Punk! Punk! Punk!

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call:thumbsu:.
But it was always just The Leftovers. I think a couple of blogs call them The F*ckin' Leftovers to differentiate them from other bands of the same name. They rubber stamped on their single, Cigarettes and Alcohol, "The F*ckin' Leftovers hate you". I have the original single.

Nice item. That would be VERY rare these days.
Dogmeat Records did a CD which featured 5 studio tracks and 13 live tracks simply called THE F+CKEN LEFTOVERS HATE YOU. Well worth tracking down if you can find it.

Machine Gun Etiquette (3rd album) was imo by far the best Damned. A little more experimental than the 2 before, but still some great punk numbers like MGE, Love Song, Smash It Up, Melody Lee. But I think the best song from that album is Plan 9 Channel 7.

It's my favourite Damned album as well but just not "strictly punk". In the same way that London Calling by The Clash isn't. That's IMO of course.

Sex Pistols - still good for a laugh
Anti nowhere league - seen em twice - just luv em
The Ramones
The clash
SLF
Blitz
Exploited
The Skids - 1st lp
Early Jam
Chaotic Discord
The saints
Generation x
minor threat
Buzzcocks (never get sick of em)

...more i cant think of right now

Saw sham 69 the other week - they had some good songs but the business were better at the gig so now trying to find some of there stuff.

Saw sham 69 the other week - they had some good songs but the business were better at the gig so now trying to find some of there stuff.

Hey raticus - If you are chasing The Business - all their stuff (including rarities) is available from Captain Oi - They are pretty quick at sending out the CDs - you should get em within a week.

Cheers

http://www.captainoi.com/

John, thanks for the info on the Leftovers. I picked up the CD that came out on Dropkick Records - brutal stuff but a great sense of rock n roll all the same. Here's a few more names I thought of (some are hopelessly obscure I'll admit):

The News
The Babiez
The Psycho Surgeons
Fear
The Foreign Objects
The Real Kids
The Fun Things
Antiseen
Sonic's Rendevous Band

and some pre-punk bands:

MC5
Pink Fairies
Lobby Lloyd and the Coloured Balls

Could also mount a strong argument for Alice Cooper and Blue Oyster Cult as pre-punk rock. Mainstream metal bands who had a huge influence on punk.

great thread also add

Slaughter and the Dogs
and
The Boys

The Babeez became the News I remeber seeing Graffiti advertising gigs on tram stops along Mt A road unfortunately never heard them, i dont think they ever got to record but im still keen to hear waht they were like

cheers

Well i suppose mine dont count but
Frenzal Rhomb
The Meanies
Bad Religion
NOFX
Dropkick Murphys
Descendents
Dead Kennedys
Pennywise (altho last 4 albums have been shite)
propagandhi
what ive heard of leftover crack, choking vitim etc is decent
strung out
the damned
stiff little fingers

there's more, but i couldnt be bothered right now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've pretty much passed my punk phase but I still enjoy 80's/80's inspired hardcore punk. I'd suggest:

• 7Seconds
    GBH
    TSOL
    (old) AFI
    Shelter
    Rudimentary Peni
    Gorilla Biscuits
    Cro-Mags
    The Vandals
    Beastie Boys (Aglio e Olio)
    Dropkick Murphys
    The Business
    Youth Brigade

Or if you want something faster/heavier

• Youth of Today/Better than a thousand
    Judge
    Floorpunch
    Minor Threat
    SSD
    Disrupt
    Siege
    Wolfpack/Wolfbrigade
    Charles Bronson
    Spazz
    Faith/Void
    MDC

Hopefully you can find something you like out of those.

I've pretty much passed my punk phase but I still enjoy 80's/80's inspired hardcore punk. I'd suggest:

• 7Seconds
    GBH
    TSOL
    (old) AFI
    Shelter
    Rudimentary Peni
    Gorilla Biscuits
    Cro-Mags
    The Vandals
    Beastie Boys (Aglio e Olio)
    Dropkick Murphys
    The Business
    Youth Brigade

Or if you want something faster/heavier

• Youth of Today/Better than a thousand
    Judge
    Floorpunch
    Minor Threat
    SSD
    Disrupt
    Siege
    Wolfpack/Wolfbrigade
    Charles Bronson
    Spazz
    Faith/Void
    MDC
Hopefully you can find something you like out of those.

Cool s**t right there. Gang Green also one o my faves, alot of their stuff is pretty unspectacular but "Alcohol" is without doubt the best song ever written of all time. Ever.

Are Bad Religion considered pop-punk?

No they're not... The op is sniffing glue if he considers Bad Religion pop. They're punk through and through. Their two records Suffer 1988 and No Control 1989 are considered landmark punk albums.

