Public holiday football

Remove this Banner Ad

Said all along the Carlton v Richmond game should not be a lock

That said the crowds for Carlton v Richmond are more consistent @ 70k plus which given their on field performances is even more impressive !!

No more than Geel v Haw pre 2017. In fact Haw v Geel has been the most consistent 60k plus draw for a home and away game for years (the last 16 home and away games). In some ways EM 2017 is akin to Rd 1 2011. A 62.5k crowd was a pretty solid roll up given the circumstances (nonetheless approx 12k lower then the EM 2010/16 average of 74.2k).

...and given the EM games pre 2010 were a resounding success (aside from some sporadic games in the 90s) Im really not sure what you are getting at really...

No more than Geel v Haw pre 2017. In fact Haw v Geel has been the most consistent 60k plus draw for a home and away game for years (the last 11 home and away games) across the league. In some ways EM 2017 is akin to Rd 1 2011. A 62.5k crowd was a pretty solid roll up given the circumstances (approx 12k lower then the EM 2010/16 average of 74.2k).

...and given the EM games pre 2010 were a resounding success (aside from some sporadic games in the 90s) Im really not sure what you are getting at really...
The Hawks & Geelong have been the best 2 Vic clubs for 10+ years

The real test for their clash is when one or both drop off , & today was a worrying trend

The ideal Easter fixture is this

Thursday night - remaining teams (fox)
Good Friday twilight - North v Dogs (ch 7)
Good Friday night - Adelaide v Port or WC v Freo (fox)
Saturday early - remaining teams (fox)
Saturday twilight - remaining teams (fox)
Saturday night - remaining teams (ch 7)
Sunday afternoon - 2 vic teams (ch 7)
Sunday night - remaining teams (fox)
Monday afternoon - 2 vic teams (ch 7)

would like eagles vs swans to remain on thursday, would love a 'marquee/thursday blockbuster' to inculde 2 non vic teams and they are easily 2 most successful non-vic clubs

The Hawks & Geelong have been the best 2 Vic clubs for 10+ years

The real test for their clash is when one or both drop off , & today was a worrying trend

Maybe. Nonetheless I'm not sure how you could query the fixture on the basis of a 62.5k attendance which was larger then many non ANZAC Day marquee fixtures over the years

Evidently the fixture drew a crowd that was just 6k less then the first Haw v Geel EM fixture in 2010. The EM peak was probably 2013-16 where all fixtures drew 75k give or take.

would like eagles vs swans to remain on thursday, would love a 'marquee/thursday blockbuster' to inculde 2 non vic teams and they are easily 2 most successful non-vic clubs
Given the ratings it got on Fox (second highest H&A ratings ever), I'm sure Fox will be pushing for that game to be an exclusive fixture each year.

I'm not following...? You're saying that with an Adelaide club support membership, you can't get into an Adelaide home game? That's certainly not the case for, say, a Geelong-based AFL member with Geelong club support. Then why would an Adelaide-based Crows supporter buy an AFL membership?

People buy AFL memberships because it provides them a better deal than whatever their club membership offers and because their club gets a whack out of the annual sub anyway. To remove them from the total attendance in a given game at the MCG, or to throw a blanket 'freebies' tag on these entire stands at the MCG is kind of ridiculous. If the AFL membership didn't exist, the overwhelming majority of the AFL members in attendance would be club members and a healthy portion of the MCC would be too (if they're not already - with the new MCC/club memberships on offer for every Victorian club, I think people might be surprised at how many MCC members are also a paid member of their club).

Why? 1. I do get to Melbourne regularly and watch both Adelaide games and neutral games as well. 2. Guaranteed GF seat if Adelaide make GF and have been to other GFs as well (Hawks vs Sydney). 3. Because I can afford it and a % goes back to the AFC. 4. Don't play golf.

Load of crap OP. As a neutral I would much rather prefer watching Cats v Doggies this w/e than Pies v Bombers. Sure they may fill out the G because those later clubs have huge supporter bases but who is watching at home? I'll be doing the gardening. Besides, I reckon Cats V Doggies would get a decent crowd which most neutrals would go watch.

