Society/Culture Psuedoscientific nonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
When he gives evidence in American courts on the pseudo scientific nonsense that are psych drugs. The courts listen

Really?

“Dr. Breggin’s observations are totally without credibility. I can almost declare him, I guess from statements that floor me, to say the he’s a fraud or at least approaching that. He has made some outrageous statements and written outrageous books and which he says he has now withdrawn and his thinking is different. He’s untrained. He’s a member of no hospital staff. He has not since medical school participated in any studies to support his conclusions except maybe one. . . . I can’t place any credence or credibility in what he has to recommend in this case.” — Judge James W. Rice in Schellinger v. Schellinger, No. 93-FA-939-763 (Milwaukee County Circuit Court, 1997)

https://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/breggin.html

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
thing is, his expertise (or otherwise) isn't actually relevant. little graham cares "little" for the credibility of dr breggin. what he cares about is a supposed expert he can attach his ideology to. if dr breggin disagreed with little graham's ideology, the fact the dr is a harvard graduate means absolutely nothing. i pointed this out in this post: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-are-gmos-at.1144338/page-2#post-47784857

he's a classic example of confirmation bias in action.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really?

“Dr. Breggin’s observations are totally without credibility. I can almost declare him, I guess from statements that floor me, to say the he’s a fraud or at least approaching that. He has made some outrageous statements and written outrageous books and which he says he has now withdrawn and his thinking is different. He’s untrained. He’s a member of no hospital staff. He has not since medical school participated in any studies to support his conclusions except maybe one. . . . I can’t place any credence or credibility in what he has to recommend in this case.” — Judge James W. Rice in Schellinger v. Schellinger, No. 93-FA-939-763 (Milwaukee County Circuit Court, 1997)

Butttttt... He got it from a meme - it has to be true?!

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

On this, i read somewhere that most pharmacies in Australia will have staff who are not pharmacists and staff who are.

The non pharmacist is there to try and make the business money selling some of this crap, and as they are nothing more than a shopkeeper, are more or less allowed to do it.

The pharmacist however has a legal professional obligation. If in doubt about a product, ask the actual pharmacist, "Does this product have proven efficacy?" Legally, they have to tell you the truth.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
But it's gluten free! Who would have thought water could be gluten free‽

At a butchers in central.market they had advertised gluten free ham.

I asked them how they took the gluten out if you're actually selling ham.

Did he go off like a stuck pig

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really?

The FAA hired breggin when a pilot challenged the ban of anti depressants

The court found in favour of the FAA

There is no more serious institution concerning saftey and law than the FAA. Thier record speaks for itself. They deal with real science.

Only a fool would question breggin. Are you questioning breggin? Or do you have vested interest in defending pseudo scientific nonsense?

"A few years ago I was hired by the FAA to defend the agency against a suit brought by a pilot who wanted to fly while taking a prescription antidepressant. I helped the FAA formulate its defense of the agency’s ban on pilots using antidepressants and, as a result, the ban remained in effect"

https://breggin.com/pilots-taking-antidepressants-the-faa-is-risking-our-lives/

They lifted the ban because pilots were using them and not saying anything

They found this more dangerous than letting them fly but making sure they were aware of real science

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn

i normally give homeopathy a free pass generally because im a big fan of people being punished (in this case with $$) for subscribing to nonsense. and normally, the products are harmless (duh). but this one is a real worry, im glad they're getting sued.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The FAA hired breggin when a pilot challenged the ban of anti depressants

The court found in favour of the FAA

There is no more serious institution concerning saftey and law than the FAA. Thier record speaks for itself. They deal with real science.

Only a fool would question breggin. Are you questioning breggin? Or do you have vested interest in defending pseudo scientific nonsense?

"A few years ago I was hired by the FAA to defend the agency against a suit brought by a pilot who wanted to fly while taking a prescription antidepressant. I helped the FAA formulate its defense of the agency’s ban on pilots using antidepressants and, as a result, the ban remained in effect"

https://breggin.com/pilots-taking-antidepressants-the-faa-is-risking-our-lives/

They lifted the ban because pilots were using them and not saying anything

They found this more dangerous than letting them fly but making sure they were aware of real science

Stop it.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone who questions breggin has serious problems

He is called in front of Senate committes as he's regarded as the foremost expert on the psuedo science surrounding the industry of psychiatry. As said he is hired to design policy of these drugs by the federal aviation association and such.

He has appeared in hundreds and hundreds of trials and law suits surrounding the drugs used by the industry

He is not someone you question. His record speaks for itself. One only has to research him. Much of his evidence to senate commitees are readily available online and on American federal government websites

Anyone who questions him or censors quotes of articles of him has serious issues

To constructively criticize him would be the fees he charges. It's the very industry that makes money out of this psuedo science that ends up paying his wages. He gets quite a tidy some from the hundreds and hundreds of law suits his evidence has found in favor of people damaged by this psuedo science

There is also an Australian shrink and she makes her wage in a similar manner

The drug companies pay outs are a drop in the ocean compared to thier profit.

