Push ups and sit ups

blunt_tiger

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Just how effective are they?

If an overweight person suddenly started doing 1,000 push ups and situps each day, what would be the outcome?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
They would get better at push-ups and sit-ups, would work the muscles involved in the movements, and burn some calories.

I doubt though that an overweight/unfit person could suddenly just start doing this volume of push-ups and sit-ups each day, even if broken down to smaller amounts throughout the day, and I doubt they'd stay committed to doing it every day if they did. It's a lot of work for probably minimal or very slow progress results. Not really an efficient weight loss or "get in shape" technique IMO.

blunt_tiger

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
They would get better at push-ups and sit-ups, would work the muscles involved in the movements, and burn some calories.

I doubt though that an overweight/unfit person could suddenly just start doing this volume of push-ups and sit-ups each day, even if broken down to smaller amounts throughout the day, and I doubt they'd stay committed to doing it every day if they did. It's a lot of work for probably minimal or very slow progress results. Not really an efficient weight loss or "get in shape" technique IMO.

Of course wouldn't expect anyone to be able to go from nothing to achieving that straight away.

But going as hard as you can with those two exercises and sticking with it daily and being able to build up to doing that many over the course of a day of course, would have to have some really visually noticeable body changes wouldn't it!?!?!?!?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Of course wouldn't expect anyone to be able to go from nothing to achieving that straight away.

But going as hard as you can with those two exercises and sticking with it daily and being able to build up to doing that many over the course of a day of course, would have to have some really visually noticeable body changes wouldn't it!?!?!?!?

I think you'd probably see more noticeable changes in capabilities in the exercise (strength and endurance) than in your body. They're not really efficient body shaping exercises, if they're the only exercises that you're doing. Hell, even if you're only looking to develop functional strength and endurance in the specific muscles being worked, there's probably a bunch of other exercises that you could be doing that would increase strength and endurance more efficiently, and shape the muscles better, too.

blunt_tiger

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you'd probably see more noticeable changes in capabilities in the exercise (strength and endurance) than in your body. They're not really efficient body shaping exercises, if they're the only exercises that you're doing. Hell, even if you're only looking to develop functional strength and endurance in the specific muscles being worked, there's probably a bunch of other exercises that you could be doing that would increase strength and endurance more efficiently, and shape the muscles better, too.

Throw in a daily 10k walk/jog then?

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Just how effective are they?

If an overweight person suddenly started doing 1,000 push ups and situps each day, what would be the outcome?

what thought process is going on with this? are you wanting to try it? someone you know?

for starters someone who is obese probably couldn't do more then 3 - 5 sit ups and even a single push up from the floor...

blunt_tiger

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
what thought process is going on with this? are you wanting to try it? someone you know?

for starters someone who is obese probably couldn't do more then 3 - 5 sit ups and even a single push up from the floor...

It's a general question that should have a straight forward answer but no one can give one

Jul 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Sure, it would work. It's nice & simple. And consistency is everything, provided what you're doing is well balanced. If the person was to do body squats and pull ups, they would have a decent work that's easy to follow and stick with.

The outcome though if a fat person did 1000 + right away would be injury. Gradual progression is key.

Training Mad

All Australian
Nov 16, 2011
The Big Apple
AFL Club
St Kilda
I do a routine on Sunday mornings consists of 50 sit-ups 50 row boats 50 ankle taps 50 bicycle crunches 50 side raisers each side 50 push ups, I do it 10 x with no rest 42 mins, it's my caveman morning!

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry it might be a bit to easy for you! Stick to your 1rm

i don't train 1rm's, i test them maybe 3 - 4 times a year

what's the point of 100's burps? what would i achieve?

i'd get puffed wouldn't I? Which stands to reason i could anything at all as long as it gets me puffed as that's the same effect...

you're not a thinker are you?

and 100 burps in 10mins is pretty easy...

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Ben Roberts Smith, ex SAS and VC recipient was asked in an interview last year if he was stranded on a Desert Island and could only do one exercise for the rest of his life what would it be. Burpee-Pullups was the answer, and they also feature heavily in his daily workouts in a Tabata form.

sprinting by a mile easily

not many people DON'T actually understand what tabata is exactly unfortunately...

Last edited:

Training Mad

All Australian
Nov 16, 2011
The Big Apple
AFL Club
St Kilda
IMO people chose weights over burpies, push ups or boxing at high intensity because that's the easy option.

Not many people could pump out 20 push ups or 10 burpies, but according to most on this forum there easy and you don't achieve anything from them.

Back