I wish the AFL would make a decision based on integrity rather than $$. Opening game should be a replay of the previous GF no matter if all non-Vic teams.
Anzac day Melb should be the highest two placed Vic teams from the previous year. Queens Bday Melb should be 3 v 4 highest Vic teams and so on.

You want a way to stop tanking? Make clubs earn the right to play on the big days by finishing as high as they can on the ladder rather than gift them prime fixtures for ordinary performances. Dangle the incentive carrot.

I'd be pissed if I were a Saints fan. Now the only Vic team without a big day fixture (or are we counting the NZ experiment?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? 1. I do get to Melbourne regularly and watch both Adelaide games and neutral games as well. 2. Guaranteed GF seat if Adelaide make GF and have been to other GFs as well (Hawks vs Sydney). 3. Because I can afford it and a % goes back to the AFC. 4. Don't play golf.

So, by your own definition, if you were sitting in the AFL members for, say the round 2 Hawthorn v Adelaide game, you'd fall under your own definition of a 'freebie'. Yet, if I'm reading you correctly, you've paid for a club membership, not once, but twice (AFL member and a regular Adelaide membership of some sort). Is that right?

The MCC members, ok, there are a lot in there who don't really contribute anything financially to the club that they support (though there are also a lot who do). But to consider an AFL member to be some sort of freeloader, when a sizable amount of their membership payment goes directly to the club they support is just wrong.

Maybe we should play the entire fixture on public holidays

Maximise attendance
I know there is a touch of sarcasm in your comment

However more games should be played on public holidays

Swans v Giants Anzac Day @ the SCG ??

Potential Anzac Day fixture

Anzac eve Melbourne. v Richmond
Anzac Day Essendon v Collingwood
Anzac twilight Swans v Giants SCG
Anzac night Saints v Carlton @ Docklands

Load of crap OP. As a neutral I would much rather prefer watching Cats v Doggies this w/e than Pies v Bombers. Sure they may fill out the G because those later clubs have huge supporter bases but who is watching at home? I'll be doing the gardening. Besides, I reckon Cats V Doggies would get a decent crowd which most neutrals would go watch.
It's not going to change when it has pretty much become a culture to watch Essendon vs Collingwood play. Consistently draw a crowd and consistently brings the ratings to the point where it has become the marquee home and away game, even if both teams haven't been going great.
22 years is a long time to keep it going. The AFL wouldn't mess with what works for them.

Potential Anzac Day fixture

Anzac eve Melbourne. v Richmond
Anzac Day Essendon v Collingwood
Anzac twilight Swans v Giants SCG
Anzac night Saints v Carlton @ Docklands

if this were to happen this year, we would get only one friday night, one saturday arvo, one saturday twilight, one saturday night and one sunday game

not enough weekend footy

So, by your own definition, if you were sitting in the AFL members for, say the round 2 Hawthorn v Adelaide game, you'd fall under your own definition of a 'freebie'. Yet, if I'm reading you correctly, you've paid for a club membership, not once, but twice (AFL member and a regular Adelaide membership of some sort). Is that right?

The MCC members, ok, there are a lot in there who don't really contribute anything financially to the club that they support (though there are also a lot who do). But to consider an AFL member to be some sort of freeloader, when a sizable amount of their membership payment goes directly to the club they support is just wrong.

Yes, I've paid for both an AFL membership and Adelaide Crows in Adelaide. More money than sense perhaps.
Hardly a freebie when I'm watching the club I financially support. But if I went to Collingwood vs Essendon, absolutely a freebie.

Agree I don't have an issue with AFL members as it is good value but my biggest issue is with MCC members.

It's not going to change when it has pretty much become a culture to watch Essendon vs Collingwood play. Consistently draw a crowd and consistently brings the ratings to the point where it has become the marquee home and away game, even if both teams haven't been going great.
22 years is a long time to keep it going. The AFL wouldn't mess with what works for them.
And imagine how big it could be if it was reserved for the 2 highest Vic teams from the previous year.

Even you would have to admit it has been a while since both teams on Anzac Day were competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back