Public holiday football

Remove this Banner Ad

Great idea, ANZAC Day would be Hawks v Cats this year, that was such a good game!

Monday is great proof as to why a changing fixture for a blockbuster doesnt work. Collingwood v Essendon is already sold out even with our shitness this year
No it would be Doggies v Cats. You realise the Dogs won the flag, yes?

Pies-Bombers will always be a sell out, no matter when they play. By playing it on Anzac day just means there will be less viewers. Imagine a yearly fixture where 2 teams earn the privilege to play on the big day and are both somewhere near the top of the competition.

BTW, I have nothing against either the Pies or Bombers. I am sure both teams will come good very soon and the Anzac Day clash will be worth watching again for us neutrals.

And on Hawthorn's demise, how often does a team drop as hard as they have this year? Once in a blue moon and consider that it was self inflicted too. Besides, even if it were Cats-Hawks it just means that the Easter Monday game (another fixture that needs to be looked at) got moved to Anzac day. As one sided as it was, I would argue the game last Monday would be as interesting as any of the last 5 Anzac Day games, so no loss there.

Yes, I've paid for both an AFL membership and Adelaide Crows in Adelaide. More money than sense perhaps.
Hardly a freebie when I'm watching the club I financially support. But if I went to Collingwood vs Essendon, absolutely a freebie.

Agree I don't have an issue with AFL members as it is good value but my biggest issue is with MCC members.

I think it currently falls in the 'who cares?' category, when the stadium is half full every other game and would be lucky to crack 80% capacity a handful of times per season (even if you include finals). Besides the grand final and Anzac Day it would be very, very rare for someone to want to go to the MCG, being able to afford a ticket and not being able to get a seat somewhere.

The MCC has extended its existing MCC/MFC membership to all Victorian clubs this year (I assume: I've changed my full Geelong membership to MCC/GFC this year), which gives members access to three games in Melbourne (and/or Geelong for Cats members) along with the standard MCC access. Basically the equivalent of a three game membership (the difference that I see is it gives access to away games at Etihad, for example).

It would be very interesting to see what the uptake is on these memberships, club by club. I think it's a great initiative by the MCC and the clubs to encourage MCC members to actively support the club without breaking the bank (on top of the annual MCC subs).

Collingwood v Essendon on ANZAC day has been going over 20 years and basically sold out each time. The AFL will never change the sides as there is to much $$$$ involved.

Carlton are one of the bigger clubs which dont have one of these days which is a bit of a surprise.
They aren't an especially big club at present. As at right now, their website indicates they have only 5,000 more members then Melbourne or the Saints. That's not big.

They do have a hovercraft though and that is pretty awesome.

Taken a little longer than usual for the annual 'swap the teams on ANZAC Day' thread. :drunk:

Personally not a fan of public holiday or marquee games as a whole. The disappointing thing about the good Friday game is that now the only real public holiday left is Labor Day.
ANZAC day and The dreamtime game are by far the worst. I find it incredibly disrespectful to have the medal and I hate the war comparisons that get made all day.
All should just be passed around between different club. The crowds and tv ratings are insignificant as I think any club would pull a decent crowd if the had the chance.
I hate having the Easter Monday game, it is the worst time slot to have especially when it isn't in school holidays. Not sure why they made it 3:20 today(apart from channel 7s choice), should've been 2:30, 3 at the latest.

Except Dreamtime is nothing like the rest as it only requires a Saturday night game (of which there are 40+ in a season) and the MCG. It's a pretty simple marquee game to put on and nothing is stopping other clubs from trying their own themed matches (like Dogs and Melbourne did with the pink lady game).

I understood the mcc pay a levy each game to the clubs for each mcc member who declares an afl team

They pay for all attendees in the reserve, regardless of club supported.

I don't care about the medals, it's just cringeworthy when commentators bring them up later as some sort of measure of a brilliant career - "he's a three-time ANZAC medallist"!

Or when someone uses it on a Supreme Court writ. :$

Collingwood v Essendon on ANZAC day has been going over 20 years and basically sold out each time. The AFL will never change the sides as there is to much $$$$ involved.
This is the same rhetoric you Pies and Bombers fans keep spruiking.

The Pies-Bombers will sell out regardless when it is played and the G will sell out for any top Vic teams who get the chance to play on Anzac Day as neutrals will also want to go watch a great game. So nothing changes except more fans (who wouldn't otherwise go) going to watch the Anzac game between top teams because of the unique time slot and more viewers on the TV. Means more $$ for the AFL.

historically the biggest crowds in footy have been on public holidays

In recent years the AFL has allowed certain games to monopolies the days

Should introduce a pretty simple rule draw 80k + or lose the day
Is this actually true? Any stats? Games in which two Victorian teams in the top 4 play each other would probably have bigger.

