Prediction Put it on the record: Finals composition

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
So it looks like we'll be playing Finals under Chris Scott yet again.

We're in good shape, with a number of structural 'looks' we can field.

The question is, what is the best combination of players to take us deep into, umm, October?

Get off the fence if you dare, and answer the following:

1. Ruck combination: Rhys Stanley and ...... Ratugolea? Jenkins? Blicavs? Sub-question, how to best use Blicavs in Finals?

2. small forwards: Dahlhaus, Close, Atkins (yes he plays some midfield minutes, but more often than not he's stationed on a HFF), Miers, Ablett; we've got a regular mosquito fleet. I don't think all can play, at least one misses out once Ablett presumably comes back - which one??

3. is Steven a 'lock', if fit? What if Narkle finds fitness and form, is he a challenger for that spot?

4. Who loses their spot to the skipper? Fogarty? Atkins?

They're my personal big 4 questions, feel free to discuss how you see fit, but please Put it On the Record.

(for mine:

1. Stanley/Ratugolea please
2. Atkins definitely misses, ahead of Close, who will be hanging on by his fingernails given we must find room for the likes of Ablett, Steven, Selwood and Tuohy
3. Steven has done enough to command a spot if fit enough, Narkle unlucky this year
4. I'd keep Fogarty in if at all possible, if it came down to him or Close for a final spot I really would have to flip a coin - so much for getting off the fence!)

Of course all this becomes moot if injury strikes the wrong player at the wrong time, which is always a possibility.

1. Stanley & Blicavs. Stanley rotating between ruck and forward line, Blicavs between ruck and defence (and wherever else he's needed at any given moment).
2. Close out for Ablett. Would be Atkins if it was up to me, but he almost seems un-droppable.
3. Steven no lock - fighting with Atkins for last spot in the side.
4. Fogarty out for Selwood.

FB: Henry, Taylor, Bews
HB: Stewart, Blicavs, O'Connor
C: Duncan, Selwood, Menegola
HF: Ablett, Rohan, Tuohy
FF: Miers, Hawkins, Dahlhaus
FOL: Stanley, Dangerfield, Guthrie

INT: Henderson, Parfitt, Kolo, one of Atkins, Steven, Close or Fogarty

Edit: added Close and Fogarty as options for the final spot in the 22. I think those four players are fighting for that one position, with Atkins & Steven the front runners in the eyes of the MC.

I'd personally be happy with any of them, but if push came to shove I'd probably rank them Steven > Close > Fogarty > Atkins, in terms of who I'd like to see get the nod.

Last edited:
Most important players and who our gameplan revolves around are Rohan, Blitz, Hawkins and Menegola.
As long as they play along with Danger and one of any of the ruckman we have and we'll be fine.
All the rest whatever. As long as they're fit as possible and run hard.

So it looks like we'll be playing Finals under Chris Scott yet again.

We're in good shape, with a number of structural 'looks' we can field.

The question is, what is the best combination of players to take us deep into, umm, October?

Get off the fence if you dare, and answer the following:

1. Ruck combination: Rhys Stanley and ...... Ratugolea? Jenkins? Blicavs? Sub-question, how to best use Blicavs in Finals?

2. small forwards: Dahlhaus, Close, Atkins (yes he plays some midfield minutes, but more often than not he's stationed on a HFF), Miers, Ablett; we've got a regular mosquito fleet. I don't think all can play, at least one misses out once Ablett presumably comes back - which one??

3. is Steven a 'lock', if fit? What if Narkle finds fitness and form, is he a challenger for that spot?

4. Who loses their spot to the skipper? Fogarty? Atkins?

They're my personal big 4 questions, feel free to discuss how you see fit, but please Put it On the Record.

(for mine:

1. Stanley/Ratugolea please
2. Atkins definitely misses, ahead of Close, who will be hanging on by his fingernails given we must find room for the likes of Ablett, Steven, Selwood and Tuohy
3. Steven has done enough to command a spot if fit enough, Narkle unlucky this year
4. I'd keep Fogarty in if at all possible, if it came down to him or Close for a final spot I really would have to flip a coin - so much for getting off the fence!)

Of course all this becomes moot if injury strikes the wrong player at the wrong time, which is always a possibility.

I think its going to depend on who we play .... perhaps we get an idea on Fri night...
Fence.jpeg

What we have now with Stanley in the ruck is close to as good as its going to get. ...butt we will add Selwood,, Ablett , 2e, Stanley ...

I don't see Steven has done enough to replace one of the other fringes...

Blitz as the second ruck with Henderson has works as good as anything ... as long as we can handle the Rich forwardline then thats the way we will go

We've got a structure and it works:

1 Tall Forward (Hawkins)
1 Ruck (Stanley)
1 Utility (Blicavs)
2 Tall Defenders (Taylor, Henderson)

Sav and Jenkins as emergency if one of those 5 gets injured (with some shuffled decks, mainly Blicavs)

Fill it in with small forwards, midfielders, wingers and defenders.