One company was fined billions for thier psuedo science and played the bill by raising the price of the drug in question in another country

Breggin is making his money from this

Breggin doesn't help the average Joe unless it's a clear cut case with his evidence. Nor is he training up others to add to his work

But again. Anyone who criticizes his knowledge or censors it. Has serious issues considering how readily available his musings are

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Anyone who questions breggin has serious problems

He is called in front of Senate committes as he's regarded as the foremost expert on the psuedo science surrounding the industry of psychiatry. As said he is hired to design policy of these drugs by the federal aviation association and such.

He has appeared in hundreds and hundreds of trials and law suits surrounding the drugs used by the industry

He is not someone you question. His record speaks for itself. One only has to research him. Much of his evidence to senate commitees are readily available online and on American federal government websites

Anyone who questions him or censors quotes of articles of him has serious issues

To constructively criticize him would be the fees he charges. It's the very industry that makes money out of this psuedo science that ends up paying his wages. He gets quite a tidy some from the hundreds and hundreds of law suits his evidence has found in favor of people damaged by this psuedo science

There is also an Australian shrink and she makes her wage in a similar manner

The drug companies pay outs are a drop in the ocean compared to thier profit.

One company was fined billions for thier psuedo science and played the bill by raising the price of the drug in question in another country

Breggin is making his money from this

Breggin doesn't help the average Joe unless it's a clear cut case with his evidence. Nor is he training up others to add to his work

But again. Anyone who criticizes his knowledge or censors it. Has serious issues considering how readily available his musings are
Start or bump a thread about pharmaceutical companies behaving unethically. This stuff isn't within the realm of this thread (psuedoscience) unless you're suggesting that ALL medicines are in fact bunkum. In which case you are raving mad and we should all feel sorry for you.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Those articles are 20 years old. Ancient nonsense funded by pharmacutical companies.

The very definition of psuedo scintific nonsense.

The irony

Back then breggin was calling on black box labels for suicide and violent outbursts for drugs like Zoloft Prozac paxil ect

He has been successful. In America it's law these drugs come with these black box warnings.

I'm sure if you can find rubbish 20 years old and proven false. You should know this.

Those articles rely on the psudo scintific nonsense that mental health is a chemical inbalance

There is no test for this rubbish. Never has been. No science apart from marketing to sell more drugs

Many here on this forum have been told they have that inbalance and have been medicated based on it. Nobody has had a test on the chemicals alleged to be inbalanced. Before or after medication.

The test does not exist in our health system for mental ilness.

It requires a lumbar puncture

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Those articles are 20 years old. Ancient nonsense funded by pharmacutical companies.

The very definition of psuedo scintific nonsense.

The irony

Back then breggin was calling on black box labels for suicide and violent outbursts for drugs like Zoloft Prozac paxil ect

He has been successful. In America it's law these drugs come with these black box warnings.

I'm sure if you can find rubbish 20 years old and proven false. You should know this.

Those articles rely on the psudo scintific nonsense that mental health is a chemical inbalance

There is no test for this rubbish. Never has been. No science apart from marketing to sell more drugs

Many here on this forum have been told they have that inbalance and have been medicated based on it. Nobody has had a test on the chemicals alleged to be inbalanced. Before or after medication.

The test does not exist in our health system for mental ilness.

It requires a lumbar puncture

Just because it is 20 years old, doesn't make it wrong. There's no proof that these researchers are funded by pharma companies - even if they are, they still go through an ethical process to ensure the research is conducted with integrity. That is the beauty of research being conducted at Universities.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...ork-antidepressants-are-effective-study-shows

The study was published in the Lancet.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32802-7/fulltext

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just because it is 20 years old, doesn't make it wrong. There's no proof that these researchers are funded by pharma companies - even if they are, they still go through an ethical process to ensure the research is conducted with integrity. That is the beauty of research being conducted at Universities.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...ork-antidepressants-are-effective-study-shows

The study was published in the Lancet.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32802-7/fulltext
You like posting quakery funded by marketing deptarments of pharmacutical companies to avoid answering a simple question.

You've failed to show me what the test for the chemical imbalance those witch doctor articles claim cause mental ilness.

There is people following this thread who have been told they have a chemical Inbalance. They have been given medications that shorten thier life span by around 20 years. Not one of them can.tell us what the test for the Inbalance is because it doesn't exist. There is over 100 brain chemicals. Unless through rigorous scintific testing you can pin point the Inbalance these quaks claim i will stand corrected.That damage caused by this quakery is well documented. Including suicide and violent out bursts

Breggin has been successful proving this point again and again in courts. All you can do is produce rubbish from an English tabloid

If you went into a doctor and said you have trouble breathing and he diagnosed you with lung cancer and sent you for chemo without confirming through science you had cancer. The doctor would be a criminal

People on this forum have presented at a doctor complaining of symptoms of depression and sent home with scripts for a chemicall imbalance despite no tests. These drugs come with black box warnings for suicide. Readers of this thread have attempted suicide after being tret this way

Your posting history is consistent with the psudo scintific rubbish you're posting here and avoiding direct questions around that.

