Pubs associated with Stadiums.

Remove this Banner Ad

This photo is so Collingwood (even though it's Abbotsford!). Reminds me of walking home through Smith Street after uni, sun peering through everything. Always liked being alive those afternoons. The best part of Australia.

Most of the pubs down near Vic Park are kind of scummy now. I don't know if you'd call in there for a night because they seem pretty grungey still. Places like the Tote are awesome, though.

This photo is so Collingwood (even though it's Abbotsford!). Reminds me of walking home through Smith Street after uni, sun peering through everything. Always liked being alive those afternoons. The best part of Australia.

Most of the pubs down near Vic Park are kind of scummy now. I don't know if you'd call in there for a night because they seem pretty grungey still. Places like the Tote are awesome, though.

A bit harsh ;) , the Yarra FWIU is now a music venue owned by a ex SANFL player, and on the up, the last time i was at the Retreat, it seemed to be a venue where plenty of newlyweds dropped in for a drink after a wedding, although absolutely tiny inside, but front bar was pretty cool, and if you want original toilets, the retreat has them ( although they were clean)

Couple of backpacker pubs on Johnston though, so sort of agree there.

The Yarra did feature of all places on the Marngrook Footy show.

http://marngrookfootyshow.com.au/2013/04/05/pies-first-changerooms/

Victoria Park in its heyday with 30 or 40 pubs and more within walking distance would have been a sight to behold on saturday afternoons. :thumbsu:

Going to hunt up more photos of pubs close by soon.

Victoria Park part 2

Ticket Box, great overlay

vic-park-turnstiles-combined.jpg

Pretty sure that is the old Victoria Park Primary School in the background.

vic_park_1.jpg

View you sort of get from the Train

18b7a4821e1b619bd03067b34e931cf4_resized.JPG

Abbotsford Hotel, now demolished, but pretty well opposite the Yarra, so even closer to Vic Park.

images

Leinster Arms
350x350-Leinster%20Arms%20%2347.jpg

Park Hotel

350x350-Park%20%2358%20c.1860s.jpg

350x350-Park%20%2358.jpg

The majestic Carringbush

carringbush01.jpg

Laird O,Cockpen
350x350-Laird%20O%27Cockpen%20%2346.jpg

Good Head, :) might have changed names recently
350x350-Opium%20Den%20%28frmr%20Morning%20Star%29%20%2353.jpg

The Gem
350x350-Curry%27s%20or%20The%20Gem%20%2327.jpg

Robert Burns

350x350-Robert%20Burns%20%2364.jpg

All these pubs and more are within around 10 minutes walk to Vic Park, absolutely amazing. and i have not finished yet.

Laird O,Cockpen
350x350-Laird%20O%27Cockpen%20%2346.jpg

Would be fascinating to see how "the Vic Park footy crowds of old" would feel about walking into the Laird these days :D

Anyone got any good shots of the old Brunswick Street Oval and its "feeder" pub, The Lord Newry from the 60s or earlier?

Not too far from the MCG...not sure if the front is still covered by roadworks stuff

All Nations Hotel, Lennox St

e32f8e5a_zps120d8f44.jpg

Last edited:
Not too far from the MCG...not sure if the front is still covered by roadworks stuff

All Nations Hotel, Lennox St

e32f8e5a.jpg

Can't lose with the All Nations, perfect for a beer to potentiate your hit after a stressful trip to the flats across the road to pick up your smack :p

Would be fascinating to see how "the Vic Park footy crowds of old" would feel about walking into the Laird these days :D

Anyone got any good shots of the old Brunswick Street Oval and its "feeder" pub, The Lord Newry from the 60s or earlier?

Takes all kinds, good luck, not a fan myself, but at the end of the day without a decent gay crowd, quite a lot more of these grand old pubs would have closed down.

Will do Brunswick St oval eventually, Fitzroy pubs could take a while as well.

More pubs per square inch in Fitzroy than anywhere else in Australia.

Can't lose with the All Nations, perfect for a beer to potentiate your hit after a stressful trip to the flats across the road to pick up your smack :p

Surely you are talking 70, 80, 90's here, these days meth is the go.

Smack addicts can be in their 60's these days, if they have managed to stay alive from the halcyon days of heroin in the 70's.

Surely you are talking 70, 80, 90's here, these days meth is the go.

