PS3 Info

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, roughly how much did they cost?
Portable/External HD's are approx. $80-$150 depending on the size, you can get about 120GB for around $100 nowadays, which is quite good.

I don't know about internal as I am looking for them too, but would only guess they cost about the same.

Portable/External HD's are approx. $80-$150 depending on the size, you can get about 120GB for around $100 nowadays, which is quite good.

I don't know about internal as I am looking for them too, but would only guess they cost about the same.
Okay, just another quick question.

If you get an internet HD, that replaces your old HD right? So it's better for me to get an external so I can use two HDs?

Okay, just another quick question.

If you get an internet HD, that replaces your old HD right? So it's better for me to get an external so I can use two HDs?
Yeah, but the only thing is I don't think that the external one takes place of the one in the system, basically it means you won't be able to save games onto it, you also might have to modify the external HD as it is sometimes in another Type instead of SATA, an Internal HD will boost the systems HD space, where as the external HD will only be able to be used as a storage device for media.

Good link, this will be of interest to anyone else upgrading their HD:

PlayStation 3 ships with either a 40 or 80 GB drive. That's plenty of storage for games and could suffice for basic computing. But upgrading the hard drive on the PS3 is remarkably easy, so we saw it as a good excuse to bump up the storage capacity to a more PC-friendly level. The PS3 uses 2.5-in. laptop drives, and high_capacity replacements can be purchased from online retailers such as Newegg or Directron for $60 to $150. We went for Toshiba's capacious 250 GB—ample space for large movie, music and photo collections.

The drive is located behind a small removable panel on the side of the PS3 and can be replaced without too much muss and fuss. It is secured in a removable cage, which is held in place by one screw. The upgrade is similar to a drive replacement in a PC—old drive pops out, new drive pops in. When the console is turned on, the PS3 formats the new drive.

Just one little bit of info, once you take out your current HD and format another, the previous HD has to be reformatted if you were to put it back in, so get all info you can off it before putting in the other, as you won't be able to get anything off it unless it is reformatted again.

can you use usb harddrives?

cos it would be so much cheaper and convenient to get a 500gb or 1tb bememoth and stuff it in an enclosure...

this is more in regards to movie playing than game usage >,>

You can play movies straight off a USB hard drive. But you can't save your games to it or anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back