rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Going to get a poll going, where we pan one excellent punk band against another until we reach a final.

I want all the punk fans to put nominations in for bands in this thread, I'll seed the bands based on the amount of nominations they recieve - as a starting point I've got the following as absolute must haves:

1. Rancid
2. Dead Kennedys
3. The Ramones
4. NOFX
5. Pennywise
6. Bad Religion
7. The Saints
8. The Clash
9. The Sex Pistols (personally didn't want them included but I know that people will say I'm crazy for leaving them out)
10. The Stooges
11. Suicidal Tendencies
12. Propagandhi
13. New York Dolls
14. Patti Smith
15. Black Flag
16. The Offspring
17. Blink 182
18. The Descendants
19. Against Me!
20. Dropkick Murphys
21. The Misfits
22. Bad Brains
23. Frenzal Rhomb

Open for any suggestions, go for your life you pack of bastards.

• Banned
Personally I think it begins and ends with The Ramones and The Clash but shouldn't we include Patti Smith in this. She did have her own group.

I don't reckon the Clash have s**t on a lot of the bands I mentioned to be honest.

More critically acclaimed and sold more records, sure, but nowhere near as good as the Dead Kennedys or NOFX imo. Just personal taste I guess.

I don't reckon the Clash have s**t on a lot of the bands I mentioned to be honest.

More critically acclaimed and sold more records, sure, but nowhere near as good as the Dead Kennedys or NOFX imo. Just personal taste I guess.
I still reckon London Calling is one of the greatest albums (not just punk) of all time. But to each their own.

• Banned
I still reckon London Calling is one of the greatest albums (not just punk) of all time. But to each their own.

Its a ripper of an album no doubt. Just not a ripper of a punk album, in my purely subjective opinion.

X - the Australian version. They hold their own against any of the bands mentioned and would have absolutely destroyed most of them live.

The only bands mentioned that would rival their live performances are Dead Kennedies, Black Flag, Patti Smith and The Stooges.

My opinion may be subjective but I have seen all of the acts mentioned with the exception of Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Rancid and Bad Religion.

I nominate The-

[YOUTUBE]DpUp-TPMrbQ[/YOUTUBE]

New York Dolls

[YOUTUBE]IAjp6zNaLT0[/YOUTUBE]

Electric Chairs

Sonics
Seeds
Stooges
Clash
Cramps
Hives
&
Guitar Wolf (If you have not seen the film Wild Zero, do so at your earliest convenience

[YOUTUBE]s9cVPD97Wcs[/YOUTUBE]

Guitar Wolf would have to be the coolest. Electric Chairs &
New York Dolls 2nded.

Are you insane? :D The Clash are one of the best bands ever, never mind their standing in punk circles.

[YOUTUBE]XYK7bEo1Z4M[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to get a poll going, where we pan one excellent punk band against another until we reach a final.

I want all the punk fans to put nominations in for bands in this thread, I'll seed the bands based on the amount of nominations they recieve - as a starting point I've got the following as absolute must haves:

1. Rancid
2. Dead Kennedys
3. The Ramones
4. NOFX
5. Pennywise
6. Bad Religion
7. The Saints
8. The Clash
9. The Sex Pistols (personally didn't want them included but I know that people will say I'm crazy for leaving them out)
10. The Stooges
11. Suicidal Tendencies
12. Propagandhi
13. New York Dolls
14. Patti Smith

Open for any suggestions, go for your life you pack of bastards.

Descendents goddamnit! And Against Me! (don't forget the !)

My votes (if we were doing it like that) would be

3. Bad Religion
2. Propagandhi
1. Dead Kennedys

NoFX very close.

Others you might consider
Stiff Little Fingers (probably my favourite band from that era, not usually a huge fan of very early punk/pre-punk)
Adolescents (won't get a lot of love I suppose but highly influential)
Minor Threat
Bad Brains
Fugazi
Lagwagon
Strung Out
Rise Against
Dropkick Murphys
Operation Ivy
ALL

These are the bands people talk up the most not necessarily my picks.

You're never going to get a definite answer anyway, people enjoy different styles. There are many here that haven't heard of any punk bands past 1980, there are many here that do not care at all for the protopunk bands (like me).

Are you insane? :D The Clash are one of the best bands ever, never mind their standing in punk circles.
You speaketh the truth.

As far as the list goes, it definitely needs Black Flag, The Decendants and The Damned - significant contributors to what is punk.

Good to see NoFX and Pennywise there.

Others you might consider
Stiff Little Fingers (probably my favourite band from that era, not usually a huge fan of very early punk/pre-punk)
Adolescents (won't get a lot of love I suppose but highly influential)
Minor Threat
Bad Brains
Fugazi
Lagwagon
Strung Out
Rise Against
Dropkick Murphys
Operation Ivy
ALL
Fantastic band is Lagwagon.

If Fugazi are to be included I'd submit the Gun Club as well.

A bit left field, but I guess if the Dropkick Murphys can rate a mention, I would nominate the Pogues. For sheer originality thier first three albums were outstanding. Alas Shane is but a shadow of the man he used to be, saw them live in 2002 at the Brixton Academy (bonus disc with the Best Of) and he was an absolute shambles, his voice is shot and he seemed to spend most of the gig staggering around looking for the various offies that he had set up around the stage.
Also I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned the Birthday Party or the Boys Next Door.

I think Crass may have agreed with you.

They said that we were trash,
Well the name is Crass, not Clash.
They can stuff their punk credentials
Cause it's them that take the cash.
They won't change nothing with their fashionable talk,
All their RAR badges and their protest walk..

What are we basing it on?

The Clash, Sex Pistols, Black Flag and the Ramones probably were the biggest I can think of influence wise closing followed by Bad Religion

For sheer awesomeness I would mention The Descendents, Misfits, SLF, DOA and Minor Threat

Sonic Youth and Husker Du would also rate a mention.

The Stooges would probably not count as they date well before punk (as defined) started, with also The Velvets and MC5 also probably being big influences.

Plus I love Fugazi, Nomeansno, The Stranglers, the Damned, Joy Division

For the original list I would remove Patti (more rock act with punk attitude), Suicidal (only there first album is really punk then they crossed over to thrash) and the Dolls (glam band with a punky sound)

Sy my list would be:

1. Rancid
2. Dead Kennedys
3. The Ramones
4. NOFX
5. Pennywise
6. Bad Religion
7. The Saints
8. The Clash
9. The Sex Pistols
10. Husker Du
11. Sonic Youth
12. Minor Threat
13. Descendents
14. Sick of it All

Propagandhi got dropped because 4 Epitpah sounding bands is to many for such a small sample

Remove this Banner Ad

Back