Pubs associated with Stadiums.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Port Club at Alberton Oval.

560816_410289092371544_1863892210_n.jpg

The Yarra Hotel, just across Johnston st to Victoria Park. Was originally used by players as their changing rooms. Now reborn as a live music venue

the-yarra-hotel13.jpg

The Great Northern Hotel near Princes park, still a Carlton stronghold.

Great-Northern-Out-Front.jpg

And Naughton's Hotel, also near Princes park, outside of which Kernahan performed his legendary rendition of "Stand By Your Man"

3340016315_82e5fa4dbd_z.jpg

lakes resort.png aami stadium.png

Lakes Resort Hotel for those that haven't been to the football in Adelaide. No idea which pubs will become favourite watering holes when the footy moves to the city next year.

Are there pubs near Skoda and Metricon for fans?

Not really aware of any, did hear something about GC using a golf club at one stage, that is close to the ground, at any rate i am working my way around the country, here, there and everywhere, and mainly traditional type country and city clubs/grounds/stadiums close to pubs that can be traced back to the football club.

My local team from Victoria - Rochester - was formed at a pub in 1874. Unfortunately, it was pulled down over 100 years ago. The town must've had over 100 pubs despite the population never rising over 4,000.

With an absence of meeting places, most of the clubs in that area would've been formed at pubs, which is pretty cool.

My local team from Victoria - Rochester - was formed at a pub in 1874. Unfortunately, it was pulled down over 100 years ago. The town must've had over 100 pubs despite the population never rising over 4,000.

With an absence of meeting places, most of the clubs in that area would've been formed at pubs, which is pretty cool.

A pretty endearing part of English and Aussie sporting culture, in my opinion. A genuine question, but how many US sports teams were formed in pubs? Or how were they formed?

Before a home game always have a beer at the Vic. When I'm in Melbourne ,The Corner before a MCG game or The Royal Melbourne before an Etihad game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Railway Hotel is still open, I think they are supposed to be renovating it or something.

EDIT: They did close it. I swear I was only there last year too.

If your going to Simonds Stadium you've got many options. Apologies for photo quality

1. Lord of the Isles, across the road on corner of West Fyans St and La Trobe Tce. Fairly sophisticated bistro while the bar is still a classic, great pub. Its where Geelong hold there famous mad monday's ever year.

images

2. Sawyers Arms (Clats)
Located across the road from KP on Noble St near La Trobe Tce intersection (next to the car wash). More popular with 35 yo+ age demographic, it's a good, solid pub.
Sawyers%20Arms%201.jpg

3. Cremorne Hotel
GREAT pub. More of a walk than the above 2 but combines a bit of a stylish feel with great pub atmosphere. Located on corner of Pakington St and Russell St, you can walk along the latter directly to the ground. If you happen to be there on a Monday/Tuesday get there for Parmi Day.
Newtown_Cremorne_Hotel.JPG

4. Club Cats
Located inside the ground with a nice bistro. Fairly pricey though
34571225951061homeImage.jpg

5. Barwon Club
Haven't been here much, apparently bit more of a rural feel. Bit more of a walk but not as far as the Cremorne, located on Moorabool St towards the Barwon River next to Faggs Mitre 10.
185702-16052-14.jpg

And if your up for a bit more of a walk/drive

Gold Diggers Arms located on Skene St in Newtown is a fantastic pub. Usually packed on saturday night does a great parmi, steak or more or less anything on the menu. Bar's got arguably the best atmosphere in Geelong while the bistro is more sophisticated, about a 20-30m walk from KP or a 5 minute drive.

The Sporting Globe on Ryrie St is the best pub for sport in Geelong. Does a good feed with cheapish drinks and has many different tvs to watch sport on. About a 20-30m walk from KP or anywhere between a 2-10 minute drive depending on traffic lights.

Barwon Club
Haven't been here much, apparently bit more of a rural feel. Bit more of a walk but not as far as the Cremorne, located on Moorabool St towards the Barwon River next to Faggs Mitre 10.
185702-16052-14.jpg

I went for a schooner here. And I say schooner because that's a glowing endorsement on a pub – the perfect measurement. Pretty cheap, absolutely packed, and with plenty of well-natured jibes and anti-Freo jabs. Good pub but definitely pretty country feeling.

I went for a schooner here. And I say schooner because that's a glowing endorsement on a pub – the perfect measurement. Pretty cheap, absolutely packed, and with plenty of well-natured jibes and anti-Freo jabs. Good pub but definitely pretty country feeling.
Yeah didn't mean 'rural feel' as a insult to the pub at all, most good pubs are country pubs! :thumbsu:

Very nice, :thumbsu: but on my thread you must supply a half decent photo of Kardinia park to compliment your great pubs, i have taken it upon myself to do so.

Go Cats :)

main.php

just out of interest what is the ground behind Kardinia Park there ?.
What a rookie mistake by me :D cheers for picking up the slack!
To the top is St.Marys Oval, used by St.Marys football club in the GFL. To the right is Geelong Cricket Ground, used by Geelong Cricket Club in the Victorian Premier League. Also occasionally hosts state women's cricket.

Have to agree, i am a schooner man, pint is to big and may get warm, middie, or pony, or glass is to small, and from experience the schooner glasses seem to provide a better head than pint glasses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back