Pune 2017 - Where does it rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

bring A Agar in for M Marsh , two lefties going at all there right hander's
certainly bats as good ( even if he get 0 ) slight change to the tail
When NSW V WA shield game in Sydney this season okeefe got 8 wkts and Agar got 10 wks (.should have been more but NSW hang on for a draw 7/96)

It was interesting Shastri said he watched Agar bowl for the first time in the nets during the day 2 morning warmup before we bowled to them and said he looked absolutely awesome, because of the bounce he was getting from his height. Said he looked the pick of all the spinners.

I wouldn't be apposed to using him in place of Marsh if another bunsen is served.

Sensational Test.

South Africa 2014 also springs to mind. Overseas wins against quality opposition are so much more satisfying.

An 18 year old Cummins ripping Kallis to pieces was fantastic.

Mmmm anyone got anymore stat-pr0n from this game?

SOK best ever figures from a touring spinner in India was another.

My favourite:

Shane Warne BBM: 12/128
SOK BBM: 12/70

This is the best win in 25 years - India was going for the world record of consecutive wins. Kohli's last 4 tests he scored double centurys. We lost to Sri lanka in previous series. Lots of young unproven players in the side. Just the way we bossed them around at home, Starc teeing off to get us to a good total. Collapses after Kohli's wicket in the 1st innings. Heaps of dropped catches. Smith's 100. Another huge collapse. SOK 12-fer. Finish 3 days. 330 run win. The last 2 days best purple patch for all Aussie supporters. Hopefully we gain momentum from this and White wash them at home. Then next series White wash them in Australia. That will take their supporters some time to get over.

He'd just offer a pressure release and a way for them to score runs and stay in the game.

No need to change the bowling line-up IMO.

Was only being half serious. No chance Hazelwood gets dropped but he was not really required much this pitch. Similarly Sharma was surplus for India on this pitch. However if Swepson gets a chance on pitches like this have no doubt he will be a handful too.

I am just curious how India now approach rest of the series, given our spinners will be a concern in their mind now.

We were certainly considered a better side in 95 than we were going into this test, but without McDermott we had a then fairly green pace attack of McGrath, Rieffel and Julian. We had warney too but it was the pace attack which did it for us, McGrath's coming of age series.

I rate that one of our most memorable series wins since I've been following cricket (from 1990).
I could be wrong but pretty sure it was McDermott and Fleming that both went down and had to go home. I basically remember giving up at that point in real hope for the series. Have to play Julian I felt sure was too much to expect would go well. Incredibly it did. Best feeling ever when we won that series.

Best win since the Phillip Hughes Test in Adelaide a few years ago. A team that wasn't in great shape anyway, led by a captain seemingly at war with the board, playing under the shadow of a terrible tragedy, won a Test that coming into the last session all three results were possible.

I like that you've thought outside the box but those off-field issues aside it was a match they'd have been expected to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ones that stick out to me, when you factor in relative strength of squads, venue, expectations etc are:

Sabina Park 1995 where the Waughs basically tipped the balance of cricket power to Australia. Against a superpower, fairly young side and few established champions.

First test in India in 2001. Yeah Australia were number one but India had a very powerful side, two champion bowlers in Harbhajan and Kumble, and on the back of Hayden and Gilchrist Australia come out and smack them by 10 wickets.

The third test of the last series in SA. Can't even remember where it was, but after Steyn got SA home in the second test at Port Elizabeth it looked like they might surge back and either draw or win a series at home against Australia finally. Johnson breathed fire and I think sent Smith and Kallis from the field at different times. Then De Villiers settled in for a classic block fest before Harris' creaking knees dragged them over the line.

Haven't read through the whole thread, I'm sure Hobart 99 and Adelaide 2006 might get a mention but in reality Australia were strong favourites before both those games and it was only the match situations that made them remarkable.

When was the last time spinners took all ten wickets for Australia? Has it happened ever? Would it go back to Clarrie Grimmet + someone if it has been done?

SCG for sure against West Indies when Peter Taylor, Trevor Hohns and Allan Border got all the wickets.

988-1989 Frank Worrell Trophy - 4th Test - Sydney
Start Date: 26th January, 1989 Printable Scorecard
Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
Toss: West Indies
Result: Australia won by 7 wickets
Player of Match: A R Border
Video Clips: View video clips for this Match

West Indies 1st Innings R BF 4s 6s SR
C G Greenidge c Waugh b P L Taylor 56 135 8 0 41.48
D L Haynes c Boon b Hohns 75 217 9 0 34.56
R B Richardson c P L Taylor b Border 28 56 5 0 50.00
C L Hooper c Marsh b Border 0 7 0 0 0.00
I V A Richards* c Boon b Border 11 19 2 0 57.89
A L Logie b Border 0 5 0 0 0.00
P J L Dujon† c Hughes b Border 18 47 2 0 38.30
R A Harper c P L Taylor b Border 17 64 2 0 26.56
M D Marshall c Marsh b Border 9 21 1 0 42.86
C E L Ambrose c Jones b P L Taylor 1 19 0 0 5.26
C A Walsh not out 4 11 1 0 36.36
Extras (b 1, w 1, nb 3) 5
Total All Out (99.2 overs @ 2.26 rpo) 224

