Society/Culture Psuedoscientific nonsense

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it Gwyneth Paltrow that claims to start every day with 'alkaline water, with lemon in it'?

If anyone who actually passed year 9 science can read that back to her and explain why it's hilarious, that would be great. Thanks.

A transgender man, who has given birth to a child and does not want to be described as "mother" on a birth certificate, has lost a legal battle.

Freddy McConnell wanted to be registered as "father" or "parent".

But a High Court judge ruled the status of "mother" was afforded to a person who carries and gives birth to a baby.

He said while Mr McConnell's gender was recognised by law as male, his parental status of "mother" derives from the biological role of giving birth.

What is this I don't even?

Shout out to chiropractors everywhere.

I know a lot of vets, and pseudo science has hit their industry in a big way, including animal "chiropractors" who have no qualification of any kind. These campaigners often instruct their clients not to vaccinate their pets or take them to a vet if they get cancer.

Dog breeders are often into woo as well. One vet told me " people taking animal health advice from a breeder over that of a vet is like taking human health advice from a pimp instead of a doctor". Love it.

I know a lot of vets, and pseudo science has hit their industry in a big way, including animal "chiropractors" who have no qualification of any kind. These campaigners often instruct their clients not to vaccinate their pets or take them to a vet if they get cancer.

Dog breeders are often into woo as well. One vet told me " people taking animal health advice from a breeder over that of a vet is like taking human health advice from a pimp instead of a doctor". Love it.

Don't know about small animals, but I have personally seen a horse chiropractor fix a lame horse in a matter of minutes using a tennis ball to manipulate.

Yes, I was sceptical, but I saw what I saw.

Don't know about small animals, but I have personally seen a horse chiropractor fix a lame horse in a matter of minutes using a tennis ball to manipulate.

Yes, I was sceptical, but I saw what I saw.
Really? Interesting. I'll ask my vet relos on their thoughts regarding chiro for large animals. Do you know if said chiro had a qualification of some kind?

Dog chiros tend to make absurd claims, like being able to fix serious hip dysplasia with a massage, or "a vegan diet is good for cats" (who are obligate carnivores and will literally die on a vegan diet).

Really? Interesting. I'll ask my vet relos on their thoughts regarding chiro for large animals. Do you know if said chiro had a qualification of some kind?

Dog chiros tend to make absurd claims, like being able to fix serious hip dysplasia with a massage, or "a vegan diet is good for cats" (who are obligate carnivores and will literally die on a vegan diet).

I would doubt very much if he had any qualifications whatsoever.

However he certainly knew horses.

Just asked me to walk the horse around the yard as he watched. He then stretched out all four legs, did his thing with the tennis ball, the horse groaned and walked off with no lameness whatsoever.

He said don't ride it for a week and rub linament into the affected area, which I did, and the horse was perfect.

No mumbo jumbo whatsoever, just an old bushman who'd picked up a trick or two. Lovely, unassuming old bloke. Gone now. Vale.

I would doubt very much if he had any qualifications whatsoever.

However he certainly knew horses.

Just asked me to walk the horse around the yard as he watched. He then stretched out all four legs, did his thing with the tennis ball, the horse groaned and walked off with no lameness whatsoever.

He said don't ride it for a week and rub linament into the affected area, which I did, and the horse was perfect.

No mumbo jumbo whatsoever, just an old bushman who'd picked up a trick or two. Lovely, unassuming old bloke. Gone now. Vale.
If an "adjustment" fixes anyone/anything, it's not by virtue of a rock solid epistemological foundation in their field - it's just something they've managed to not completely * up to the point of it being woo-magic adjacent. Like many health fields, there are some nutters who go to extremes and ruin it for everyone else (detox diets, remedies for cancer etc), but chiro is fundamentally rubbish enough for it to be a case of saving your money 9/10 if you don't go.

If an "adjustment" fixes anyone/anything, it's not by virtue of a rock solid epistemological foundation in their field - it's just something they've managed to not completely fu** up to the point of it being woo-magic adjacent. Like many health fields, there are some nutters who go to extremes and ruin it for everyone else (detox diets, remedies for cancer etc), but chiro is fundamentally rubbish enough for it to be a case of saving your money 9/10 if you don't go.

I hear what you're saying, however this guy was employed by just about every top Qld race horse trainer, polo, polocrosse, campdraft owners along with us cockies.

They're still quite prevalent, but there are plenty who I have been told are just quacks.

Everyone is entitled to some sort of grown up sense of themselves and wanting to pass this on to other
grown ups..

But with kids getting apparently older in their awareness of things, then everyone will soon kick up a stink about things..
As long as we don't just throw things at each other but perhaps having a nice conversation about things will be better than
just throwing lawsuits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pseudoscience queen Gwenneth Paltrow, who is still finding ways to sell vagina-related products, now sells this:

1578961717323.png

Please, nobody tell Gina Rinehart there's a market for this...

Pseudoscience queen Gwenneth Paltrow, who is still finding ways to sell vagina-related products, now sells this:

View attachment 805629

Please, nobody tell Gina Rinehart there's a market for this...

Not to be crass here but you could achieve the same effect by getting a can of Sirena and sticking a tea light in it.

BTW I did have an idea that maybe the target audience for such a product should be serial masturbators who really want to get a holistic, immersive, self-abuse experience.

Not to be crass here but you could achieve the same effect by getting a can of Sirena and sticking a tea light in it.

BTW I did have an idea that maybe the target audience for such a product should be serial masturbators who really want to get a holistic, immersive, self-abuse experience.
It could just be marketing genius, the product did sell out.

We're talking about someone who steams her vagina and drinks 'alkaline water with lemon in it'. Its' why parody is so hard these days, real life is just so ridiculous. Camus would be horrified if he lived in the modern era.

I know a lot of vets, and pseudo science has hit their industry in a big way, including animal "chiropractors" who have no qualification of any kind.

When I grew up I had never heard of a dog with a food allergy (and most people I knew had dogs when I grew up). Now its extremely common (going by my experience)

So is it

a) dog food has changed
b) vets just blatantly lying to do tests etc and charge fees?

And why does an ultrasound for a dog cost more than for a person?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back