Education & Reference Public and Private schooling

Remove this Banner Ad

This reminds me of The Wire where Namond is a dickhead student who slowly gets the help he needs while Dukie is a bright but not disruptive student who really does 'fall through the cracks' as the series goes on. I'm simplifying the plot there but it was a good storyline.

Biggest crock of s**t I hear about public schools, the bad public schools, is "If the kid's bright, isn't easily distracted and wants to learn they'll be fine". You know who's usually easily distracted and not super interested about learning? The typical kid. When Shane Bogan and another five attention seekers get in arguments with teachers each day all the focus in the world won't stop the distraction.

"Good kids will do well anywhere" is what I used to hear. The thing is that it's true, but it's also bullshit.

It doesn't take much to push a kid off the rails. A mate of mine (single parent family, s**t area) was the dux of his public school and is doing really well for himself. I also went to school with a couple of guys who were pretty bright, in WAFL junior development squads etc. that were more interested in smoking bongs and drinking Woodstocks. Last I heard one of them was working in a pizza shop and is closer to 40 than 30. Also know someone who works in a primary school in a s**t area. Reckons he gives the good kids almost no time and spends most of his lessons dealing with disruptive kents.

There was a study done some ten years ago where identical twins attended different schools. It had some insanely good results from what I remember. Can't remember the name of the study or if it was true but if it was I think, from memory, it was quite unexpected what did happen.

I like how people say things like “we can afford private school but choose government as it’s better value for money”

I work with a lot of people who earn $130k plus that won't pay $80 a year in voluntary school fees. 'It's public, I pay enough tax so it's paid for.'

Makes my blood boil.

There was a study done some ten years ago where identical twins attended different schools. It had some insanely good results from what I remember. Can't remember the name of the study or if it was true but if it was I think, from memory, it was quite unexpected what did happen.
Your post reads like clickbait

I work with a lot of people who earn $130k plus that won't pay $80 a year in voluntary school fees. 'It's public, I pay enough tax so it's paid for.'

Makes my blood boil.

It's petty, but they have a point.

I pay my taxes and make no use of schools, minimal use of hospitals etc. at my current stage in life. No problem with that. Shits me when people with kids who do make use of these govt services (as intended) have their snouts in the trough for family tax payment this and that and complain about people not paying enough tax.

/aside

Well thanks for the all the information!

It's petty, but they have a point.

I pay my taxes and make no use of schools, minimal use of hospitals etc. at my current stage in life. No problem with that. Shits me when people with kids who do make use of these govt services (as intended) have their snouts in the trough for family tax payment this and that and complain about people not paying enough tax.

/aside
I hope you get sick.

So you can benefit from your tax money :)

Public school. Private school.

Either way, your kids will probably end up in some 9-5 office job where their only function is to help their multi-million dollar company achieve a slightly bigger profit for the year. They'll work laboriously to earn that next promotion so they can afford a more expensive TV or maybe a secondhand BMW. Then they'll get married to someone that they'll eventually grow to detest, and they'll s**t out a couple of kids. They'll never accomplish any of their dreams, never break out of their mundane career, and then eventually they'll die.

Last edited:
Public school. Private school.

Either way, your kids will probably end up in some 9-5 office job where their only function is to help their multi-million dollar company achieve a slightly bigger profit for the year. They'll work laboriously to earn that next promotion so they can afford a more expensive TV or maybe a second hand BMW. Then they'll get married to someone that they'll eventually grow to detest, and they'll s**t out a couple of kids. They'll never accomplish any of their dreams, never break out of their mundane career, and then eventually they'll die.

Never break out of their career? Some folks pray for that kind of job stability

Either way, your kids will probably end up in some 9-5 office job where their only function is to help their multi-million dollar company achieve a slightly bigger profit for the year.

Yeah but the private school kid will have the corner office and the six figure salary, drive a company car and get invited to corporate golf days. Meanwhile the public school kid will be stuck in the open plan fish bowl doing thankless tasks for $40k a year. There are different levels of corporate hell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Public school, it was one of the top schools at the time.
No complaints it was well run, I had friends who went to Private they ended up on the same level or lower after they finished,only difference was family money.

In our day the school weeded the people out as we went along the dumber aggressive types were introduced to police and army recruiters at about year 10
The indoorsy types, not massively bright ones but with good grooming and social skills, were introduced to Bank recruiters
The non academic hands on boys were matched up as apprentices a lot with parents of students or within other departments (SEC, Gas n Fuel etc).
Non academic girls were sent off to secretarial schools
If you didnt get a C average in year 11 you were not invited to do HSC you either left to get a job or headed of to the "lesser" school in the neighbouring suburb or sat the public service exam.
The rest sat HSC we used to get pass marks in the 80s%
Then you went off to Uni

There were "real" jobs though in those days and the school was very good at getting kids were they thought they needed to be

Last edited:
I went to both.

