Opinion Proud of the Past?? Confident of the Future!

Educatednuffy

Debutant
Jun 10, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would love to know - what everyone thinks of the future for Port Adelaide?

Personally I am very bullish; Financially we are growing sound - China is paying off (I believe we will post a profit this year). Management seems to be okay, they are getting us out of crippling debt which is generally a good sign of good management, the AFL is pleased with our efforts to get out of Debt. Jason Cripps (list management) is a God, he picks gems and he gets what we want. I do have concerns about our coaching (hinkley and Voss in particular, Voss in particular); Do I think Ken Hinkley is the right man for the job? I honestly don't know, I have been told from players that he is well loved and liked and that they do listen to him. I honestly do think he is a premiership capable coach, at Port Adelaide however I don't know again.Voss can fuark off.

Our past, and failed 2009 draft of Pittard(who was a good servant) along with Moore (lol) and Butcher (lol) is largely the reason we haven't had much success, imagine if we had 3x prime 28 year olds playing right now, along with pittard and wingard... we would be powerful... but we don't, we are in a vacuum which I believe to be a key source of our inconsistency: Old blokes don't have the same output as they once had, and the younglings are naturally inconsistent. I also doubt we will make finals this year or even next year which I recognise might cripple the club.

However we should be proud of the culture the club has fostered over the recent years, we have country victorians re-signing and victorians wanting to stay, many of them privately say they want to be Port Adelaide players for life. And holy s**t, our 3 youngsters (P.S I hear they all want to re-sign) along all those amazing players under the age of 25, not many clubs could say they have a better under 25 list than us. We have a great young nucleus forming around SPP, Ollie, Rozee, Butters, Dursma, Drew, Atley, Amon (on the basis of this years form but will work on the assumption he will want to go home this year), Howard, Garner, Clurey, DBJ, Farrell etc. etc...

Right now however, it is a changing of the guard; Boak and Robbie are heros and we are so lucky they have stayed life Port players when really we didn't deserve it but they are getting old. We also have many players 28+ who don't really seem like premiership heroes... I think we should be looking to trade out Hartlett, Motlop and Rocky - Are we honestly a better team with them in? lets get some picks, let us cut, burn and rebuild. I think the club is doing that and it acknowledges that in last years draft.

My view is that I am not proud of the past 10 years... But I am confident of the future, we all should be. Again I would love to know what other Port Adelaide supporters think! I recognise how toxic it is to stay "stick fat" for another few years but the reality I believe in is that is what we need to do, I feel a little hawthorn 04-06 about us.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I will wait and see what the balance sheet is for China 2019. If we make a profit out of the deal, like the President says we will, then there is reason for optimism over our financial future and I will give credit where it is due. We have clearly come a long way since 2011 when we were faced with extinction as an AFL club. Our finances have improved thanks to the move to AO with the potential for our stocks to rise even further if and when the China deal maximises it's potential.

Our football programme is a different matter as we are clearly in the doldrums. We have some promising players but do we have a system which will allow them to reach their full potential? On past experience I think not. In 2004-06 Hawthorn had Alistair Clarkson and Jeff Kennett at the helm we have Ken Hinkley and David Koch. There is a difference.

I am reasonably confident we will survive financially but I have to ask what is the point of survival if we exist to be a bottom eight club and do not exist to win Premierships? It is clear that we need a change in direction on the football front and the evidence suggests that we will not get that under the current regime. The Board erred badly in reappointing the current Coach and we should all hope that Ken Hinkley is on notice although many of us will suspect that he isn't. I have to ask how confident any of us can be with an Administration that makes such a monumental blunder? If they got Hinkley's reappointment so wrong what else will they get wrong? I just hope Ken Hinkley goes before he transforms us from a team that 'expects to win' to a bunch of losers.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We've been flatlining onfield for 5 years. Home crowds are stagnating or dropping. Our big guns (Gray, Dixon, ryder, Boak) are all near the end. We have a head coach who has achieved sweet FA, but we can't get ridb of him because we pointlessly extended his contract. What a time to be alive

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I am enjoying this year and to me the list is in good shape with the talent and competition for positions. The contrast with the last few years at footy park is big. It takes time to build a list and parker, cripps, davies have year by year done that. The other stuff is important, but the footy side is exciting.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Welcome aboard, Educatednuffy.

Such optimism is rare on this board. You are correct about management. People here seem to forget how close we were to closing the doors before Koch and Thomas. We now have the luxury of 60,000 members being able to criticise their every misjudgment.

List management has been bold and the list is in good shape.

But the pessimists are not all wrong. It’s fair to raise questions about the head coach. 7 years is a long time without any real success.

The real problem though, seems to be a lack of sustained hunger in the squad. I rarely hear them mention premierships, as if they don’t want to raise expectations.Too often they rise to the challenge of say West Coast only to follow it with a few lacklustre efforts. Motivating cashed up millennials to play with the spirit our tradition demands is THE challenge of the current era.

It’s tricky. Demand success in a league as tough as this and you risk self combustion. You swap coaches every 3 years- you never rebuild. Don’t demand it, and you lose our culture.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good management and foresight by the then government was the reason we had a mining boom or did the mining boom occur and those in government had money to spend?

Chicken and eggs.

Good management and foresight by the then government was the reason we had a mining boom or did the mining boom occur and those in government had money to spend?

Chicken and eggs.
Pretty sure that one’s just eggs.

