buddy2fernando

Team Captain
Apr 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Listening to Max Gawn on 360 tonight and he mentioned how only 4-5 players on the Melbourne list came from a public school and he believes the majority of footballers are from private schools due to the fact they are tought early how to work hard, discipline etc.
I thought it to be quite an interesting observation and want to know the rest of BigFooty's thoughts.

Listening to Max Gawn on 360 tonight and he mentioned how only 4-5 players on the Melbourne list came from a public school and he believes the majority of footballers are from private schools due to the fact they are tought early how to work hard, discipline etc.
I thought it to be quite an interesting observation and want to know the rest of BigFooty's thoughts.

Clearly that private school brainwashing worked.

Agree, public school system is a joke in all aspects.

I would suggest its a combination of things like:

1) country kids are sent to the city to go to private schools
2) private schools usually have compulsory sports commitments where public schools couldn't careless

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may come as some shock to my southern cousins, but in NSW and Qld, there are actually two codes of rugby, namely rugby union (ie "Rugby" the original) and rugby league (ie "League", the breakaway code formed a hundred or so years ago).

Now, one of the defining points of difference between these two codes (who to a large extent hate each other's guts) is that Rugby is played almost exclusively at private schools, and League almost entirely at state schools.

It prompts me to ask my southern cousins, how on earth do the posh snobs and the hoi polloi effectively express their mutual disdain, if both private and public schools all play the same code of football?

Studies have shown that students from private schools are more likely to get into professional football and end up making a lot more money, while wife-beaters and rapists are nearly all public-school-educated.
Some public students I know don't even have foxtel

This may come as some shock to my southern cousins, but in NSW and Qld, there are actually two codes of rugby, namely rugby union (ie "Rugby" the original) and rugby league (ie "League", the breakaway code formed a hundred or so years ago).

Now, one of the defining points of difference between these two codes (who to a large extent hate each other's guts) is that Rugby is played almost exclusively at private schools, and League almost entirely at state schools.

It prompts me to ask my southern cousins, how on earth do the posh snobs and the hoi polloi effectively express their mutual disdain, if both private and public schools all play the same code of football?

They both laugh at rugby?

Not helping the Mt Buller stereotype there Mr Gawn.

There's a private school in a Melbourne bayside suburb that has an ex AFL coach coaching its football team. It won the last 2 APS titles. Melbourne currently as 4 ex students from this school, all of who started in primary school. No scholarships, just passion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back