Pup Clarke's new book

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the problems Clarke had was that he was made captain at a fairly young age and younger than several of the older players like Hussey and Katich.

Kim Hughes had the same problem when he was made captain at a young age in the 80s ahead of older guys like Marsh and Lillee who resented him for it.

Some older players don't take too kindly to being told what to do by a captain that's younger than them.

I don't think age comes into it once they've established credibility as a player.

One of the problems Clarke had was that he was made captain at a fairly young age and younger than several of the older players like Hussey and Katich.

Kim Hughes had the same problem when he was made captain at a young age in the 80s ahead of older guys like Marsh and Lillee who resented him for it.

Some older players don't take too kindly to being told what to do by a captain that's younger than them.
That's right, and sometimes it's better to make someone like Hussey or Katich captain for a year or two before transitioning it to Clarke.

I never understood why Katich was so filthy that he never played again once Clarke was captain. He was what, 33? 34? And had just snapped his Achilles in half. This is while we were carrying a cooked Ponting and a 30+ year old Hussey. As harsh as it may sound it made total sense for Katich to never play again.

CvMCXCLUEAAtjWg.jpg
That's a pissa. Thanks for posting it. Is it real? :D :p
"Australia's biggest hitters"?? . Hot Dogs and Millsy? Gimme a break, Pup. :D
And I've never heard of Timomatic or Garry Guererrio, and it only just dawned on me that Pete Evans is that chef dude

I never understood why Katich was so filthy that he never played again once Clarke was captain. He was what, 33? 34? And had just snapped his Achilles in half. This is while we were carrying a cooked Ponting and a 30+ year old Hussey. As harsh as it may sound it made total sense for Katich to never play again.
Katich was a troublemaker, and a sook. Used to throw a tantrum, hurling his bat in the changerooms etc. when he was out, like a spoilt 12 yo.

someone had to go and the current plan was for hussey to play on until his late 30s (he looked in good nick) while Punter was going in a year or so. Unfortunately Hussey pulled up stumps which meant Hussey lite (Rogers) had to come in.

Katich was a troublemaker, and a sook. Used to throw a tantrum, hurling his bat in the changerooms etc. when he was out, like a spoilt 12 yo.

hurling your bat and throwing a tantrum when out is hardly a unique personality in world cricket. Most of the current side tend to be like that - finch, warner, smith are all known to throw the odd bat at a wall. He wasn't a troublemaker and most guys on the team sided with him which tells you how much they thought Katich was a troublemaker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right, and sometimes it's better to make someone like Hussey or Katich captain for a year or two before transitioning it to Clarke.

India was very smart to have Kumble as a stop gap before Dhoni

Nothing on the ABC?

Can't remember the ABC British comedy staple of the time around 2000. Doubt the young lads would have been too interested anyway. At least they weren't watching ACA or TT all the time. Their ad break wrestles would have just been a 30-minute rolling maul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back