AFL Club
Carlton
historically the biggest crowds in footy have been on public holidays

In recent years the AFL has allowed certain games to monopolies the days

Should introduce a pretty simple rule draw 80k + or lose the day

Why does it matter? Whoever turns up turns up.
There are many reasons people go or don't go, that's just life.
I agree to many days are monopolised and I think they should not be like that, but whoever plays and I think they should all be shared around the crowd is the crowd no matter what it is.

I see a flaw in your cunning plan. AFL is a national game and only Melbourne and Sydney have stadiums with that capacity. Given 64k for a Sydney derby final un our wildest dreams we couldn't get an 80k crowd on a PH.

:D If you meant a shitfight between Melbourne teams over the G on public holidays, I'm good, carry on

Why does it matter? Whoever turns up turns up.
There are many reasons people go or don't go, that's just life.
I agree to many days are monopolised and I think they should not be like that, but whoever plays and I think they should all be shared around the crowd is the crowd no matter what it is.

Agree they should be shared around with the exception of Anzac Day , Collingwood v Essendon should be a lock

However I think there should be game in every state on Anzac Day preferably derbies !!

I see a flaw in your cunning plan. AFL is a national game and only Melbourne and Sydney have stadiums with that capacity. Given 64k for a Sydney derby final un our wildest dreams we couldn't get an 80k crowd on a PH.

:D If you meant a shitfight between Melbourne teams over the G on public holidays, I'm good, carry on
not true , would like to see the Swans play the Giants @ the SCG as part of Anzac Day games

for the record I don't think the Blues & Richmond should be a lock for the season opener either !!

That's ridiculous. The only Victorian clubs which have consistently drawn 80k on a public holiday is Collingwood and Essendon (11 consecutive matches since the redevelopment of the MCG).

Even the terrific Geelong and Hawthorn matches only saw 80k once.

Agree they should be shared around with the exception of Anzac Day , Collingwood v Essendon should be a lock

However I think there should be game in every state on Anzac Day preferably derbies !!

Every game should rotate, there's no reason why Anzac Day should be a lock. Pretty boring game every year and watching at least one and usually two rubbish teams go at it and then award a medal to someone for BOG in a H&A game :rolleyes:

If Collingwood/Essendon are such big drawing clubs they should be able to get the same crowd anytime they play so the "big crowd" argument is redundant

not true , would like to see the Swans play the Giants @ the SCG as part of Anzac Day games

for the record I don't think the Blues & Richmond should be a lock for the season opener either !!
I dont have a problem with big games in Melbourne. I feel like whether Carlton-Richmond open the season is someone else's problem, but it's logical it be at the G. Same for Anzac day but I am not comfortable that medals are given out for a H/A game.

Complains about monopolies.

Calls for a rule that will see big clubs monopolise marquee fixtures.

Makes sense.
Become a 'big club' then.

Nobody stopping any club going out there trying to recruit more fans

Become a 'big club' then.

Nobody stopping any club going out there trying to recruit more fans
Easy for Eagles fans to say, they were gifted an entire state's worth of supporters.

If the Cats/Hawks fans stop caring about the rivalry, then sure give it to another Vic Rivalry that builds. I can't see that happening any time soon though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's ridiculous. The only Victorian clubs which have consistently drawn 80k on a public holiday is Collingwood and Essendon (11 consecutive matches since the redevelopment of the MCG).

Even the terrific Geelong and Hawthorn matches only saw 80k once.

You do realise that the MCG has both AFL and MCC members - to actually get a ticket in Adelaide (on a per capita basis it has crowds bigger than Melbourne) you actually need to be a paid up member of the club or buy a general admission ticket. No freebies.

The ideal Easter fixture is this

Thursday night - remaining teams (fox)
Good Friday twilight - North v Dogs (ch 7)
Good Friday night - Adelaide v Port or WC v Freo (fox)
Saturday early - remaining teams (fox)
Saturday twilight - remaining teams (fox)
Saturday night - remaining teams (ch 7)
Sunday afternoon - 2 vic teams (ch 7)
Sunday night - remaining teams (fox)
Monday afternoon - 2 vic teams (ch 7)

the 320 time slot was silly when you consider school holidays are over today.
In recent years, the easter monday fixture has been early/mid holidays and getting home at 7/730/8 is less of an issue. Especially for the geelong supporters from Geelong.

The only public holiday game that shits me is Anzac Day, purely because the media beats it up to be more than a game. Seriously if I see James Hird 3x Anzac medalist again I'll be sick. Never hear how many times someone's won the Ross Glendinning medal yet it's the equivalent.
not really
there isn't a second medal when we happen to meet again in a later game in the season...if we do.
slightly different

but yes, there shouldn't be a medal.
As for the media beat up, they're business is to build things up to get people to watch. they do it with everything.

Personally not a fan of public holiday or marquee games as a whole. The disappointing thing about the good Friday game is that now the only real public holiday left is Labor Day.
ANZAC day and The dreamtime game are by far the worst. I find it incredibly disrespectful to have the medal and I hate the war comparisons that get made all day.
All should just be passed around between different club. The crowds and tv ratings are insignificant as I think any club would pull a decent crowd if the had the chance.
I hate having the Easter Monday game, it is the worst time slot to have especially when it isn't in school holidays. Not sure why they made it 3:20 today(apart from channel 7s choice), should've been 2:30, 3 at the latest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back