Punt Rd 40,000-seat stadium proposal

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not a bad idea, it has a lot more merit than Eddie's idea. I still think the obvious answer is Princess park. It's fairly close to the city center, has room to expand without dealing with punt road, wouldn't result in ripping up the indigenous center and turning that into a 30-40k stadium wouldn't cost as much as Eddie's plan. Arden st is often proposed by North fans, but that has less space to expand as its sandwiched between two roads, whereas most of Princess park is surrounded by parkland. It would also mean that the three stadiums would be somewhat separated from each other, one to the north of the city, and the other two to the east and west of the city.

The AFL wont want another ground taking games away from the AFL owned Docklands...

As for a soccer pitch...There is a rectangular stadium that seats 30K about 1km away, I doubt they'd want a lot of games on an oval ground just for those extra seats (they play some games at Docklands, but that's ~25K more seats).

At the start of the A-League season teams can't play there regularly due to rugby I think. Similar to how the AFL preseason comp is hindered by other sports.

At the start of the A-League season teams can't play there regularly due to rugby I think. Similar to how the AFL preseason comp is hindered by other sports.

A league season started Oct 8...Nobody else plays there then (NRL might be on, just, but unless they've decided on playing the GF in Melbourne on a 30K stadium there is no clash).

A league season started Oct 8...Nobody else plays there then (NRL might be on, just, but unless they've decided on playing the GF in Melbourne on a 30K stadium there is no clash).

Fair enough, a 3rd stadium allows more flexibility though, NAB Cup, Etihad refurb, etc

there is no other tenant bar the AFL for a 3rd oval stadium in the city. that would make any case to the government a very hard sell, especially with the latest upgrades down the road in Geelong.

i agree with telsor, soccer would prefer to stay at AAMI. the extra 10K that a 3rd stadium for an oval stadium is just not worth it. the rugby codes are similar to the soccer.

Cricket has Junction oval, all to themselves. if they hosted a match which required a stadium, they would just use the MCG or docklands like they do now. the Renegades are happy to use Geelong as well. any womens watches would move with the mens to make it easier to broadcast on TV, or stay at Junction Oval.

it cant even be used for concerts, as the indoor docklands would be a better venue or RLA.

the only way the AFL would get a new 3rd stadium would be if something happened to the Docklands. 2 stadiums in Melbourne(and one in geelong) is enough for government. Unless the AFL fund it, it wont be built, and they have better things to fund than that.

there is no other tenant bar the AFL for a 3rd oval stadium in the city. that would make any case to the government a very hard sell, especially with the latest upgrades down the road in Geelong.

i agree with telsor, soccer would prefer to stay at AAMI. the extra 10K that a 3rd stadium for an oval stadium is just not worth it. the rugby codes are similar to the soccer.

Cricket has Junction oval, all to themselves. if they hosted a match which required a stadium, they would just use the MCG or docklands like they do now. the Renegades are happy to use Geelong as well. any womens watches would move with the mens to make it easier to broadcast on TV, or stay at Junction Oval.

it cant even be used for concerts, as the indoor docklands would be a better venue or RLA.

the only way the AFL would get a new 3rd stadium would be if something happened to the Docklands. 2 stadiums in Melbourne(and one in geelong) is enough for government. Unless the AFL fund it, it wont be built, and they have better things to fund than that.

Agree...Geelong is (or should be) the 'third stadium', and that the AFL wont let anyone play there shows how little the AFL thinks such a ground is needed.

I like this plan more than Eddies, anything that puts the Australian Open at risk can't be contemplated and losing Hisense would do just that. Even if it's rebuilt can't see how it would fit into the precinct, just not viable IMO.

Lets say Etihad is worth 1.3 billion (hypothetically), I wouldn't mind a funding arrangement if its sold such as
Each Victorian Club gets a piece to spend on their own grounds, with clubs that play more home games at Etihad getting more.

The AFL would then spend say 500mil on the development of a 60,000 stadium at E. Gate. If I was the AFL I'd also develop Princes Park and maybe Punt road as 'boutique' suburban venues and encourage the other Victorian clubs to do the same. Carlton, and Richmond would obviously have to contribute some of their money towards this, and clubs that play heavily at Etihad with room to expand like St. Kilda at Moorabbin and the Western Bulldogs at Whitten could well end up developing their own grounds for 1-3 matches per year. But lets just say for now the capacities would be
MCG - 100,000
E-Gate - 60,000
Princes Park - 40,000
Simonds Stadium - 40,000 (predicted capacity once this developments complete)
Punt Road - 25,000

Vic clubs could then have home ground splits as follows
Carlton - 7 Princes Park, 4 MCG
Collingwood - 9 MCG, 2 E-Gate
Essendon - 7 E-Gate, 4 MCG
Geelong - 9 Simonds, 1 MCG, 1 E-Gate
Hawthorn - 7 MCG, 4 Launceston
Melbourne - 8 MCG, 3 Punt Road
North Melbourne - 7 E-Gate, 4 Princes Park
Richmond - 8 MCG, 3 Punt Road
St. Kilda - 7 E-Gate, 2 Princes Park, 2 Punt Road
Western Bulldogs - 9 E- Gate, 2 Princes Park

Total Ground Split
MCG - 41
E- Gate - 33
Princes Park - 15
Simonds - 9
Punt Road - 8

Didn't mean to go into that much detail, but if this 1.3 billion figure is true I'd like to see the spread between grounds a bit more. A touch of suburban feel back into the AFL wouldn't be a bad thing

So the annual dick measuring contest has moved from membership figures to fictional stadiums.

