Punk! Punk! Punk!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sid could play... well, he knew what he needed to know. :)

1. Heavy drug user. (hehe maybe that helped) :)
2. VERY short amount of time between beginning learning and gigging.
3. He had style and jumped around a lot.
4. Punk was never about musical competence.
5. Listen to Belsen Was a Gas on The Swindle ;)

I was having a bit of a laugh! ;)
Just to be pedantic though whilst Sid wrote "Belsen was a gas" I'm pretty sure Jones played bass on the studio recording. In fact IIRC Jones played bass on all the Sex Pistols studio recordings.

I was having a bit of a laugh! ;)
Just to be pedantic though whilst Sid wrote "Belsen was a gas" I'm pretty sure Jones played bass on the studio recording. In fact IIRC Jones played bass on all the Sex Pistols studio recordings.

It's live ;) Definitely Sid playing.

Taken from one of their US tour dates (Winterland Ballroom). The studio version of Belsen on Swindle was recorded in Rio with Ronnie Biggs.

AFI [some of their stuff was punk]
Anti flag
Dead kennedy's
Descendants
Frenzal Rhomb
Goldfinger [mainly ska, but still punk]
Horrorpops
Lagwagon
Living end [before they turned into a pop rock band]
Millencolin
Mindless self indulgence [more industrial but they are also punk]
Misfits
Rancid

And i know you said no pop punk but Blink 182, NOFX, Bad religion and rise against are some of my absoloutly favourite bands

Everyone has a different ear, but those 2 bands definitely fall into pop punk (with the exception of early 80s BR)

Very commercial, radio friendly sound. The singing is very clean and well... yuk. :)

Well you don't have to like it, but you're wrong. Just because it's not hardcore/oi/glorified screamo doesn't mean it's not punk rock.

Well you don't have to like it, but you're wrong. Just because it's not hardcore/oi/glorified screamo doesn't mean it's not punk rock.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion, but for me, it's just not punk rock.

There's no right or wrong, just my opinion. And that is... bands like BR and NOFX are very generic, clean sounding bands.

Again, just my opinion. :)

AFI [some of their stuff was punk]
Anti flag
Dead kennedy's
Descendants
Frenzal Rhomb
Goldfinger [mainly ska, but still punk]
Horrorpops
Lagwagon
Living end [before they turned into a pop rock band]
Millencolin
Mindless self indulgence [more industrial but they are also punk]
Misfits
Rancid

And i know you said no pop punk but Blink 182, NOFX, Bad religion and rise against are some of my absoloutly favourite bands

That's cool. Look, I like some pop-punk bands myself:

Hi-Standard
Going Steady
Mr. T Experience
Toy Dolls

Cool fun bands!

[youtube]92Vd5H0IeSA[/youtube]

[youtube]aQRvBJrGMRs[/youtube]

[youtube]DsryxoX8r5I[/youtube]

[youtube]0BLcCM8nPYQ[/youtube]

[youtube]j8C-MdFPpEk[/youtube]

[youtube]hQK_l1zROKY[/youtube]

Enjoy. :)

Look, you're entitled to your opinion, but for me, it's just not punk rock.

Would you call David Bowie, Blondie, Talking Heads, Joy Division, Smiths, New Order etc punk?

You probably wouldnt, however they have been declared punk at different stages. There are many forms of punk music. Most of the music your referring to is from the hardcore genre. Just because certain bands dont fit your idea of punk rock, doesnt mean they arent. punk rock cannot be easily categorised.

Would you call David Bowie, Blondie, Talking Heads, Joy Division, Smiths, New Order etc punk?

You probably wouldnt, however they have been declared punk at different stages. There are many forms of punk music. Most of the music your referring to is from the hardcore genre. Just because certain bands dont fit your idea of punk rock, doesnt mean they arent. punk rock cannot be easily categorised.

People can call band X whatever they like, I'm just giving you my opinion mate... you think it IS... good on ya, no problem.

Anyways, I'm sick of saying that... just let it go ok... we all have different opinions. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you could write up some more on todays hardcore scene and australian bands?

Defeater: Latest thing from Boston. With bands like MLIW, Have Heart and Verse broken up, this act is set to become the top dog of hardcore. Just put a debut LP titled Travels on Bridge 9. Really powerful lyrics. Listen to the track "Cowardice."

The Carrier: Also from Boston. Play a really heavy and dark brand of hardcore. Intense. Signed to Deathwish Inc. Just put out a self titled EP last year. Listen to the track "No.51"

Mary Jane Kelly- From Sydney. Play a fun, fast, brand of pop/hardcore. Have that look and image which suggests they could eventually play to bigger audiences. Track- "Folding Seas and Lonely Deaths"

Final Fight- Part of the new wave of hardcore acts coming out of LA. I'm a big wrap for this act. Play melodic hardcore that's really fast and emotionally intense- tugs at the heart. They've got two LPs and they both rock. Under Attack and Half Head Full Shred. HHFS came out a couple of months ago. Key track- It's in the Blood... has some of the best lyrics i've heard in a hardcore band.

The Broderick- From Melbourne. Play a technical brand of hardcore in the same vein as Misery Signals. Put out an EP titled Illusion Over Despair. Really great live, though they're currently on a break as they write for a full length, still worth checking their EP. Key track- Courage as a Prison.