Good foresight wouldve been a sovereign wealth fund like Norway has set up, instead of giving Clive Palmer some more mad money to * with elections

kikass

Debutant
Oct 5, 2014
On the couch
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think that if Port don’t exceed in the second half of this year the future is looking bleak with dwindling crowd and membership numbers. We always seem to be a club that is always dealing with side issues, drunk players, snorting powder off breasts, premiership tally’s, China, prison bars, club milestones...the list just goes on. Meanwhile those that represent the club in the field have failed to deliver. While our list has good prospects they just never seem to improve except the occasional unexpected win or good performance. At this point it feels like we'll be like those swamp dwellers and just never get to hold that cup again. All this while the AFL is causing disillusionment with the game through PC, never ending rules changes, inconsistent umpiring and the SANFL going on their merry way screwing us over on prices, restrictions etc etc

I hope it doesn’t happen and here’s hoping to the balance of the year.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Welcome club employee number 17!

Until I see China figures in Black & White that get past the REH and Lockhart Road anti-bullshit filters, showing a real profit I don’t believe anything out of the club regards China money.

Our list managers have done ok, but only ok, they’ve gone safe with early picks, other than Marshall, going smalls, which are more likely to be ok. KPP’s though are what you build a side around (unless you are the exception s**t coach whose name rhymes with Ben Stinkley).

The most egregious myth peddled is Koch and Ken saved us. Bullshit. Three things saved us.

1. OneClub stopped us infighting and gave us back our identity to clearly rally around.

2. Our CEO prior to KT calling the SANFL out for gouging us. Costing himself the position in the process. Until then it was pure ‘grow the pie!’. This started getting us out from under the SANFL thumb. It was done (to the degree it has been so far, there’s a long way to go) in KT and Koch’s time, but they signed off on processes they didn’t begin.

3. Adelaide oval. Even dumpster fire bad we are going to pull 10k more (attendance and 10-15k memberships due to 3 game memberships) due purely to AO then if we were at concrete park still. This was all in the works before ‘the saviours’ came on board.

tl;dr - those that spout bullet points from the club should either shut up or if not paid then do some research before rimming the 3K’s like they have visited the fans in a stable in the Holy land and blessed us with gifts.

Last edited:

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty sure that one’s just eggs.

It is just eggs.
We too had money to spend in 2012 yet the people getting that keep getting credit for it from a number of posters are the ones that happened to be there at the time the money came in. I have trouble understanding that logic.

Me when more club shills appear and try to manipulate us

FB_IMG_1560137830240.jpg

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lol the AFL is pleased they have control. They couldnt care less if we had debt or didnt have debt.

If you actually think the AFL takes our club seriously, remember they are trying to rewrite history snd recognise non VFL flags for Vic teams, but not our SANFL flags etc.
You mean non AFL flags?

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You mean non AFL flags?

They recognize the Vuc pre AFL flags from the VFL. Now they want to expand that and add extra flags from pre VFL periods.
But not our SANFL flags.
Cant have a non-Vic club leading the "official" flag count ladder that the AFL recognizes.

Educatednuffy

Debutant
Jun 10, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would be interesting to hear the alternative on who you believe should be coach - Bassett is no.1 in my mind as a replacement. Wonder how many of you will say clarko lol

klem22

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2008
mt gambier
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I will wait and see what the balance sheet is for China 2019. If we make a profit out of the deal, like the President says we will, then there is reason for optimism over our financial future and I will give credit where it is due. We have clearly come a long way since 2011 when we were faced with extinction as an AFL club. Our finances have improved thanks to the move to AO with the potential for our stocks to rise even further if and when the China deal maximises it's potential.

Our football programme is a different matter as we are clearly in the doldrums. We have some promising players but do we have a system which will allow them to reach their full potential? On past experience I think not. In 2004-06 Hawthorn had Alistair Clarkson and Jeff Kennett at the helm we have Ken Hinkley and David Koch. There is a difference.

I am reasonably confident we will survive financially but I have to ask what is the point of survival if we exist to be a bottom eight club and do not exist to win Premierships? It is clear that we need a change in direction on the football front and the evidence suggests that we will not get that under the current regime. The Board erred badly in reappointing the current Coach and we should all hope that Ken Hinkley is on notice although many of us will suspect that he isn't. I have to ask how confident any of us can be with an Administration that makes such a monumental blunder? If they got Hinkley's reappointment so wrong what else will they get wrong? I just hope Ken Hinkley goes before he transforms us from a team that 'expects to win' to a bunch of losers.

Are you forgetting the elephant in the room????

Would be interesting to hear the alternative on who you believe should be coach - Bassett is no.1 in my mind as a replacement. Wonder how many of you will say clarko lol

Cool story Shilly Temple

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Our list managers have done ok, but only ok, they’ve gone safe with early picks other than Marshall going smalls, which are more likely to be ok. KPP’s though are what you build a side around (unless you are the exception **** coach whose name rhymes with Ben Stinkley).

This is an interesting point actually.

Marshall - pick #16
Clurey - pick #29
Hayes - pick #47
Dougal - pick #56
Grundy - pick #73
Frampton - pick #84

Then you've got Jonas, Houston, Ladhams and Lienert that were all rookie elevations and Ryder, Dixon and Lycett either from trades or free agency.

Why is this club afraid of taking talls early in the draft?

Back