Universal Love Purple Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
As part of its commitment to promoting acceptance and diversity, the Essendon Football Club has endorsed its first Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) support group – The Purple Bombers.

CEO Xavier Campbell said Essendon Football Club was a place for all footy fans to feel welcome and respected.

“The Purple Bombers is great initiative,” Campbell said.

“No matter what your race, religion, gender or sexuality - everyone deserves the right to head along and enjoy the football in a safe and positive environment.”

“Our club has always championed diversity and inclusion at the football - We launched our #EFCRespect campaign earlier this season and the formation of the Purple Bombers supporter group is the next step in this important initiative.”

To view the club’s #EFCRespect campaign click here.

Purple Bombers founder and long term club member Jason Tuazon-McCheyne officially unveiled the LGBTI support group alongside Brendon Goddard at training this morning.

“I am beside myself with excitement about today’s launch. Purple Bombers is a statement from the club that says it’s proud to support Essendon's LGBTI supporters and is committed to providing a safe environment at games, the club and official Essendon events,” Tuazon-McCheyne

“Six months ago I approached the club and asked them if they would support Purple Bombers, a group which promotes diversity and inclusion, and I believe it is another step towards making the game of AFL a more welcoming environment for LGBTI persons to attend.”

Goddard has been sponsored by Tuazon-McCheyne since joining Essendon and said he fully supports the Purple Bombers.

“Jason has been a member of this footy club for thirty years, and since I joined the club he’s supported me and when he approached me about Purple Bombers I was more than happy to show my support in return,” Goddard said.

“As a society we have come a long way in terms of sexual equality, and while there’s still plenty of work to do, our footy club continues to promote diversity through the #EFCRespect campaign and Purple Bombers is an extension to that.”

Supporters can register their interest in joining the Purple Bombers by heading to the club website.

Click here if you would like to learn more about the Purple Bombers.

The club has also released a Members’ Code of Conduct which reinforces the commitment to creating a safe, welcoming and family-friendly environment at all official club games and events.

Members are bound by the Code of Conduct and the document outlines acceptable behaviour across a number of different settings including match-day venues, club events and on social media. To view the Members’ Code of Conduct click here.

Source: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-07-31/essendon-supports-launch-of-purple-bombers

Well done to the Bombers on launching this great initiative. For all the talk we see about LGBTI acceptance in the football I'm glad our club is leading the charge on solving the problem.

dxapplanemain.jpg

Great news! Very happy to see this from Essendon!

So I looked into it, might be tied into this -

http://www.glaad.org/spiritday

Millions go purple on Spirit Day in a stand against bullying and to show their support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth. Observed annually since 2010, individuals, schools, organizations, corporations, and public figures wear purple, which symbolizes 'spirit' on the rainbow flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad to see the club get back on the front foot about social causes/unity/respect.. (even if some of it is groan worthy)

I want to see EFC again be recognised as the frontrunner on social issues and inclusion.. like we started in the Sheedy years that I feel has dropped off a bit.

Congrats Purple Bombers and hopefully more clubs will follow!

How good has BJ been off the field for us since coming over, speaks so well.

Great initiative by the EFC.

#EFCRespect

I have no problem with the concept, but I do have a problem with the name Purple Bombers. Until I read the post about Spirit Day, I didn't associate purple with the gay community, but purple in the AFL is clearly associated with FFC. FFC has always had the Purple Haze game, which is about the children's charity the Starlight Foundation. I think the name is poorly thought through.

I have no problem with the concept, but I do have a problem with the name Purple Bombers. Until I read the post about Spirit Day, I didn't associate purple with the gay community, but purple in the AFL is clearly associated with FFC. FFC has always had the Purple Haze game, which is about the children's charity the Starlight Foundation. I think the name is poorly thought through.
I understand that Freo is your world.. but you really can't have a monopoly on the colour Purple..

It is important to note that the 'purple' bombers have existed for a little while.. just not officially recognised at club level.

Also there is already the Pink Magpies.. so that is taken.. and Yellow would offend the Suns.. and Blue would be taken by Carlton..

I understand that Freo is your world.. but you really can't have a monopoly on the colour Purple..

It is important to note that the 'purple' bombers have existed for a little while.. just not officially recognised at club level.

Also there is already the Pink Magpies.. so that is taken.. and Yellow would offend the Suns.. and Blue would be taken by Carlton..
Or else they could be part of the broader Bombers community and wear black and red.

I vaguely remember that Cadbury tried this, and won initially, but the decision was overturned appeal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back