I expect Carlton to come up with some ridiculous sketch of Princes Park seating 50k.
Richmond have been on this for years.

I like this plan more than Eddies, anything that puts the Australian Open at risk can't be contemplated and losing Hisense would do just that. Even if it's rebuilt can't see how it would fit into the precinct, just not viable IMO.

Lets say Etihad is worth 1.3 billion (hypothetically), I wouldn't mind a funding arrangement if its sold such as
Each Victorian Club gets a piece to spend on their own grounds, with clubs that play more home games at Etihad getting more.

The AFL would then spend say 500mil on the development of a 60,000 stadium at E. Gate. If I was the AFL I'd also develop Princes Park and maybe Punt road as 'boutique' suburban venues and encourage the other Victorian clubs to do the same. Carlton, and Richmond would obviously have to contribute some of their money towards this, and clubs that play heavily at Etihad with room to expand like St. Kilda at Moorabbin and the Western Bulldogs at Whitten could well end up developing their own grounds for 1-3 matches per year. But lets just say for now the capacities would be
MCG - 100,000
E-Gate - 60,000
Princes Park - 40,000
Punt Road - 25,000

Total Ground Split
MCG - 41
E- Gate - 33
Princes Park - 15
Simonds - 9
Punt Road - 8

Didn't mean to go into that much detail, but if this 1.3 billion figure is true I'd like to see the spread between grounds a bit more. A touch of suburban feel back into the AFL wouldn't be a bad thing

This is the sort of sensible debate that needs to be discussed. The AFL has $1.3B worth of equity on paper, which does jack all for the competition. Like seriously, this has zero benefits to anyone except for the accountants. None of this goes into growing the game directly through grassroots or league games. Time to take the Golden Egg and run with it whilst it still has value. E-gate could one day be valuable land, but quite cheap at the moment as the land would be bought from the government and would anchor that development, so a win-win for the government as they now have some land to develop at docklands for investors, as well as an anchor tenant for E-Gate. Whether both Punt Rd and Princess Park need to be developed on top of KP, MCG and E-Gate is yet to be seen, maybe if Princess Park was done first and see where we go from there.

Looking at Construction Costs, the new Perth Stadium is expected to cost $800m on stadium alone, source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth_Stadium so If we assumed a build price of $700m, I think that would be reasonable. That leaves $600m to play with, which would comfortably see KP and Princess Park fully funded, another $500m ($100m for KP, $400m for PP). And that extra $500m doesn't even need to be spent to keep the status quo so could be kept aside if they decide PP isn't needed and KP can be funded by the government which on track record would be likely anyhow.

If Docklands is worth $1.3b, then why not sell it, distribute it all to the clubs and tell them all to fend for themselves?
4 clubs pooling their distribution would be easily enough to cover a fully club-owned 25,000 seater that will no doubt make them all a mint. More if they can get some government funding on board.

Unless no-one shows up and it's half filled every week, but let's not discuss that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MCG - 100,000
E-Gate - 60,000
Princes Park - 40,000
Punt Road - 25,000

Total Ground Split
MCG - 41
E- Gate - 33
Princes Park - 15
Simonds - 9
Punt Road - 8

So Richmond, a club with just about 70000 members, and lowest home game attendance of 36000 last year is going to play 3 games at a 20000 seat stadium ?

Plus some clubs in this model have 3 'home games'. The idea of Richmond playing 1 home game at Etihad This year is stupid enough as it is.
The only move away from the G Richmond would ever consider would be back to punt road, for only a select few games, and a minimum of 40000 seats.

In a model like this poor saints would feel like gypsies and wouldn't who where to all home.

Plus once the AFL own Etihad, there is no reason why clubs can't play all their home games at the 1 venue with no criteria of a certain amount of sell outs or games to play at a certain venue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the annual dick measuring contest has moved from membership figures to fictional stadiums.

I expect Carlton to come up with some ridiculous sketch of Princes Park seating 50k.

St. Kilda's proposed Moorabbin upgrade, including refurbished disco -

hqdefault16.jpg

This is not a bad idea, it has a lot more merit than Eddie's idea. I still think the obvious answer is Princess park. It's fairly close to the city center, has room to expand without dealing with punt road, wouldn't result in ripping up the indigenous center and turning that into a 30-40k stadium wouldn't cost as much as Eddie's plan. Arden st is often proposed by North fans, but that has less space to expand as its sandwiched between two roads, whereas most of Princess park is surrounded by parkland. It would also mean that the three stadiums would be somewhat separated from each other, one to the north of the city, and the other two to the east and west of the city.
honestly this, PP is the natural solution

Richmond station would need a significant upgrade for this sort of thing to happen. Where's the money coming from? Who plays in it? Fixture issues. Physical constraints E.g. punt rd and brunton ave. It still isn't viable.

In a perfect world the 3rd stadium could also be used as a soccer pitch during summer and or World Cup/Olympics, bringing in more parties to fund it.
It would never be used for soccer. A-League have AAMI Park and Etihad Stadium which has retractable seating.
The retractable seating brings the capacity down to 47k.

It's seems pretty clear to me that both these new ideas are being used as bargaining chips for the buyout of Etihad. Present alternatives why you don't need to buy Etihad early and the price demanded for the buyout will fall.

I'd say the chance of either (or PP) being built/upgraded in reality is less than 5 per cent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back