Since we're all listing our fave bands here are mine:

Basically punk is by far my favourite genre so I could name quite a few, so I've tried to keep it relatively short. I have to say that for me 80s hardcore was when punk was at its zenith. The 80s bands really leave acts like the Sex Pistols (overrated) and Ramones in the dust and I'm a Ramones fan.

80s Hardcore
Bad Brains- Not sure if anyone else has listed them yet but they're a freaking awesome band. Technically brilliant and faster than the Millenium Falcon.. Their debut self titled LP is a masterpiece

Minor Threat- Ian Mackaye is one of my heroes

Black Flag- No band better epitomises what's great about hardcore- The DIY work ethic, the independence from mainstream and the goddamn balls they put into their tunes. Love both Pre Rollins and Post Rollins. Rollins was definitely the best BF singer.

Gorilla Biscuits
Misfits
Flipper
Dead Kennedys

Punk today
The Bronx- Best punk band in the world right now. Seen these blokes twice and they're amazing live. Singer Matt Caughthran is a freak of nature.

Modern Life is War- The best hardcore band of the last few years. Hardcore got pretty boring in the late 90s. These guys breathed new life into the genre. Broke up last year, but all three of their albums are killer. Get their LP My Love My Way.

Lifelong Tragedy

Have Heart- Awesome boston hardcore band. Playing this Saturday at the Arty. Gonna be intense. Sadly they're breaking up in a few months. Still great but

Verse- Was never a massive fan but I saw them back in January and they knocked me out. Really good, unfortunately they broke up last month.

F*cked Up- One of the most interesting bands to come around in a long, long time. The only band I've heard to play epic 8 minute songs with hardcore intensity. Unique

Australian bands

Hopeless- Really young band. Just put out their debut LP. It's awesome and this band seems set for big things.

Carpathian- I love their last LP, Isolation. It's one of the best punk albums to come from this country. However they're live shows haven't really impressed me. Seeing them this Saturday, hopefully they turn the tide.

Break Even- Great Perth band. Awesome fun live. New LP due in a few months. Has the knack for bringing chicks to shows.

A Secret Death- these guys are incredible. I have to admit they're not exactly punk; they play a blend of prog-rock hardcore. Very technical. Mindblowing live.

I'm spent for now...

Happy to write more later if anyone's vaguely interested...

I grew up a huge SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES fan. While by the end of their career they had moved along way from their 'punk' roots, their first album, THE SCREAM, is still consider one of the best punk albums of the 70's.

Amebix (I consider them the best crust punk band to ever exist, recently reformed and touring)

Anti-Cimex (Very good hardcore)

Antisect (Began as Anarcho punk and later went on to pioneer crust with the release of 'Out From The Void')

Aus Rotten (Highly influential Anarcho band with many good messages about racism and sexism)

Caustic Christ (Made up of several ex Aus Rotten members, similar sound)

Conflict (Another extremely influential Anarcho band. Similar to Crass in sound and the messages they tried to get out)

Cro Mags (Just fun hardcore. Early stuff is great)

Discharge (Were the best hardcore/D-beat band of their time until Cal went all hair metal. Still touring with Varukers singer Rat on vocals)

Disclose (Highly influenced by Discharge. Unfortunately their singer died several years ago)

Doom (Great crust punk band from the UK)

Extinction of Mankind (Anarcho/Crusty sorta band with a fairly heavy sound)

Heresy (Good old fashioned hardcore)

Los Crudos (Latino hardcore. Each song is in Spanish. Very good)

Pisschrist (Good Aussie hardcore)

Poison Idea (See Heresy)

Resist and Exist (Similar to Aus Rotten with less of a heavy sound but very strong messages)

Tutti Parze (Good Aussie Crust. Recently reformed I believe)

The Varukers (Old fashioned punk/hardcore)

Just to name a few I like.

Been listening to The Adverts and The Skids quite a bit lately.

Both of whom don't as much of a mention as they should when old punk is raised.

I also like 999 who don't seem to have gotten a mention as yet in the thread.

Been listening to The Adverts and The Skids quite a bit lately.

Both of whom don't as much of a mention as they should when old punk is raised.

I also like 999 who don't seem to have gotten a mention as yet in the thread.

Without getting too much into the "what is punk arguement" ;)

(UK)
The Clash (First 2 LPS)
The Damned (First LP - 2nd LP was a shocker - 3rd LP Wasn't really punk)
The Pistols (Bollocks is still a classic)
The Adverts
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks
Magazine (first couple)

OZ
The Saints (first 3 LPs)
Razar
The Victims
X
The Scientists (early stuff)

US
The Ramones
Dead kennedys
Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers

I like plenty of bands from that era but these are the main ones I consider Punk. Not Post- Punk, Post-Punk Pre-New Wave, Mod Punk but not New Wave, New Wave but not New Wave enough to have once been Punk, signed to a punk label but not really punk, were sort of punk once but now are just new rock etc...:D

From Page One ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back