Punk Throwdown Showdown - Nominations for best Punk band ever

What are we basing it on?

The Clash, Sex Pistols, Black Flag and the Ramones probably were the biggest I can think of influence wise closing followed by Bad Religion

For sheer awesomeness I would mention The Descendents, Misfits, SLF, DOA and Minor Threat

Sonic Youth and Husker Du would also rate a mention.

The Stooges would probably not count as they date well before punk (as defined) started, with also The Velvets and MC5 also probably being big influences.

Plus I love Fugazi, Nomeansno, The Stranglers, the Damned, Joy Division

For the original list I would remove Patti (more rock act with punk attitude), Suicidal (only there first album is really punk then they crossed over to thrash) and the Dolls (glam band with a punky sound)

Sy my list would be:

1. Rancid
2. Dead Kennedys
3. The Ramones
4. NOFX
5. Pennywise
6. Bad Religion
7. The Saints
8. The Clash
9. The Sex Pistols
10. Husker Du
11. Sonic Youth
12. Minor Threat
13. Descendents
14. Sick of it All

Propagandhi got dropped because 4 Epitpah sounding bands is to many for such a small sample

Sick of it all's 'Built to last' is in my top10 albums of all time.. Whn I first got it I reckon I listened to it for 2 months straight..Awesome band

Propoghandi deserve to be on the list for 'How to clean everything' alone.. Such a good album..Love it:thumbsu:

The_Todd07

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Red Sox 76ers
I'm nominating The Offspring.

They got me into music in general back when I was a youngun' and they are still head and shoulders above everyone else as my favorite band.

Roos4eva

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Western United FC
My choices:

The Ramones
Minor Threat
Black Flag
The Damned

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
A bit left field, but I guess if the Dropkick Murphys can rate a mention, I would nominate the Pogues. For sheer originality thier first three albums were outstanding. Alas Shane is but a shadow of the man he used to be, saw them live in 2002 at the Brixton Academy (bonus disc with the Best Of) and he was an absolute shambles, his voice is shot and he seemed to spend most of the gig staggering around looking for the various offies that he had set up around the stage.
Also I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned the Birthday Party or the Boys Next Door.

Birthday Party are more left field than Pogues in this thread. Dropkick Murphys can rate a mention because they are pretty archytypal of punk rock, sure they have a celtic theme but it's pretty much straight punk rock with Irish instruments added.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
I'm nominating The Offspring.

They got me into music in general back when I was a youngun' and they are still head and shoulders above everyone else as my favorite band.

I'm going to get flamed for this but early offspring is very very good. The rest of it is solid and underrated, even the albums with the novelty hit songs. Was close to being mentioned for me.

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I don't reckon the Clash have s**t on a lot of the bands I mentioned to be honest.

More critically acclaimed and sold more records, sure, but nowhere near as good as the Dead Kennedys or NOFX imo. Just personal taste I guess.

Definitely comes down to personal taste. Especially if you have Rancid as your
#1 or as me and my mates call them Diet Clash;)

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Definitely comes down to personal taste. Especially if you have Rancid as your
#1 or as me and my mates call them Diet Clash;)

Rancid aren't my personal number 1. Dead Kennedys and NOFX tie for the lead in my book. :)

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I'm going to get flamed for this but early offspring is very very good. The rest of it is solid and underrated, even the albums with the novelty hit songs. Was close to being mentioned for me.

I'm going to throw them in there, they basically nailed the West Coast pop punk sound in the 90's.

I'm going to put Blink 182 in there too, even though I'm not a fan they were quite clearly the biggest pop punk band around during the third wave.

The Clash and Celibate Rifles for me even though both bands aren't what you call strict punk maybe old school punk.

Meh,I call em punk.:Ddn't like Should I Stay Or Should I Go.

London Calling= one of the best albums of all time in any genre but some of it aint punk.

Back