Fall of Wickets
1-90 (Greenidge) 2-144 (Richardson) 3-156 (Hooper) 4-174 (Richards)
5-174 (Haynes) 6-174 (Logie) 7-199 (Dujon) 8-213 (Harper)
9-220 (Marshall) 10-224 (Ambrose)

Bowling O M R W ER
T M Alderman 10 2 17 0 1.70
M G Hughes 10 3 28 0 2.80
P L Taylor 25 .2 8 65 2 2.57
T V Hohns 24 8 49 1 2.04
A R Border 26 10 46 7 1.77
S R Waugh 4 0 18 0 4.50

The ones that stick out to me, when you factor in relative strength of squads, venue, expectations etc are:

Sabina Park 1995 where the Waughs basically tipped the balance of cricket power to Australia. Against a superpower, fairly young side and few established champions.

First test in India in 2001. Yeah Australia were number one but India had a very powerful side, two champion bowlers in Harbhajan and Kumble, and on the back of Hayden and Gilchrist Australia come out and smack them by 10 wickets.

The third test of the last series in SA. Can't even remember where it was, but after Steyn got SA home in the second test at Port Elizabeth it looked like they might surge back and either draw or win a series at home against Australia finally. Johnson breathed fire and I think sent Smith and Kallis from the field at different times. Then De Villiers settled in for a classic block fest before Harris' creaking knees dragged them over the line.

Haven't read through the whole thread, I'm sure Hobart 99 and Adelaide 2006 might get a mention but in reality Australia were strong favourites before both those games and it was only the match situations that made them remarkable.

Actually in the 2001 series we were favoured to win. Harbhajan was a fringe player at that time whereas Kumble were injured. Meanwhile, we had won 15 in a row and had just bludgeoned India in Mumbai. Then Harbhajan, Dravid, Laxman and Sachin combined to win the last Two, with Harbhajan taking 32 wickets in 3 Test matches.

You're confusing the 2008/09 and 2013/14 series a touch. It was in 2008/09 that he wreaked such havok that Smith and Kallis suffered serious injuries.

Actually in the 2001 series we were favoured to win. Harbhajan was a fringe player at that time whereas Kumble were injured. Meanwhile, we had won 15 in a row and had just bludgeoned India in Mumbai. Then Harbhajan, Dravid, Laxman and Sachin combined to win the last Two, with Harbhajan taking 32 wickets in 3 Test matches.

You're confusing the 2008/09 and 2013/14 series a touch. It was in 2008/09 that he wreaked such havok that Smith and Kallis suffered serious injuries.

I never said we were raging underdogs. But we'd taken a good side in 98 and got walloped. Gilchrist had only been in the side 18 months and from memory hadn't done much damage overseas. Hayden wasn't established, Slater was falling to pieces around that stage too wasn't he? I think that was the series where he gave Dravid an almighty spray. On paper I'd have picked India to win or square that series (which they did anyway) even allowing for the fact that Laxman, who played such a key role in the eventual result, wasn't a fully established player.

My bad re. SA - had it in my head that he did it in that third test but my mind is playing tricks on me.

1997 we are playing South Africa at Port Elizabeth.
We won the 1st Test in a 3 Test series.
I am excited watching when Dizzy takes 5 wickets and they are all out for 209.
Totally deflated deep into 2nd day when we are all out for 108
At Stumps on day 2, South Africa 0 for 83 with all wickets still in tact and a lead of 184.
On the 4th day totally elated with winning series 2-0 with Mark Waugh brilliant 116 helping us get home by 2 wickets.

Johnson was at his most brutal in the first test of that last series in SA, that 7 for in the first dig at centurion was more vicious than anything from the ashes that preceded it, jut had a quick watch again and s**t the balls that dismissed smith du plessis ect were as brutal as it gets.

p.s. have to add that 91 ab made in that dig was just as special.

Sensational Test.

South Africa 2014 also springs to mind. Overseas wins against quality opposition are so much more satisfying.

Brilliant suggestion - I thank you for making me think of that 3rd test in Cape Town again! I've just queued it up to watch the highlights on youtube tomorrow.

I know Clarke was an unpopular player, but I always held a higher opinion of him than most after that 160-ish he scored while taking an absolute ******* beating from South Africa's bowlers. Then that spell that Harris bowled when it looked like it was heading towards a draw...

That series result was probably as big of an upset as this result in India, but had that amazing sense of drama that this weeks test didn't come close to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back