Punk Throwdown Showdown - Nominations for best Punk band ever

Remove this Banner Ad

you wouldn't think so, but Hart and Mould at least did an impromptu benefit gig a few years ago - so there's so some hope. if Kim Deal and Frank Black reformed the pixies, and J Mascis and Lou Barlow got over their s**t to reform Dinosaur Jr, you never know with Husker Du.

One can only live and hope

Not the best ever but a damn fine band all the same. They did influence a number a bands with what they sang about though

Husker Du is your choice then I take it? Its fair enough man, music is totally subjective - and DK were the first real punk band I ever heard - and that was in the mid-late 90's. I associate a lot of good memories with the band, because they weren't "cool" to listen to at all and I used to scare a lot of people at school by singing "I kill Children" or "Kill the poor" at parties. Good times.

I just reckon they tick all the boxes:

Excellent front man
Great lyrics that have a real meaning
Brilliant muso's
Insane pace
Inspire violence
Deliberately flaunt authority

All the things a punk band should be imo. EBR kind of ruined their legacy by selling out later, but a lot of bands have done that - and not broken up over it the way Jello did with EBR.

Husker Du is your choice then I take it? Its fair enough man, music is totally subjective - and DK were the first real punk band I ever heard - and that was in the mid-late 90's. I associate a lot of good memories with the band, because they weren't "cool" to listen to at all and I used to scare a lot of people at school by singing "I kill Children" or "Kill the poor" at parties. Good times.

I just reckon they tick all the boxes:

Excellent front man
Great lyrics that have a real meaning
Brilliant muso's
Insane pace
Inspire violence
Deliberately flaunt authority

All the things a punk band should be imo. EBR kind of ruined their legacy by selling out later, but a lot of bands have done that - and not broken up over it the way Jello did with EBR.

I've really only started getting into Husker Du over the last few years. The DK's were one of the first punk bands I ever listened to too so I am don't want to put them down. I have all their records plus bootlegs, its just that these days they are not one of my go to bands.

I rate them as one of the great bands of the hardcore era but I would take early Black Flag first. I am also partial to Milo's voice from the Descendents and think Milo Goes to College is one of the greatest albums of all time.

As to my favourite now. My answer would depend on the day and what I have listened to recently

the last few years since I know no one else that listens to punk I have been feeling my way by myself which makes finding new stuff a slow process

I've really only started getting into Husker Du over the last few years. The DK's were one of the first punk bands I ever listened to too so I am don't want to put them down. I have all their records plus bootlegs, its just that these days they are not one of my go to bands.

I rate them as one of the great bands of the hardcore era but I would take early Black Flag first. I am also partial to Milo's voice from the Descendents and think Milo Goes to College is one of the greatest albums of all time.

As to my favourite now. My answer would depend on the day and what I have listened to recently

the last few years since I know no one else that listens to punk I have been feeling my way by myself which makes finding new stuff a slow process

speaking of which, can people recommend some good current Australian punk bands? UV Race are pretty good

speaking of which, can people recommend some good current Australian punk bands? UV Race are pretty good

Current as in still playing I am not fully aware of but I saw Death in the Family the other day and they were good I also like the King Cannons but they are more Ska/Rock Steady.

If you want stuff from a number of years ago I can name a few though

I always liked this song, but this amateur made video really lets it shine....

[youtube]I3s3ps0PK74[/youtube]

Don't comment til you watch, knobs.

Thing with the 90's scene is, I think, it's misunderstood. Emo started in the 90's, but it wasn't the 'emo' people see today. It was bands like Saves the Day, Sunny Day REal Estate, Shai Hulud, Texas is The REason etc. that were around - somehow that got hijacked into being a pop-goth crossover genre that it is today. It has nothing to do with punk anymore, but the early emo bands of the 90's ****ing kicked arse.
:eek:
rJ, you really need to listen to more Shai Hulud.

