The Law Public gatherings of more than two people are banned.

Remove this Banner Ad

That link is over a month old. Or am I missing a joke here?
Why does it matter that it’s that a month old?

When this is done almost all transmission will have been found to have happened indoors, with a component from large, densely populated events, like a banquet, parade or footy match.

Very unlikely any cases will be discovered where people caught it from being in a group of five at a picnic or the beach.

When this is done almost all transmission will have been found to have happened indoors, with a component from large, densely populated events, like a banquet, parade or footy match.

Very unlikely any cases will be discovered where people caught it from being in a group of five at a picnic or the beach.

It's highly likely if one is infected. Would you share a picnic with someone you knew was carrying the virus?

I don't want to argue silly points, but the point of locking down is to reduce exposure... A picnic doesn't help.

It's highly likely if one is infected. Would you share a picnic with someone you knew was carrying the virus?

I don't want to argue silly points, but the point of locking down is to reduce exposure... A picnic doesn't help.
I wouldn’t want to share a supermarket or hospital with someone who is infected, but that’s what we’re left with.

Two things you forgot with that:

1) it's not saying indoor vs outdoor. It said 85% within the household. That may be due to proximity, or duration of exposure, or indoor vs outdoor. Point is the why wasn't analysed.

2) Sichuan and Guangdong provinces had people under household lockdown pretty much from CNY to just recently. Prior to this people were social distancing already when word of what was happening in Wuhan was coming out leading into CNY (I remember because we were discussing this with my family who are near one of these provinces)

1) it's not saying indoor vs outdoor. It said 85% within the household. That may be due to proximity, or duration of exposure, or indoor vs outdoor. Point is the why wasn't analysed.
Mindless nitpicking. Pretty clearly it is indoor, it doesn’t have to be explicitly spelled out to know that.

Mindless nitpicking. Pretty clearly it is indoor, it doesn’t have to be explicitly spelled out to know that.

Actually it does because that's how false assumptions lead to invalid solutions.

Under your premise, if everyone works and lives outdoors, the virus will pretty much die. Yet we aren't being told to do that - I wonder why

Actually it does because that's how false assumptions lead to invalid solutions.
Yeah I’m sure all these Chinese households are transmitting it in their ample backyards on quarter acre blocks.

Under your premise, if everyone works and lives outdoors, the virus will pretty much die. Yet we aren't being told to do that - I wonder why

What

Yeah I’m sure all these Chinese households are transmitting it in their ample backyards on quarter acre blocks.
The initial spread appears to be at a market. Not sure if that's covered or open air.

The initial spread appears to be at a market. Not sure if that's covered or open air.

Bit of both. Chinese markets like this are similar to what we have at Vic Market, just with walls at the back and side of the stalls, and a ceiling covering the main part of the stall (some stuff usually pushes out into the more open causeways)

images

Let that one sink in.

Yes, COVID19 had given us a lot to process in a short amount of time. And I'm all for pretty strict measures to contain this thing early and buy time to ramp up our medical capability.

But of all the crazy headlines we've seen, this is the one, had we six months ago been told it would happen, that would seem the most jarring.

We've had the state enforce rationing in war time. England had the blackout. We've sent 20 year old boys to war involuntarily.

But I recon this is the most sinister. In all those other cases, the public could assemble, show dissent, discuss and organise. Even in wartime, people gathered for dances, to drink, to associate. It was galvanising and it lifted the spirits.

Not now. ( Internet notwithstanding, and to quote Finch from American Pie, thank God for the Internet) It will have a marked effect on the virus spread. But it also gives the state a great platform to quash any possible protest, uprising or dissent right from the start.

I'm giving the government the benefit of the doubt here, but I recon we are right on the edge with this one.

Thoughts?

Agreed we are right on the edge for this.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the degree of threat and lack of immediate response I'd say the edge has been crossed. Governments in particular NSW have gone too far with this.

NSW govt announce the movement restrictions are now in place for 90 days (till Jun 27)

NSW govt announce the movement restrictions are now in place for 90 days (till Jun 27)

Your avatar is so true it isn't funny. Anyone speaks or debates you are shut up.