It's quite simple. You should be able to produce what those tests are. Instead you're just keep producing rubbish.

Facebook s**t posting in all it's glory

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
You like posting quakery funded by marketing deptarments of pharmacutical companies to avoid answering a simple question.

You've failed to show me what the test for the chemical imbalance those witch doctor articles claim cause mental ilness.

There is people following this thread who have been told they have a chemical Inbalance. They have been given medications that shorten thier life span by around 20 years. Not one of them can.tell us what the test for the Inbalance is because it doesn't exist. There is over 100 brain chemicals. Unless through rigorous scintific testing you can pin point the Inbalance these drugs do That damage that is well documented. Including suicide and violent out bursts

Breggin has been successful proving this point again and again on courts. All you can do is produce rubbish from an English tabloid

If you went into a doctor and said you have trouble breathing and he diagnosed you with lung cancer and sent you for chemo without confirming through science you had cancer. The doctor would be a criminal

People on this forum have presented at a doctor complaining of symptoms of depression and sent home with scripts for a chemicall imbalance despite no tests. These drugs come with black box warnings for suicide. Readers of this thread have attempted suicide after being tret this way

Your posting history is consistent with the psudo scintific rubbish you're posting here and avoiding direct questions around that.

It's quite simple. You should be able to produce what those tests are. Instead you're just keep producing rubbish.

Facebook s**t posting in all it's glory

I'm done with someone that can't formulate an argument, refuses to accept evidence (or at least debate the evidence) for a contrary argument and to boot, dismisses work in the Lancet as pseudo scientific. I showed you the evidence that psycho-active medications have scientifically been proven to treat mental illness better than placebo. In order for those drugs to work, the mechanism needs to be known. Ergo, they work because of the understanding of the chemical nature of the brain.

That doesn't mean there are issues with their prescription, etc. There may well be cases where these drugs have been prescribed when they shouldn't have. But that doesn't mean those drugs don't work when prescribed properly.

I genuinely hope you find the peace you're after.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm done with someone that can't formulate an argument, refuses to accept evidence (or at least debate the evidence) for a contrary argument and to boot, dismisses work in the Lancet as pseudo scientific.

for sure, the guy's a first-class moron. in previous arguments he's posted statistical evidence that destroyed his own point of view. rank amateur.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm done with someone that can't formulate an argument, refuses to accept evidence (or at least debate the evidence) for a contrary argument and to boot, dismisses work in the Lancet as pseudo scientific. I showed you the evidence that psycho-active medications have scientifically been proven to treat mental illness better than placebo. In order for those drugs to work, the mechanism needs to be known. Ergo, they work because of the understanding of the chemical nature of the brain.

That doesn't mean there are issues with their prescription, etc. There may well be cases where these drugs have been prescribed when they shouldn't have. But that doesn't mean those drugs don't work when prescribed properly.

I genuinely hope you find the peace you're after.
You can't answer a simple question that would prove you're right

Again what is the test for the chemical imbalnce that pseudo science says causes mental illness.

It's quite simple . If it's not psuedo science there is a test

So what is it? What chemical is unbalanced and what is the normal range.

How do the drugs work? How to balance what ever chemical is unbalanced?

It's quite immature to say you're done arguing when you have no argument. When you rely on myth. When you can't answer this simple question. When your mythological beliefs are confronted with science

For those without thier head Stuck in the sand.

This science shows that for nearly sixty years the argument against the psuedo science science about mental health has been consistent. Because it's true.

http://www.wayneramsay.com/lives-on.htm

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Again what is the test for the chemical imbalnce that pseudo science says causes mental illness.

It's quite simple . If it's not psuedo science there is a test

So what is it? What chemical is unbalanced and what is the normal range.

How do the drugs work? How to balance what ever chemical is unbalanced?

this has already been explained to you:

for what it's worth, there isn't really a "theory" of chemical imbalance; that's simply the way complexities of brain chemistry are explained to dumb people. the reason being that by changing the way serotonin or dopamine work in the brain a person's mood can be changed (improved). if you deny that these chemicals have a role to play in mood then you haven't taken enough ecstasy.

obviously, this doesn't mean that depression is caused only or solely by a "chemical imbalance"- the amount of serotonin being re-absorbed in any given person might be completely natural and normal for them. however, if decreasing the rate it's being re-absorbed improves a person's mood, then that person's brain chemistry is being altered in a way that benefits them. hence the post-hoc "chemical balance" explanation (and as you note, likely marketing angle). serotonin's reuptake may not be causing the depression, but slowing that uptake may improve mood.

reducing the reabsorption of serotonin can have a positive effect on mood in some people in some situations. the precise method of action is still unknown. you didn't respond because despite all your sooking about these drugs you've never bothered to learn anything about serotonin or brain chemistry. you have nothing more than stupid questions about tests, your cliched 'big pharma are evil' schtick or appeals to authority.

what's the test for alzheimer's?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
upload_2018-9-18_22-29-12.png

Back