Education & Reference Public and Private schooling

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Based on what I've read occasionally in The Age comment pages (sorry Liberal voters), and heard anecdotally, and my previous experience working in a retail job with an APS graduate in her 40s who didn't seem to be kicking goals in life at all, the whole "Send your kid to a top private school for the l33t networking" thing really doesn't work unless your own economic and social standing can back it up. Truly rich people are largely campaigners that look down on the less wealthy and their children learn to do the same thing.

Last edited:

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN

Cancelled
Feb 8, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sure there are quality public schools, such as Rossmoyne over here, but they're very much outliers. Families still ultimately have to pay for their kids to attend there anyway by paying through the nose for massive houses just to fall within the catchment zone.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN

Cancelled
Feb 8, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on what I've the read occasionally in The Age comment pages (sorry Liberal voters), and heard anecdotally, and my previous experience working in a retail job with an APS graduate in her 40s who didn't seem to be kicking goals at life at all, the whole "Send your kid to a top private school for the l33t networking" thing doesn't really work unless your own economic and social standing can back it up. Truly rich people are largely campaigners that look down on the less wealthy and their children learn to do the same thing.
Not really. As you see with FIFO workers, you can be cashed up as much as you want, but if you've got bad genetics, trash mates and s**t social skills, you're always going to be a crackhead.

I'd say it's more about being and associating with winners and how that rubs off on you, rather than being mates with a rich kid. You're going to get bogan kids in public schools with loaded parents, but they're always goong to be white trash.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Princes Hill is a tiny suburb, if you can afford a family home there then you can afford to send your kids to a private school. Alternatively there is a housing block there you could develop a smack habit or the like and get your kid in that way.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Princes Hill is a tiny suburb, if you can afford a family home there then you can afford to send your kids to a private school. Alternatively there is a housing block there you could develop a smack habit or the like and get your kid in that way.

Oh * yeah that's a rich people suburb. Terraced housing that looks normal on the outside but when you get through the front door you realise it goes back 30-40m metres on both storeys with a built-in garden somewhere.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Based on what I've read occasionally in The Age comment pages (sorry Liberal voters), and heard anecdotally, and my previous experience working in a retail job with an APS graduate in her 40s who didn't seem to be kicking goals in life at all, the whole "Send your kid to a top private school for the l33t networking" thing really doesn't work unless your own economic and social standing can back it up. Truly rich people are largely campaigners that look down on the less wealthy and their children learn to do the same thing.
While on the whole I would anecdotally agree I can say in the case of my cousin , hard work rang the doorbell connections opened the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
ITT: SA argues for going to a 'good public school' then fails to realise the irony that all the schools he suggests are in ridiculously affluent areas. Shock horror, you can find a good public school in a good area. That's not how it works for most people living on a modest household income.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
ITT: SA argues for going to a 'good public school' then fails to realise the irony that all the schools he suggests are in ridiculously affluent areas. Shock horror, you can find a good public school in a good area. That's not how it works for most people living on a modest household income.

There are good public schools scattered around; my point is the people who are offering their 'expertise' on the subject have NFI.

For example, Ringwood Secondary and Mullauna (Mitcham) both outperformed Camberwell High and Princes Hill Secondary in VCE rankings last year. Box Hill Senior Secondary absolutely smashed the three schools that Silent Alarm has decided are terrific, based (I presume) solely on knowing one or two people in their early-mid 20s who went there years ago. But in this thread (and on this board) the good people of Big Footy decide that suburbs like Ringwood, Mitcham and Box Hill are hellholes, where people who decide to bring up their families there are basically giving their children no hope.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Very much so. Although I hate the concept to a degree networking is really building a relationship through mutual self interest and benefit. Unless you have a specific skill or resource all the networking in the world won't help you. Also don't really see how a fellow school leaver/mate can really benefit you. Especially if you choose wildly differing careers.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol. I'm one. It's not a cult.

Is there much difference between a standard Christian Religion and 7DAs except church on Saturdays?

Isn't that one of the things that did in Lindy Chamberlain. She was a 7DA and nobody knew wtf it was combined with her weird sort of behaviour everyone assumed it was a cult and thus must have been guilty.

Also just like you can get say Private Catholic Schools are there Private Adventist Schools? Are they really any different?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Is there much difference between a standard Christian Religion and 7DAs except church on Saturdays?

Isn't that one of the things that did in Lindy Chamberlain. She was a 7DA and nobody knew wtf it was combined with her weird sort of behaviour everyone assumed it was a cult and thus must have been guilty.

Also just like you can get say Private Catholic Schools are there Private Adventist Schools? Are they really any different?

Warburton in Victoria, there's a lot of Seventh Day Adventist stuff going on there, not sure if one of them is a school or not though.

Nope, just googled it, closed in 2007.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Various Catholic systemic schools (so I guess semi-private) up until Year 10, and private for senior high school.

In a lot of ways I really liked the private school. The resources, class sizes and available extracurriculars were amazing and the teaching was top notch - genuinely brilliant people, many with doctorates. Aside from being exposed to a limited cross-section of society, the main disadvantage was being spoon-fed the material. Everything is about maximising exam performance, because that's what the school is selling. More than a few people I know got a bit of a rude shock when they got to university.

In terms of marginal benefit, is it worth the school fees? Not sure. I think it depends on the individual child's needs. On balance I am probably glad I didn't go to private school from day dot. I would be a very different person without the social exposure I got and self-reliance skills I learned before 16.

I haven't experienced this to be the case at all. There is obviously a snob element, but in general the rich are just like anyone else and judge people based on their capabilities and personalities. IMO the main problem with wealth is social insulation - if you spend your life in a bubble, you get a bit of a skewed idea of how the world works. Although maybe we're all a bit like that, and I just notice it because I am on the outside looking in.

Networking won't magically create jobs for poor employees, but helps getting your foot in the door. Having a mutual acquaintance who can vouch for you is a valuable thing when looking for any job. The value differs a fair bit based on industry - e.g. in finance and legal fields in Sydney/Melbourne you're tripping over private school graduates, so the degrees of separation between people are often pretty small.

Last edited:
Why were you taught to read by the local bookie and not a teacher?
Not sure my old Gran ever laid a bet in a life. She hated Grobbelaar, horrible little boy who only wanted to play football she said, although it was probably the Afrikaans surname as much as anything, she was terribly prejudiced against them. At least she was good enough to admit that she got it wrong when she said he'd never amount to anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back