Iron Mind- Also from Melbourne. Play old school hardcore similar to Cro Mags. Awesome live and gets people moshing hard even when they're the opening act on the bill.

Hope that helps bro!!

Defeater: Latest thing from Boston. With bands like MLIW, Have Heart and Verse broken up, this act is set to become the top dog of hardcore. Just put a debut LP titled Travels on Bridge 9. Really powerful lyrics. Listen to the track "Cowardice."

The Carrier: Also from Boston. Play a really heavy and dark brand of hardcore. Intense. Signed to Deathwish Inc. Just put out a self titled EP last year. Listen to the track "No.51"

Mary Jane Kelly- From Sydney. Play a fun, fast, brand of pop/hardcore. Have that look and image which suggests they could eventually play to bigger audiences. Track- "Folding Seas and Lonely Deaths"

Final Fight- Part of the new wave of hardcore acts coming out of LA. I'm a big wrap for this act. Play melodic hardcore that's really fast and emotionally intense- tugs at the heart. They've got two LPs and they both rock. Under Attack and Half Head Full Shred. HHFS came out a couple of months ago. Key track- It's in the Blood... has some of the best lyrics i've heard in a hardcore band.

The Broderick- From Melbourne. Play a technical brand of hardcore in the same vein as Misery Signals. Put out an EP titled Illusion Over Despair. Really great live, though they're currently on a break as they write for a full length, still worth checking their EP. Key track- Courage as a Prison.

Iron Mind- Also from Melbourne. Play old school hardcore similar to Cro Mags. Awesome live and gets people moshing hard even when they're the opening act on the bill.

Hope that helps bro!!
Cheers mate, will have to keep an eye out on those bands, also see a mention of Misery Signals in there :thumbsu:

Another quick question how do you find out about all these bands?

Cheers mate, will have to keep an eye out on those bands, also see a mention of Misery Signals in there :thumbsu:

Another quick question how do you find out about all these bands?

Well I have to confess that I'm obsessed with music and particularly obsessed with punk/hardcore so that definitely helps. :p

I'm a big user of last.fm. This site is invaluable to scouting out new bands. Get on to it. Here's my profile- feel free to add me: last.fm/user/sunnydale_grad

I try to go to as many gigs as I can and usually try to get in early to see the supports- no better way to stay in touch with the local scene.

Myspace is an obvious one. Visiting the page of a band you like then clicking through onto one of their top friends can be hit and miss but you can find good stuff you haven't heard before.

there are a ton of really awesome sites and blogs that link to good tunes: here are a couple:

http://subhumannature.blogspot.com/
punknews.org
http://punkrockoi.blogspot.com
Taringa can be useful too...

Generally it's a case of trial and error. Try it out- if it grabs you, you listen to more, if not you delete it and move on to the next thing.

pm me or whatever dude, i'll help you out.

Good post Mr Sensitive. No one should miss out on finding new music via blog world and lastFM.

Forget the radio unless it is 4ZZZ in Brisbane or the equivalent in other places, forget music on TV, forget media crap like Pitchfork etc etc. Blog world is the go for a fantastic resource to find the old and the new no matter the genre. I have a list of 25 bookmarked that get daily reading and checking out. They keep me more than occupied.

So you went along to see Have Heart on their recent Aus tour?

Saw them twice at the Arty and they killed it both nights. Really bloody amazing. The first night in particular was a real highlight, the crowd went absolutely ballistic. I went nuts when they closed with "Watch Me Rise."
One of the best hardcore bands of the last few years... it sucks that they're breaking up in a few months time, though at least I got to see them live.

Now that I think about it, most punk/hardcore bands only release 2-3 albums and break up after 4-6 years. To me this is what makes punk and especially hardcore such a unique scene.

On the one hand it sucks that great bands break up too quickly and most people don't get the chance to see them live, but on the other hand the constant turnover of bands is what allows punk/hardcore to keep renewing itself and keeps the scene fresh and constantly exciting. It's a double edged sword.

Good post Mr Sensitive. No one should miss out on finding new music via blog world and lastFM.

Forget the radio unless it is 4ZZZ in Brisbane or the equivalent in other places, forget music on TV, forget media crap like Pitchfork etc etc. Blog world is the go for a fantastic resource to find the old and the new no matter the genre. I have a list of 25 bookmarked that get daily reading and checking out. They keep me more than occupied.

yeah for the most part, radio is pretty much useless... I've lost track of the great acts, both old and new, that i've discovered thanks to last.fm and blogs that are maintained by fans.

yeah for the most part, radio is pretty much useless... I've lost track of the great acts, both old and new, that i've discovered thanks to last.fm and blogs that are maintained by fans.

Yeah me too. I get greedy and have to listen to some obscure avant act from the past that I knew nothing about. I reckon I have 50 gig lined up. Stuffed if I know when I will get to listen to some of it or remember what it was that attracted me in the first place haa haa.

The thing I like is that a lot link to others and then one can go on a fantastic journey and get hooked for hours.

sigworthy :D

haa haa. My issue is that I am genuinely not interested in criticism. I have heard it all before and that to me seems to be the only reason that that site, and similar, exist. I no longer read them as I do not care what they say. I can make my own mind up and move on quickly. Why complain about what you don't like when there is 50 gig and blog world sitting there to be explored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back