Putting the bigfooty tiger landscape into context

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations: this thread finally prompted me to register on BigFooty after lurking for a month.

I'm 67 and was lucky enough to see the Tiges go down to Carlton in 1972 and flog them in 1973 and to completely demolish Collingwood in 1980. I love Neil Balme. Francis Bourke was in grade 6 at Nathalia primary school when I was in grade one, which made selecting a team to follow pretty easy after he started with Richmond.

I've been intrigued as to what made a dynastic team like Melbourne in the 50s or Collingwood in the 20s. I've read some very insightful posts on this forum in amongst the dross. If we can just bring on the kids and mid tier players to replace our >200 gamers who will retire in the next two to three years, I think we are a good chance of creating a dynasty. Our current form lapse reminds me so much of the great teams of the late 60s. They would win a premiership then miss the finals the next year, then kick on again the year after. Despite the doom and gloom, its a great time to be a tiges supporter.

Go Tiges!!!!
Good on you who and welcome aboard old mate , sound to me like you make a bit of sense , post more often

I’m life long Tiger man ... I’m 54 and this club has given me so much in my life..... here is my greatest day at the footy... growing up ...Clokey was my favourite player... then he turned and went to the pies....but that last game he played for the Tigers will forever live in my mind.... the man kicks 8 goals and I celebrated every one of them with a beer.... I was well on my way by the end of the game .....on my way home grab a few cans from the bottle shop and continued my walk home ... falling in the creek as I was crossing the stepping stones... arrived home soaked in several ways but what a day....

Nice thread

27 year old supporter that was the only Tiger supporter in my family. Lived with my father who didnt care about football and my Mother and Step-Father are Essendon supporters. Both Grandfathers were Saints supporters. Loved the Tigers as tigers as an animal are ******* cool to a 5 year old.

- Went to a lot of games from 2001 - 2014 (when we were s**t)
- Did a majority of my AusKick at Punt Road.
- Played on the G in the Tigers' auskick side

lol - this thread has me think the season has been cancelled

60 years young
still craving more success , think a decade long dynasty

enduring memories
1st game , standing room behind goals , city end , 1967 2nd semi , standing on steel beer cans with a bunch of other kids so I could see
1974 Kevin Sheedy walking along the lines people queued at Punt rd to get finals tickets , shaking hands , getting hugged and kissed by the grannies , signing autographs , we had stars like Royce Hart , but they pinged off, but the plumber from Prahran was a man of the people
The Whale Roberts, first game playing in Dunlop volleys !!! got 3 kicks all at the top of the goal square , couldn't kick for peanuts 1 goal , one hit the behind post and one out on the full and wide by some way
The Whale Roberts , playing seconds the year he got traded to South for Pitura , a drop kick on the run , defensive side of the centre circle
goes thru for a point , on the full , over the fence , will be the longest kick in AFL history but no footage of it
and seeing Dusty perform some magic live

58 soon. First memory, Royce Hart marking the ball like a soccer goaly horizontal to the ground from a low pass. Hands like a vice.
All the suburban grounds with the old man and brother, standing on the big white Carlton tinnies of the day so you could see.
.... years later, heading off from Elwood with a car full of Richmond supporters. Stop in Richmond to imbibe at a mates house and by foot to the G we go.
Richo, Knighter & co. at the peak of their games. Back to the bottom bar of the espy just in time for the last quarter on a Friday night. Awash.

Congratulations: this thread finally prompted me to register on BigFooty after lurking for a month.

I'm 67 and was lucky enough to see the Tiges go down to Carlton in 1972 and flog them in 1973 and to completely demolish Collingwood in 1980. I love Neil Balme. Francis Bourke was in grade 6 at Nathalia primary school when I was in grade one, which made selecting a team to follow pretty easy after he started with Richmond.

I've been intrigued as to what made a dynastic team like Melbourne in the 50s or Collingwood in the 20s. I've read some very insightful posts on this forum in amongst the dross. If we can just bring on the kids and mid tier players to replace our >200 gamers who will retire in the next two to three years, I think we are a good chance of creating a dynasty. Our current form lapse reminds me so much of the great teams of the late 60s. They would win a premiership then miss the finals the next year, then kick on again the year after. Despite the doom and gloom, its a great time to be a tiges supporter.

Go Tiges!!!!
Mid season nom for POTY

Thanks RD for the op.

This thread has opened a can of worms for me as I'm a Victorian raised young bloke who followed a beautiful English girl across the other side of the country in the early 90s, married her and started a family and a new life.

RFC became a strong link to home for a quarter of a century and the events of 2017 are written large in my psyche. 2019 was some kind of ridiculous and delicious bonus after the shock of the 2018 exit.

I think I will gather my thoughts and then let it all out. Catharsis hey...

Turning the big Five O in August and still young at heart. I'm quite a tallish bloke (6 foot 3). My favourite memories - 1980 GF as a 10 year old staring at the tv in amazement at this funny looking little fellow they called "Hungry" running circles around Collingwood and kicking 7 goals. Then after 37 long years in 2017, the prelim against GWS. Sitting top deck at the Punt Rd end. Opening bounce. Cotchy out of the centre, Dusty off the pack to Lambo for the opening goal. The loudest roar I've ever had at a game in my life. You could actually feel the stands shaking from where I was sitting. Then at the final siren. The sheer joy and tears that flowed. Had to watch the GF at home but straight after the player presentation in a taxi with the wife to Swan St to take it all in. And the family day at Punt Rd on Sunday. Never seen as many happy smiling Tigers in my life!! 🐯

Remove this Banner Ad

Back