buddy2fernando

Senior List
Apr 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Listening to Max Gawn on 360 tonight and he mentioned how only 4-5 players on the Melbourne list came from a public school and he believes the majority of footballers are from private schools due to the fact they are tought early how to work hard, discipline etc.
I thought it to be quite an interesting observation and want to know the rest of BigFooty's thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donakebab

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Listening to Max Gawn on 360 tonight and he mentioned how only 4-5 players on the Melbourne list came from a public school and he believes the majority of footballers are from private schools due to the fact they are tought early how to work hard, discipline etc.
I thought it to be quite an interesting observation and want to know the rest of BigFooty's thoughts.
Clearly that private school brainwashing worked.

Smoocher

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2013
Sporting capital of the world
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Magpies
Agree, public school system is a joke in all aspects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SBD Gonzalez

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
This may come as some shock to my southern cousins, but in NSW and Qld, there are actually two codes of rugby, namely rugby union (ie "Rugby" the original) and rugby league (ie "League", the breakaway code formed a hundred or so years ago).

Now, one of the defining points of difference between these two codes (who to a large extent hate each other's guts) is that Rugby is played almost exclusively at private schools, and League almost entirely at state schools.

It prompts me to ask my southern cousins, how on earth do the posh snobs and the hoi polloi effectively express their mutual disdain, if both private and public schools all play the same code of football?

Suma Magic

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
This may come as some shock to my southern cousins, but in NSW and Qld, there are actually two codes of rugby, namely rugby union (ie "Rugby" the original) and rugby league (ie "League", the breakaway code formed a hundred or so years ago).

Now, one of the defining points of difference between these two codes (who to a large extent hate each other's guts) is that Rugby is played almost exclusively at private schools, and League almost entirely at state schools.

It prompts me to ask my southern cousins, how on earth do the posh snobs and the hoi polloi effectively express their mutual disdain, if both private and public schools all play the same code of football?
They both laugh at rugby?

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
And even if they are not on scholarships, lots would join schools specifically so they can play school footy. Scotch, Xavier etc.

FootyGeek

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Not helping the Mt Buller stereotype there Mr Gawn.

Top Bottom