I'd like to see our team against Bulldogs for finals with:
In: Selwood, Ablett
Out: Steven, Atkins

It's a tough swap (especially Atkins) but we have to play Selwood and Ablett in finals if fit.

From the Essendon game in: Tuohy, Selwood, Ablett, Steven, Stanley; out: Zuthrie, Fogarty, Miers, Close/Atkins, Jenkins

Fogarty doesn't thrill me as a forward and he's not getting midfield minutes when those guys are back. I like him but I think one of Close or Atkins plays for team balance

Close and Atkins aren’t really true small forwards either. Close the most likely of the two. Fogarty offers I reckon just as much in that role and can go into the midfield if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm almost leaving Selwood out.
But not Ablett.

Yup, I just shot bambi.

I'd go the other way around, if I was brave enough :oops:

honestly though I think both get a game ahead of Atkins for starters.

Tuohy another who very likely walks back into a winning team, and the MC will be very tempted to include Jack Steven - lots on the periphery, never a bad thing, but making the right choices will be paramount if we're to progress through the finals.

WE can beat them all

but will we.

Simply put - if we turn up to play and play like we play at our best - its ours.

But.. that requires the right team selection, the best 22 to play fit, and the most important and hardest thing to master....

some luck.

Go Catters

I'm almost leaving Selwood out.
But not Ablett.

Yup, I just shot bambi.

“Almost” Leaving out the bloke that is the heart and sole of the club, not to mention the best captain we’ve had for decades, maybe ever, is a ridiculous comment.

He may not be in the best form but if we are to seriously contend for the premiership, he is essential.

Barring injury I can only see a few changes. For me the big question is whether we play with 2 talls or stick with just 1. I suspect against Richmond/Eagles we'll go for 2, and others we'll go with just 1.

So from the weekends team against essendon our best 22 with 1 tall would be:

Ablett, 2e, Selwood, Stanley in.

Close, Atkins, Zuthrie, Jenkins out.

Who comes out for Sav/Jenkins if we go down that path of having an extra tall I have no idea.

1 thing is for sure we are going to have some very unlucky players this year, especially if we go all the way.

Rucks: Stanley with utility Blicavs pinch-hitting around the ground. It's not perfect, but it might be the best option for balance.

If they want to play a second tall-key forward, then it's Jenkins or Ratugolea. I'd pick Jenkins. I think Ratugolea has a future, but at the moment Jenkins is the more complete player and his game maturity is useful. But I'm not sure now that they need to play a second tall forward as Hawkins alone in a smaller forward line has worked better this season. So neither.

Steven in for Fogarty. Steven has been building match fitness, and his form heads incrementally north every game. His last game was pretty much 'A grade'. Geelong is not a quick team, so he offers that in spades too.

Selwood in for Atkins. This is a tough one because Atkins seems to have a defensive role that isn't measured by traditional metrics, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that the coaches view this role as necessary for the team's structure. But spots are tight, and Selwood needs to return.

Ablett in for Close. I'd like to see Ablett playing a very similar role to the one Close is playing right now— a 'bit part' in the forward line— but with Ablett's finesse.

Touhy comes in for Zuthrie.

They will also select depending on opponent.

Last edited:
At a particular moment during the tight last quarter, when Selwood single-handedly drags the team over the line, you will "almost" be grateful that you forgot to load the shotgun.
I think it was on Krock that made the point but:

Although the team right now is playing beautifully, and maybe the inclusion of Selwood and Ablett might hamper that form (might, it's really an unknown), deliberately leaving them out of the team will hurt morale more than any downside they bring (and it's not like their downsides fill an A4 page). You risk a lot more than you win leaving them out. So you don't, when the time comes they play. No ifs, no buts.

The danger here is everyone is rushing back essentially slow/steady but experienced players, and taking out the important structural run we have when Close, Miers, Atkins and Fogerty are in the team. Those that are advocating all four of these players are out I think are a bit off the mark. There is no way for example, Ablett can do what Close does for the team - he does something very different. I think Selwood, Ablett and Stanley are it for the possible ins for the first final, and all others - 2E, Stevens, Sav, etc will be a weekly case by case deal based on opposition and injuries.

The danger here is everyone is rushing back essentially slow/steady but experienced players, and taking out the important structural run we have when Close, Miers, Atkins and Fogerty are in the team. Those that are advocating all four of these players are out I think are a bit off the mark. There is no way for example, Ablett can do what Close does for the team - he does something very different. I think Selwood, Ablett and Stanley are it for the possible ins for the first final, and all others - 2E, Stevens, Sav, etc will be a weekly case by case deal based on opposition and injuries.

haven't seen anyone advocating all four of those small forwards out? that'd be madness, I agree - personally though I reckon at least one, maybe two, should be a bit nervous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back