due to the extra sugar and fat involved plus if your a chocalate person which most are than double choc would have gone down well.

Yes i think its probably an easy way to make money, set up one of these brands put a big bodybuilder on your product and give it an awesome name like craze ect. No doubting that the majority of the general gym community either go down to there health stores and get ripped off or go on bodybuilding.com and also get ripped off but not as much. Not many research how much 1g of protein cost ect like this forum.

Also you didnt factor in that with bulknutrients is that you can but in upto 20kg at one time.

Yeah bulk nutrients FTW!
That is unless you want to pay for pretty containers with all these BS claims that they will do this & that.

cfol was on the money - its all marketing crap & filler.
Get something with a decent protein % and a good price & stick to that - most of the flavored ones now dont taste too bad compared to what they did a few years ago.

But theres certainly no substitute for a decent piece of meat.

Bulk nutrience banana WPC, a banana, milk and oats blended together. So ridiculously good.

Their choc-mint flavour is also delicious.

Ive been taking maxs hp+ for a few weeks now. Local had it for half price for 1kg i grabbed a few.
Its a great protien in the way it breaks down. Many protiens in the past that i have had do not dissolve well into the water\milk.

Correct me if im wrong but if the protien is clumpy it means its a poor quality protien. If its not going to break up in a glass of liquid how is it going to get to damaged/fatigued muscles?

Except meat comes with a fair amount of fat

But certainly cant go wrong with a 200-300g steak every day

What sort of meat are you eating?!
An average 250g chicken breast has only about 8g of fat on average - thats stuff all for someone who is active, especially for the OP who wants to put on muscle.

If you want super-lean you cant beat a nice kangaroo steak - hardly any fat and chockkers full of protein.

Fatty cuts of beef will always come with a fair amount of fat though - thats a given!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back