Anyway Propagandhi win it for me. Easily.

Jayne/Wayne County & The Electric Chairs recorded and sold 1000's of copies of their anthem "Fcuk Off" with NO airplay/exposure/chart position at the time. Well, maybe John Peel.
It was about 30,000 in two weeks

http://www.drumpunk.co.uk/ec_hist01_r4.html

The Punk Rock Movie filmed by Don Letts has the Electric Chairs in it.

[YOUTUBE]AO1Nq5zQFFo[/YOUTUBE]

Wayne before he became Jayne :)

Then Wayne is Jayne, a BIG New York Dolls fan

[YOUTUBE]J6tZ0e5nCv8[/YOUTUBE]

Rippping guitar

Oh yeah, forgot these guys....

[youtube]6BpPiuEsXAw[/youtube]

[youtube]N3BCLA_vR2U[/youtube]

[youtube]xTo_wmZ3X3A[/youtube]

[youtube]InVTNzd9gYI[/youtube]

[youtube]CxHqhq0gUKQ[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing with the 90's scene is, I think, it's misunderstood. Emo started in the 90's, but it wasn't the 'emo' people see today. It was bands like Saves the Day, Sunny Day REal Estate, Shai Hulud, Texas is The REason etc. that were around - somehow that got hijacked into being a pop-goth crossover genre that it is today. It has nothing to do with punk anymore, but the early emo bands of the 90's ****ing kicked arse.

The bands you mention existed more at the commercial end of the 90's "emo" scene with SDRE being the only one to have any sort of far reaching influence. As someone who was VERY much into the "emo" stuff going around between about 1990 and 1999 i can tell you most of these bands didn't rate a mention. Although i quite liked Texas is the Reason.

While Rites Of Spring, Embrace and other DC area bands can rightfully lay claim to being the first bands referred to as "emo", Moss Icon was the band that pretty much laid down the blueprint for what the 90's emo sound would become. And being a sub-genre that was born out of the hardcore movement it had a very strong DIY ethic attached to it. The Sunny Day Real Estate type bands existed fairly well seperate from this scene and the two barely, if ever, crossed over. "Screamo" or "chaotic emo" were terms that came into use to describe the much harder, abrasive sound these bands produced.

DIY labels like Ebullition, Gravity, Vermiform and countless others, while never actually labelling themselves as "emo" labels, released a lot of this type of stuff. Ebullition in particular, run by Kent McCLard, was a fantastic label and mailorder. In the 80's Kent did a great fanzine called 'No Answers' and later went on to become a regular columnist in 'Maximum Rock 'N Roll'. When Tim Yohannan decided in the early 90's to set very strict guidelines for what music styles/bands could/couldn't be reviewed or interviewed in MRR, Kent went and started 'HeartAttack' fanzine which more or less became the unofficial "emo" bible.

Most bands and band members pretty much had NO fashion to speak of although there were exceptions. Some bands, like Gravity Records' Antioch Arrow among others definitely did cultivate that jet-black hair and clothes look which has become synonymous with the term "emo" today. But they were very much in the minority.

All in all there were some amazing bands, labels and fanzines centered around this scene. I still shake my head in disbelief when i see and hear what it's come to symbolise to the masses today.

A few examples.....

Moss Icon

[YOUTUBE]qsOb7J6ZNsk[/YOUTUBE]

Universal Order Of Armageddon

[YOUTUBE]FmcQpJ86-HE[/YOUTUBE]

Clikitat Ikatowi

[YOUTUBE]Hv7eGCIVIig[/YOUTUBE]

In/Humanity

[YOUTUBE]t2WAlyjGjBw[/YOUTUBE]

Reversal Of Man

[YOUTUBE]vmidjssMByM[/YOUTUBE]

Do Sublime count?

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lP2uAHs57M4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lP2uAHs57M4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Mostly agree with the list on the front page, that's a very nice assortment of bands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back