In Tassie it would make little difference for mine. I wouldn't bust a nut to send kids to private school here.

The big thing with private school is the network effect. Most of the kids at private school here were from wealthy land owning families so they were all farmers so going down the professional career route like I did you have to move to the mainland to start out so you don't have the advantage of the network anyway.

Probably different in Melbourne if you are doing law or accounting and the HR departments of the big firms are full of *******s from Xavier or Scotch or wherever who would turn their nose up if you didn't go to one of those schools.

The non academic hands on boys were matched up as apprentices a lot with parents of students or within other departments (SEC, Gas n Fuel etc).

Ha! I remember those days. Halls full of 16 boys doing aptitude tests. I remember testing for SEC, Telecom, Esso and RAAF. I was more lazy than stupid, so after a decent year 11 I scraped through 12 and scored a traineeship instead of an apprenticeship (you got a TAFE Dip on top of a trade). There was probably about 180 boys and girls started year 10. Reckon it was about 42 who finished year 12.

Had a mate who left half way through year 10 for an apprentice greenkeeper job. Good bloke, just not academically gifted. Was a different time. I'm amazed at how much vocation has changed just during my working career.

Young kids must still get apprenticeships though? We'll always need plumbers and sparkies and fridgies and locksmiths. The one under 40 must have come from somewhere. No big intakes though.

* yeah - the killing of "junior wages" for apprentices back in the late 80's changed things.
** just my internal monolog here. Had a s**t day.

Ha! I remember those days. Halls full of 16 boys doing aptitude tests. I remember testing for SEC, Telecom, Esso and RAAF. I was more lazy than stupid, so after a decent year 11 I scraped through 12 and scored a traineeship instead of an apprenticeship (you got a TAFE Dip on top of a trade). There was probably about 180 boys and girls started year 10. Reckon it was about 42 who finished year 12.

Had a mate who left half way through year 10 for an apprentice greenkeeper job. Good bloke, just not academically gifted. Was a different time. I'm amazed at how much vocation has changed just during my working career.

Young kids must still get apprenticeships though? We'll always need plumbers and sparkies and fridgies and locksmiths. The one under 40 must have come from somewhere. No big intakes though.

* yeah - the killing of "junior wages" for apprentices back in the late 80's changed things.
** just my internal monolog here. Had a s**t day.
2 things killed it

Apprenticeships and manufacturing drying up

The Federal Government raising the age of the dole to 18 to manipulate figures, forcing students to stay at school longer . Those deadheads that would have dropped out are forced to stay at school clogging up a system that isnt designed for them

Went to the local public high school and got into unimelb with an ATAR in the top 3% of the state and scored a full time job the week after graduating uni.

I can’t see how I could have done any better at a private school, a lot of it is on the individual.

That being said, it really depends on location and the quality of the public school. Mine had a reputation as one of the really good ones - being in a swinging seat definitely helps there. Probably would have been sent to a private/catholic school if the local public option wasn’t good.

Most of my mates that went to private schools are now tradies. But they’re no doubt making more than me anyway so go figure.

2 things killed it

Apprenticeships and manufacturing drying up

The Federal Government raising the age of the dole to 18 to manipulate figures, forcing students to stay at school longer . Those deadheads that would have dropped out are forced to stay at school clogging up a system that isnt designed for them

I think school is more catered to those types now though, with being able to do apprenticeships etc while still at school from what I hear.

I went to a private school but it was a very middle class one, don't think i would have done any better or worse at a public school but I don't know (was an all boys school).

2c5d75992134b4aa0c878f645b2ae2dd.jpg

I think school is more catered to those types now though, with being able to do apprenticeships etc while still at school from what I hear.

I went to a private school but it was a very middle class one, don't think i would have done any better or worse at a public school but I don't know (was an all boys school).

you never will either.

I see merits in both.

Having been to both, heard statements from public students that private schools are snobs and look down on us. In my many years of private experience this is not true. Private students dont care about others :)

Some tid bits from my experiences, what ive heard for and against:

- "if i send my kids to public school we can go on holidays"

DyXTaUEX0AALrGC.jpg

- not spending $$$$$ sending my kids to primary school, later years is what matters
Formative years are just as critical for development (not to say you dont get that in public)

- i went to public school, nothing wrong with me
yes, but why are you sending your kids to catholic schools?

There's only 50 or so Xavier-type really rich private schools with networks that mean something. Minuscule number of Australians get into them.

If you're a long way from a big city, like a 4 hour or more drive, private schools might work like that too.

But most private schools in could-be-anywhere sububia don't have that. The teachers aren't remarkable. Their appeal for parents is bored attention seekers get ****ed off.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back