Is this actually true? Any stats? Games in which two Victorian teams in the top 4 play each other would probably have bigger.
How far back do you want to go ??

99k Melbourne v Collingwood QB
95k Richmond v Collingwood Anzac
93k Hawks v Collingwood VFL Park 1981 QB
92k Richmond v Essendon 1982 EM
89k Essendon v Gee long 1989 QB
85k Carlton v Collingwood 1994 EM
95k Collingwood v Essendon 1995 Anzac
81k Carlton very Essendon 1997 EM

There were other 70k+ crowds & going back plenty of sold out suburban grounds !!

They aren't an especially big club at present. As at right now, their website indicates they have only 5,000 more members then Melbourne or the Saints. That's not big.

They do have a hovercraft though and that is pretty awesome.
In terms of drawing 80k plus crowds it's Collingwood then daylight to Essendon & Carlton then daylight to Richmond , Gee long , Hawks

Ps: would not place to much emphasis on member nos. Hawks & Richmond have "70k" plus members but would struggle to get 50k to their game

How far back do you want to go ??

99k Melbourne v Collingwood QB
95k Richmond v Collingwood Anzac
93k Hawks v Collingwood VFL Park 1981 QB
92k Richmond v Essendon 1982 EM
89k Essendon v Gee long 1989 QB
85k Carlton v Collingwood 1994 EM
95k Collingwood v Essendon 1995 Anzac
81k Carlton very Essendon 1997 EM

There were other 70k+ crowds & going back plenty of sold out suburban grounds !!
You are only listing the public holiday crowds though. There are plenty of non public holiday home and away games that have had over eighty thousand. My team has been involved in 6. Only two have been public holidays and all six have involved two Victorian teams in the top four.

Carlton and Richmond have ever only played in front of eighty thousand people at a home and away game if they are playing another top four club. They need the other teams supporters to get there.

Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and hawthorn have played in front of eighty thousand people multiple times when there opponent is not a top four club.

nothing big about blues and tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton and Richmond have ever only played in front of eighty thousand people at a home and away game if they are playing another top four club. They need the other teams supporters to get there.

Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and hawthorn have played in front of eighty thousand people multiple times when there opponent is not a top four club.

Richmond have played in front of 9 80k+ H&A crowds since 2007, only one of those matches was the opposition a top 4 side in either that year or the previous year.

For Carlton it's 13, with 7 top 4 opponents.

On the other hand Geelong haven't broken 80k in that timeframe without the help of Hawthorn or Collingwood (8 times, each one featuring two top 4 sides).

Nice try. :$

I always enjoy having footy on public holidays but I don't really like the idea of having Good Friday footy. Not because I am religious but because it has always been a day to be with the family and a day of rest. I'm willing to enbbrace the idea if it improves next year. I still enjoyed seeing North get beaten by 3 points due to a Lindsey Thomas * up!

Richmond have played in front of 9 80k+ H&A crowds since 2007, only one of those matches was the opposition a top 4 side in either that year or the previous year.

For Carlton it's 13, with 7 top 4 opponents.

On the other hand Geelong haven't broken 80k in that timeframe without the help of Hawthorn or Collingwood (8 times, each one featuring two top 4 sides).

Nice try. :$
And you say that like a top four clash is a bad thing? It's not a random event. It's influenced by how good a team you are.

Only thing I hate about public holiday footy is the stupid 2:50pm time slot (3:20pm est)
Why so late? channel 7 only care about the game finishing then going straight into news.
horrible time slot! should be the tradional 1:40pm (2:10pm est) time slot.

interesting quote

FYI - crowds >80k since 1990 which basically covers the period when all the bigger games being played @ the MCG (home & away only);

46/64 Collingwood
32 - Essendon
24 - Carlton

11 - Richmond
8 - Geelong
5 - Hawks
2 - Saints

They should have St.Kilda v Geelong at Docklands at the same time as Collingwood v Essendon on Anzac Day... so anyone that misses out on tix at the 'G can go to the other game
I'm pretty sure Channel Seven would have a clause in the broadcast rights agreement that no other game is played at the same time as the Collingwood v Essendon ANZAC Day game.

I don't want to get into the measures proposed in the OP but I firmly believe Hawks supporters deserve double time and a half for rocking up today.
Where's my backpay then?

I'll take it in PTSD counselling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back