Public vs Private Schools

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah that is why I mentioned it was a random sample, it would have had a margin of error among other things.

Ultimately Uni is more important than where you go to school and five minutes int he workplace it really doesn't matter.

By definition every Victorian who did VCE in 2011 is not a random sample.

Where the * did you learn statistics?

So many awful teachers, I remember having a teacher in my computer class and we were doing some sort of project, not sure exactly what it was but he said this and I quote, "If anyone has any questions on what you should be doing ask Snowy". Snowy was a student in my class.

It's impossible that the teacher was just making a joke/engaging in some banter? I would have had several good teachers through high school that I could imagine saying something similar.

It's impossible that the teacher was just making a joke/engaging in some banter? I would have had several good teachers through high school that I could imagine saying something similar.

I had a teacher in high school who didn't think Japan or the Soviet Union were involved in WWII.

And she was teaching the WWII history part of year 10 Society and Environment

I thought the tac cup was where most kids got drafted from?
Surely with the amount of money the AFL pumps into this comp, they should be able to develop the next batch of draftees. State school kids get access to this training all season whereas private school kids only would in the school holidays I'm assuming.
Any way scholarships are only given by private schools so the school itself can promote itself (ie player X is a former insert school graduate)

There's a private school in a Melbourne bayside suburb that has an ex AFL coach coaching its football team. It won the last 2 APS titles. Melbourne currently as 4 ex students from this school, all of who started in primary school. No scholarships, just passion
Everyone knows Brighton Grammar, what's to hide?

Trust me, he was serious.

I thought the tac cup was where most kids got drafted from?
Surely with the amount of money the AFL pumps into this comp, they should be able to develop the next batch of draftees. State school kids get access to this training all season whereas private school kids only would in the school holidays I'm assuming.
Any way scholarships are only given by private schools so the school itself can promote itself (ie player X is a former insert school graduate)

When you get invited to the TAC program you are then hit up with fees. The more your willing to pay the better coaching and development you receive. Disgusting to think at this level that sort of thing can happen.

What exactly do you imagine public school to be like?!
Interesting comment, what makes you think public school kids are any more rough than private school kids.

Schools like Balwyn High School and McKinnon Secondary College are pretty similar in class make up to what would be found in the local private schools.

Other friends of mine talk about their public high schools being a bit rough and feral (people dakking each other in class, constant unwanted sexual advances, blowing up condoms into balloons and using them as beach balls, and quite sadly most people from the year level wanting to go to uni but almost none of them making it). Didn't see any of that stuff at my school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my experience, in Adelaide, people just consider them one and the same, probably because the majority of our non-public schools have some sort of religious affiliation.

School sport here is not nearly as developed and serious as in Victoria either, apparently. Very few if any schools offer sports scholarships, for example.

Completely untrue Damon. Ever checked out the PAC or Saints Sports Centres? State of the art. Lots of lads from not so well off backgrounds starring in their First 18s too.

There's a private school in a Melbourne bayside suburb that has an ex AFL coach coaching its football team. It won the last 2 APS titles. Melbourne currently as 4 ex students from this school, all of who started in primary school. No scholarships, just passion

Good call. And a good coach, good teachers, parents who sacrificed almost everything to send them there and some kids who care and try hard.

No doubt "passion" helped, but mum and dad's bank balances didn't hurt I'm sure.

For the record I'm private school educated but will be sending my kids to a quality state school for a variety of reasons.
That's your choice and I respect that. If you can afford to move into a top state school district so you child can attend that public school that's great your bank balance can afford that. Or does your child get special selection, just like a scholarship, to attend quality state school. Or are you just lucky to be in a district where the school is already very good?
Most mums and Dads who send kids to a private schools do and have sacrificed so much. My brother just sold his house and moved into a cheaper rental so he can keep his oldest son at a good school. His son is working his ass of, my sister in law works as well. Their holidays consist of camping as it's cheap and my nephew works on his holidays. He spent a few days over Easter working for a neighbour to clean his farm she'd out. What he earned went towards paying for his footy club fees.
Let's not stereo type hey.

So many awful teachers, I remember having a teacher in my computer class and we were doing some sort of project, not sure exactly what it was but he said this and I quote, "If anyone has any questions on what you should be doing ask Snowy". Snowy was a student in my class.
Perhaps Snowy could be hired by the AFL to fix their website

I've been to both public and private. My parents aren't overly rich yet sent me to a private school for a few years.
I'm filthy at them, I've come to realise it was an absolute waste. The kids aren't any brighter at a private school and nor were the teaches, kids tend to be more naive. Well at least in my case that's what I experienced.

What school?

Completely untrue Damon. Ever checked out the PAC or Saints Sports Centres? State of the art. Lots of lads from not so well off backgrounds starring in their First 18s too.

I went to a rival school (on academic scholarship, coming from a single income family), and played school sport against both, so I'm fully aware of the facilities they have. Even despite that, school sport in SA isn't taken nearly as seriously or considered the primary athletic development pathway as in other states, though. Sure, it's still a source of pride for many schools, but club play is still the main pathway for SA kids if they want to get anywhere in footy, soccer or basketball.

That's your choice and I respect that. If you can afford to move into a top state school district so you child can attend that public school that's great your bank balance can afford that. Or does your child get special selection, just like a scholarship, to attend quality state school. Or are you just lucky to be in a district where the school is already very good?
Most mums and Dads who send kids to a private schools do and have sacrificed so much. My brother just sold his house and moved into a cheaper rental so he can keep his oldest son at a good school. His son is working his ass of, my sister in law works as well. Their holidays consist of camping as it's cheap and my nephew works on his holidays. He spent a few days over Easter working for a neighbour to clean his farm she'd out. What he earned went towards paying for his footy club fees.
Let's not stereo type hey.

Your family may have an unhealthy attitude toward kids owing their parents.

Other friends of mine talk about their public high schools being a bit rough and feral (people dakking each other in class, constant unwanted sexual advances, blowing up condoms into balloons and using them as beach balls, and quite sadly most people from the year level wanting to go to uni but almost none of them making it). Didn't see any of that stuff at my school.
It also depend on the location of these schools as well. I doubt this sort of behaviour is a common occurrence in a school like Glenunga or Marryatville.

Good call. And a good coach, good teachers, parents who sacrificed almost everything to send them there and some kids who care and try hard.
is this a Melbourne thing (I have not stats) or is it a case of the AFL focusing on minorieties and missing the majority.

perhaps that's why soccer is absolutely booming

Private schools buy sports stars all the time. My daughter was a very promising swimmer and several schools were falling over themselves to get hold of her. I worked as a teacher in a state school in a working class area for many years, we had a teacher who played Volleyball for Australia, she created a team that were state champions under her expert coaching. The following year Haileybury offered the entire Volleyball team scholarships and took the lot of them. Its no surprise that any promising young player gets picked up by private schools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back