Smack addicts can be in their 60's these days, if they have managed to stay alive from the halcyon days of heroin in the 70's.

Overall yeah the shard is king nowadays, but Victoria Street and the surrounds the smack still reigns supreme, not quite like stepping back into 1990s Smith Street or Springvale Road, but still pretty visible.

Overall yeah the shard is king nowadays, but Victoria Street and the surrounds the smack still reigns supreme, not quite like stepping back into 1990s Smith Street or Springvale Road, but still pretty visible.

Ok, don't have a great handle on drug culture these days, but FWIU drug culture has changed 180 degrees, from a laid back relatively peaceful culture of grass and even smack to a aggressive, in your face culture of meth.

I actually remember going to the Uni bar at ANU ( Canberra ) where a ounce of weed would be raffled off in the late 1970's on friday nights ( i was a underage attendee :) ) makes you wonder what they raffle off these days.

And IMO what goes out of fashion will eventually come back in.

Vic Park part 3.

victoria-park2.jpg

Pubs probably still within 10 to 15 minutes walk from Vic park.

Gasometer Hotel

350x350-Gasometer%20%2331.jpg

Punters Palace

350x350-Albion%20-%20Punters%20Palace%20%232.jpg

Royal Hotel - now closed

350x350-Royal%20%28Coll%27d%29%20%2366%20%28current%20site%29.jpg

The Phoenix - now closed
350x350-Phoenix%20%2359.jpg

Norfolk - now closed

450x450-GN1021.jpg

Glasshouse Hotel
350x350-Glasshouse%20%2333.jpg

Cambridge Arms - now closed

450x450-GN1019.jpg

Star hotel AFAIK, now closed.
350x350-Star%20%2377.jpg

Flying squadron Hotel- now closed, very close to Grace Darling.

300x300-Flying%20Squadron%20%2311.jpg

300x300-Brandon%20%2311.jpg

British Crown

350x350-British%20Crown%20%2374.jpg

Prince Patrick

350x350-Prince%20Patrick%20%23%2061.jpg

Sir John Franklin - now closed
350x350-Sir%20John%20Franklin%20%2372.jpg

Baden Powell, previously the New Bendigo Hotel

450x450-GN1033.jpg

350x350-Baden%20Powell%20%235.jpg

Will finish up here, but i may do a Vic Park part 4 if i get the urge, quite a lot more to do actually

There are still plenty of bars to do on Smith Street as well. I don't think I'll ever get around to every place around here. The Gaso is alright, I go to gigs there a bit, but the beers on tap are expensive and mostly pretty s**t. Avoid.

The Star Hotel is closed, but I always wish it was still operational – it's in such a nice street.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably should throw in a photo of the Ocean Beach Hotel in Cottesloe, originally Claremont FC was known as Cottesloe Beach Football club and the OBH was the place for a 1921 AGM.

Dropped in for a beer and a bet on friday ...... very nice :), actually has a sort of country feel to it, a old dog was wandering around inside.

cottesloe-beach-hotel-02.jpg

Canberra , and i guess Manuka Oval would be the obvious.

TVE-6_banner.jpg

manuka3.jpg

On one side of Manuka Oval, Eastlake FC lived and on the other Manuka FC lived, both quite strong clubs, however in 1991 Manuka merged with Eastlake, notable players from Manuka include Ian Low and Adrian Barich, notable Eastlake players include Jezza, Craig Bolton and Nathan Clarke.

The Eastlake FC are quite well off and have a very substantial leagues club style operation, and 3 clubs spread across Canberra however since their beginnings in the 1920's they have had fundraisers, dances etc at the Kingston Hotel.

kingo-left.jpg

The 'Kingo' was one of Canberra's original watering holes, and still is very popular.

Actually, according to old Albany newspapers on trove, the meetings to establish the Albany Football clubs were held at Royal George , London and Freemasons Hotels ( now demolished).

But interestingly, according to the photo i took recently, The London Hotel has a date of 1909 on it, perhaps it was renovated in that year.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/69898290?searchTerm=albany football &searchLimits=l-title=175|||sortby=dateAsc

Surreal to be scrolling through this thread and seeing Collingwood Park up there! I grew up in the joint and played footy for North Albany. I spent a fair few footy and soccer trainings at the place, and the surface is still probably the nicest I've played on – some piss-funny stories about the groundsman there...

