Punishing the winners...

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Anyone hear the story in the papers that the FIA are planning on putting in penalties for those drivers who have too big a lead in the F1 championship?

Apparently Mr Ecclestone is unhappy with Schumachers dominance and wants to put weights into his car if he starts winning again next year.

So basically they're punishing drivers and teams for being good! WTF? I know F1 is boring if only Ferrari win constantly, but by introducing such rules they will discourage teams from developing their cars.

Surely something else can be introduced? Such as a spending limit (like the AFL salary cap), introduce a new set of car rules introduced yearly that will force manufacturers to start from scratch and hence eliminate huge advantages seasonally, distribute sponsorship money more evenly so the poorer teams have bigger budgets, etc.

It won't happen. There is no way the teams will agree to a rule that is such a punishment on success.

Certainly I think there will be changes to testing, qualifying and maybe number of engines allowed, but some of the rules proposed by Mosley are absurd.

I think they are worrying about the wrong thing anyway. Ferrari will come back to the field today - just like McLaren did in the late 80's and Williams in the early 90's.

The bigger concern is the smaller teams falling over and been unable to even enter, let alone be competative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back