Punk music

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm on a drunken punk roll, I would like to propose that this is theoretically the greatest punk song every written.

It has it all: strong, accurate philosophical message; fast angry lyrics; great drums; wall of noise guitar and not 1 second longer than it should be.

[YOUTUBE]EYS73ndW0SU[/YOUTUBE]

Just in case you missed it....

work, work, work it's a lot of jive never gonna
work 9 to 5 tell mr. bossman i said goodbye never
gonna work another day in my life i hate work,
yeah i do i hate work, and you should to i hate
work, ain't no clerk i hate work, ain't no jerk
never gonna work in a factory or sweat my life in
misery work like that never meant to be work like
that is not for me

chorus

work work work away
years of your life work work work never see
your wife work work work sweat and tears work work
work lost my years

chorus

we're not gonna work
in your crummy jobs we're not gonna fight in your
stinkin' wars we're not gonna vote in your phony
elections take a good look we're your reflection

chorus

I haven't seen them since Ian passed away but will still go to pay my respects. My fourth ever show I played live was on a bill with the Powder Monkeys, X and the Sunset Strip at the (pre-yuppified) Prince of Wales. Safe to say we'll never see gigs like that ever again.

Great line-up! Unfortunately I never got to see the Powder Monkeys, another talent gone too young.

Well.. I guess that is rather explicit...

Can't say I would have been able to quote any lyrics post 'Searching for a former clarity' because I never purchased any albums after that one...

Obviously (s)he has been struggling with this issue for quite a while.. reading between the lines, it probably shouldn't come as a major suprise

edit: I must say, I approve your Tim & Eric based avatar and your Dr Steve Brule inspired signature:thumbsu:

I don't mind Against Me!'s newer stuff and I'm a pretty big fan but I don't really read up on their personal lives or interviews so it's still a big shock to me. Even after hearing that line, which I thought was just a bit of a whimsical song.

For those a fan of 90s punk rock (pop punk if you wish) a documentary called One Nine Nine Four (1994) is (or was) up on youtube in full. Made by an Australian it's pretty cool, talks of the time when punk rock was pretty big on the radio when Green Day, Offspring, Blink 182 all exploded. Interviews with members of Blink, Offpsring, Bad Religion, NoFX, Pennywise, Rancid and lots more.

I know it's cool to hate on Blink 182, Green Day, Offspring but most of us got into punk music from these bands, not from seeing Black Flag at someone's house. I'm not much of a Green Day fan anymore but them and Offspring got me into punk rock, without them I wouldn't be listening to my favourite bands like Bad Religion and Propagandhi.

Of the more modern punk generation, some of the bands that I listed to were NOFX, NUFAN, Guttermouth amongst many. Punk today is bleh..

Weather is finally warm again. good opportunity to get on the piss and rumage through the old punk vinyl collection.

Listened to this two gems for the first time in years, decades maybe.

good to see UFC fighter DaN Hardy strut out to this classic the other night.

Oi Oi!

6 out of 10 for the first one, 8.9 for the second.

I have a sore throat right now and the first video made it hurt more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ Oh yeah, Abrasive Wheels is a good one. Also UK Subs, Varukers, Exploited & Chaos UK for that UK82 sound

I prefer stuff like Amebix, Axegrinder and Antisect though

Broken Bones is decent too venturing into crossover territory on a couple of albums. No shortage of UK punk bands, in fact it seems like 80s was a great time for UK music in general with NWOBHM too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back