Railways has to be the shittest ground I've played on. Or as bad as some perma-dead ones up in Perth. It is tiny so that was always good, but the changerooms and club rooms are appalling – really embarrassing and a serious indictment on Albs' sports facilities. I don't think I ever played a decent game there, either.

I guess it's hard to fairly judge the place considering how I busting to leave by 15, but the architecture in Albany... some of it is really quite nice. It's one of the assets the place has.

I've actually been to a fair portion of these pubs as well.

Last edited:
Surreal to be scrolling through this thread and seeing Collingwood Park up there! I grew up in the joint and played footy for North Albany. I spent a fair few footy and soccer trainings at the place, and the surface is still probably the nicest I've played on – some piss-funny stories about the groundsman there...

Railways has to be the shittest ground I've played on. Or as bad as some perma-dead ones up in Perth. It is tiny so that was always good, but the changerooms and club rooms are appalling – really embarrassing and a serious indictment on Albs' sports facilities. I don't think I ever played a decent game there, either.

I guess it's hard to fairly judge the place considering how I busting to leave by 15, but the architecture in Albany... some of it is really quite nice. It's one of the assets the place has.

I've actually been to a fair portion of these pubs as well. What you get spending heaps of time between Melbourne, Albany, and south of Swan River.

Yes, love the architecture, i will be back there around January for work, and i will have some more time to investigate some more football clubs/grounds and pubs.

The photos took me all of about 1/2 a hour, on my not so great phone, next time i will be using a camera, and uploading straight away.

You probably paid $40 for a steak and $12 for a beer.

Surf and turf was around $38 (from memory), beers were a bit cheaper, but we are not talking Melbourne prices here, WA is over the top, anyway i don't complain when i snag a roughie that pays for it all. :)

Vic Park/Collingwood part 4.

The amount of pubs, and ex pubs around Collingwood, continues to astound me, would have been a fantastic sight to see, when every corner had a grand old pub on it, and many intersections had 2 or even 3 pubs, all within 10 to 15 minutes walk from Vic Park.

Ayrshire Arms - delicensed 1908 in Palmer St
350x350-Ayrshire%20Arms%20%234.jpg

Barnards Hotel -delicensed 1914 in Peel st

350x350-Barnards%20%237.jpg

Bristol and Bath Hotel ... now a Bordello in Cromwell St

350x350-Bristol%20%26%20Bath%20%2312.jpg

Carter Arms Hotel - delicensed 1914 due to larrikin/Push ( gang) element - Gold St

350x350-Carter%27s%20Arms%20%2317.jpg

Commercial Hotel - Smith St delicensed: 1919

350x350-Commercial%20%2321.jpg

Another link showing Commercial Hotel in 1887

http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/site/yarra_melbourne/Collingwood/9473.html

Council Club Hotel Johnston St - delicensed 1936
350x350-Council%20Hotel%20%2323.jpg

Another shot of the Council Club Hotel

450x450-GN1024.jpg

Criterion Hotel/Galloway Arms- delicensed 1914 - Johnston St

350x350-Criterion%20-%20former%20Galloway%20Arms%20%2324.jpg

George Hotel - Johnston St- delicensed 1914

350x350-George%20%2332.jpg

1906 looking down Johnston St - George hotel on Right, nearly directly opposite Council Club Hotel ( 2 posts above )

544.jpg

Kalgoolie Hotel/Macs Hotel -demolished 2009- delicensed 1918- Smith St

350x350-Kalgoorlie%20-%20Mac%27s%20demolition%20%2345.jpg

pi002907.jpg

Hotel on the left (Macs Hotel) with Carlton Ale written on it.
557.jpg

Limerick Castle/Engineers Arms ( Toninis) Delicensed 1914- Johnston St - demolished

photo taken in 1912

593.jpg

Massies Hotel -Wellington St- delicensed 1908- demolished
450x450-GN1031.jpg

Norfolk Hotel -Easy St- demolished- delicensed 1908

450x450-GN1021.jpg

Will finish here, will need a Collingwood part 5, also may mention many hotels have been demolished in the area, but as yet no photos have been found, i have only put up hotels that have existing photos of them, although i have no doubt they exist somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back