Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is the sky blue? Just as relevant.

There is no issue with selwood’s actions to break a tackle. If he is successful half the time great, especially if others have a lower success rate.

The issue is whether he should get a free for drawing head high contact? I think no

Clearly by his pleads and arguing though for a free, he’s doing it for free first and foremost. But that’s another issue.

There is an issue though, because he is good at trying to evade tackles the tackler no longer has to be responsible for getting him high is just ridiculous.
It has got to the point that every tackle that is high now is the player with the ball fault and high tackling is rife in our game now. In fact it is almost non existent head high free kicks. Yet there is one after another all game long in every game now.

There is an issue though, because he is good at trying to evade tackles the tackler no longer has to be responsible for getting him high is just ridiculous.
It has got to the point that every tackle that is high now is the player with the ball fault and high tackling is rife in our game now. In fact it is almost non existent head high free kicks. Yet there is one after another all game long in every game now.
Tackles that start high still get free kicks, that hasn't changed. The fact that there are so many more tackles in footy these days due the congestion means the umps miss a few. Plus they tend to let the game go, it is no where near as twiggy touch wood as it used to be. Watch a 1980's game of footy and you see how many 'soft' free kicks were paid back then (except to full forwards). I think we have let the player getting tackled get away with trying to break the tackle, or being held in the tackle until they can eventually get a foot to it, way to long, hence this sort of controversy.

Tackles that start high still get free kicks, that hasn't changed. The fact that there are so many more tackles in footy these days due the congestion means the umps miss a few. Plus they tend to let the game go, it is no where near as twiggy touch wood as it used to be. Watch a 1980's game of footy and you see how many 'soft' free kicks were paid back then (except to full forwards). I think we have let the player getting tackled get away with trying to break the tackle, or being held in the tackle until they can eventually get a foot to it, way to long, hence this sort of controversy.

Agree on this point, but still think way to much high contact is not paid now.

I'll let you be the judge:
hb-drawing-7.jpg
No red and black at 86 GF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood getting the most high frees in the past 18 months would surprise nobody

Pretty sure Mathieson being up there surprises nobody either, wasn't expecting him to be second with the number of games he has played though

Was surprised that Sis has gotten so many frees for blocking, holds etc in marking contests considering some of the crap he pulled earlier in the year

can't help but think that is a pretty cherry picked article though

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-30/free-kick-facts-who-gets-em-who-gives-em-away

From 31 games in his past two seasons, Joel Selwood has received 49 head-high free kicks – 23 more than the next highest, Brisbane's Rhys Mathieson.

I don't blame selwood for milking the system but I hate what he does and believe it ruins the spectacle of the game.

He's obviously not a lone wolf with all teams having players guilty of similar things with Gray and Wingard notable mentions from Port.

It is a shame though that Selwood is leagues ahead of everyone else and only has himself to blame as how he will be remembered.

I don't blame selwood for milking the system but I hate what he does and believe it ruins the spectacle of the game.

He's obviously not a lone wolf with all teams having players guilty of similar things with Gray and Wingard notable mentions from Port.

It is a shame though that Selwood is leagues ahead of everyone else and only has himself to blame as how he will be remembered.

How many have you seen this season?

It's always the same 5 posters going on about 'how he will be remembered'. Give it a rest, he will be remembered as a hard at it champion of the game, except by the one old bloke at the boozer who gripes about everything and that no one listens to anyway.

I still can't believe tacklers haven't caught one and adapted

How many have you seen this season?

It's always the same 5 posters going on about 'how he will be remembered'. Give it a rest, he will be remembered as a hard at it champion of the game, except by the one old bloke at the boozer who gripes about everything and that no one listens to anyway.

He's no doubt better this year and modified his actions now that the umps are no longer rewarding him as much

He's still got room for improvement but no where near the embarrassing levels of the last decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back