Public vs Private Schools

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Funny how rowing hasn't been mentioned. I didn't even know rowing existed for school kids and then i went to a private school. In certain schools its bigger than cricket in the summer.
Loved rowing in the eights, dead flat Swan river early morning, the only thing that sucked was eating breakfast with the boarder scum after training..;)

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Loved rowing in the eights, dead flat Swan river early morning, the only thing that sucked was eating breakfast with the boarder scum after training..;)
I remembered few kids talking me into rowing when i first joined the school But there was no way i was gonna be up before 7 am on a school night. yeah i too hate the boarders aha.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Good private schools are pre screeners of cultural capital. With the extra resources they pay for better edu resources. Endless cycle. Fortunately for the bedraggled there is either religion like the predominant Jewish sect in Oz, or dependence on substances, or daydreaming on the surface of life, or escapism into personal satiation, or in the rarest instance, the train driver becomes font head of wisdom and crushes, however temporarily, the cultural capitalists. It is this outlier that makes it all worthwhile.

nylexbandit

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Private schools buy sports stars all the time. My daughter was a very promising swimmer and several schools were falling over themselves to get hold of her. I worked as a teacher in a state school in a working class area for many years, we had a teacher who played Volleyball for Australia, she created a team that were state champions under her expert coaching. The following year Haileybury offered the entire Volleyball team scholarships and took the lot of them. Its no surprise that any promising young player gets picked up by private schools.
Team was from monbulk yeah? Was a weird period where a number of private schools poached volleyball players.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
As with all private schools they play for the school first and club or SANFL second, they need to meet their school commitments before any club

Yeah, but I doubt anyone in SA really considers school competition more important though. Certainly wasn't in my day anyway, 10-15 years ago.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Soprts Ovals? Alot of newer public schools such as Albert Park College and Mt Alexander college dont have any

Has nothing to do with that or the facilities the elite schools have, but more to do with AFL Coaches wanting vanilla footballers who will fit into the 'culture' of the AFL clubs. Anyone who has been to a public school and seen gifted footballers especially in low socio or country areas knows most of them get elevated to celebrity status within the school and devlop egos which clubs no longer want.. In the private school system the kids are kept in check and follow order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Has nothing to do with that or the facilities the elite schools have, but more to do with AFL Coaches wanting vanilla footballers who will fit into the 'culture' of the AFL clubs. Anyone who has been to a public school and seen gifted footballers especially in low socio or country areas knows most of them get elevated to celebrity status within the school and devlop egos which clubs no longer want.. In the private school system the kids are kept in check and follow order.

Interesting point.

I suppose if you're playing with a bunch of guys who've also been given scholarships, there is less standing out. There isn't a false perception about your talents because you've got 10-15 blokes on the team in the same boat.

SA_Hawker

Senior List
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When you get invited to the TAC program you are then hit up with fees. The more your willing to pay the better coaching and development you receive. Disgusting to think at this level that sort of thing can happen.
Did not know that, I was under the impression it was just like a local club
Different system over here in SA

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did not know that, I was under the impression it was just like a local club
Different system over here in SA

Yeah it's ridiculous. They have a pay scale more you pay the more one on one coaching sessions, weight sessions physio and so on.

It's hard for public schools to compete when the staff, unions and employers are resorting to this mentality

At least three schools are affected so far — Trinity Gardens, Paringa Park Primary and Magill — with parents receiving letters this week saying the Christmas plays have been moved from the evening to 10am so teachers do not have to attend after school.

a 9 to 5 mentality doesn't work in today's day and age.

Who loses? the kids
Why do schools exist? the kids

yet it's all about saving money vs I'm not working after hours

#wonderwhypublicschoolsarepathetic

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's hard for public schools to compete when the staff, unions and employers are resorting to this mentality

At least three schools are affected so far — Trinity Gardens, Paringa Park Primary and Magill — with parents receiving letters this week saying the Christmas plays have been moved from the evening to 10am so teachers do not have to attend after school.

Who loses? the kids

Interestingly, the 3 schools mentioned are in reasonably affluent areas. Trinity Gardens has a turf cricket pitch which is rare in public primary schools.

Who loses? the kids

Pay the teachers more and you won’t have to worry.

Pay the teachers more and you won’t have to worry.

yep.....I think I highlighted that

There needs to be a scrap of award pay and rather reward outcomes

it might cost more but it provides motivation to get the best out of teachers for the benefit of students; and
provides motivation for the dead wood and the under-performing to move on

let's not forget we aren't talking about low paid workers. given that's the case, we should set up an environment based on success rather protectionism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back