Weirdly as I posted above this thing was actually being well contained before the government got involved. Just needed a few strategic border closures and some social distancing at the right time.

There are 2 schools of thought rather than buzz words:
1) Flatten the curve. This concedes most will get it anyway but attempts to stagger the infection rate to protect hospitals
2) Exterminate.

Need to go rd 2 than 1 not the other way round.

Not much we can do as individuals thou atm. Just ride it out and see where it goes. The virus and response are like a tsunami now. No way to predict who hits what.

What do people think about the banning of firearms and ammunition sales? What's the rationale behind it?

I'm a proponent of strict gun laws etc, but don't know, I'm not the biggest fan of this. Perhaps put a hold on the issuing of new licenses. But I feel like people with licenses should still be able to buy ammunition.

Your avatar is so true it isn't funny. Anyone speaks or debates you are shut up.

Weirdly as I posted above this thing was actually being well contained before the government got involved. Just needed a few strategic border closures and some social distancing at the right time.

There are 2 schools of thought rather than buzz words:
1) Flatten the curve. This concedes most will get it anyway but attempts to stagger the infection rate to protect hospitals
2) Exterminate.

Need to go rd 2 than 1 not the other way round.

Not much we can do as individuals thou atm. Just ride it out and see where it goes. The virus and response are like a tsunami now. No way to predict who hits what.

How the * was I debating anything you said?

You said the NSW restrictions go too far. I said they just announced they would be maintained for 90 days

That's not debating or arguing with you, it's adding additional information ffs

How the fu** was I debating anything you said?

You said the NSW restrictions go too far. I said they just announced they would be maintained for 90 days

That's not debating or arguing with you, it's adding additional information ffs

Was adding to your point. Not debating at all. Just didn't see the need to repeat the 90 day thing. (Worrying)

My debating point was more to do with the hysteria of this thing. As in anyone who debates the government response or the necessity of restrictions is shouted down or told they are selfish etc etc. Although that is more a MSM thing. Haven't really noticed it irl. Although people are changing behaviour that's for sure.

Was adding to your point. Not debating at all. Just didn't see the need to repeat the 90 day thing. (Worrying)

My debating point was more to do with the hysteria of this thing. As in anyone who debates the government response or the necessity of restrictions is shouted down or told they are selfish etc etc. Although that is more a MSM thing. Haven't really noticed it irl. Although people are changing behaviour that's for sure.

Bull s**t

You said "Your avatar is so true it isn't funny. Anyone speaks or debates you are shut up."

What the * was being debated, and how was I shutting you up?

Bull s**t

You said "Your avatar is so true it isn't funny. Anyone speaks or debates you are shut up."

What the fu** was being debated, and how was I shutting you up?

Your avatar of Flanders being dragged away when he went on a rant. Never said you were shutting me up more that these measures have been rushed through and anyone who tries to debate the negatives has been sidelined. But whatever can't be bothered arguing the point over.

Yep, thanks for that. It’ll be interesting to compare that with figures from other countries-suspect in Australia there will be fewer percentage of transmissions coming from within the household group but we’ll see.

Rules themselves are open to all sorts of interpretations particularly the part on indoor gathering.

While families are exempt (ie more than a 2 person family) I take it others can't come and visit.
BUT
If someone lives alone are they allowed visitor (1) or is that breaching the non essential reason for leaving.

Someone did ask I thought a legitimate question in the press conference which wasn't answered just rubbished away with "I'm not providing headlines"
and it was dating. As in Can a partner stay over? (Goes to whether you consider this essential or not I guess).
Can you exercise with 1 other person? was the other one.

Also the isolation protocols in the house. Do you have to keep 1.5m apart if you live together (or is that for visitors etc). Very confusing document.

Also Vic measures expire on 14th April. But NSW are going to July. Do NSW have the same new restrictions as Vic or are NSWs the old system? (5 per gathering etc) Anyone from NSW what do your laws look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back