Tasmania PWC: HFC contributed $28.5 million to the Tasmanian economy in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the amount of times that comments get throw around regarding the Tasmanian sponsorship, this report needed its own thread rather than getting hidden in another thread.

The Hawthorn Football Club contributed $28.5 million to the Tasmanian economy during the 2017 footy season, according to a new report.

The PricewaterhouseCoopers report also found the Hawks’ four home games at Launceston’s UTAS Stadium, and one JLT Community Series game, attracted 61,301 fans.

Of those, one in every four fans was from interstate or overseas, with the majority staying for at least one night.

Premier Will Hodgman said the report confirmed Tasmania’s partnership with the Hawks went much further than just “game-day excitement in Lonnie”.

The economic impact amounts to a return on investment of about $7.50 for every $1 we put into the deal,” he said.

“Attendance is up and fans are spending more, with an additional injection of $19.8 million into the local economy.”

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5...ions-to-tasmanian-economy-report-shows/?cs=95

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Given that not everyone buys these studies (see the Grand Prix critics), there has never been any doubt in my mind that the success of the Hawks in working this sponsorship, not just taking the money (this what a sponsor wants value for the money), is the biggest impediment to a team for Tas.

I'm amused when I see Hawks critics trying to compare it with those fixtures that are sold out of the overcrowded Melbourne market & represented as 'growing the game' when they are simply a grab for cash.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Given that not everyone buys these studies (see the Grand Prix critics), there has never been any doubt in my mind that the success of the Hawks in working this sponsorship, not just taking the money (this what a sponsor wants value for the money), is the biggest impediment to a team for Tas.

I'm amused when I see Hawks critics trying to compare it with those fixtures that are sold out of the overcrowded Melbourne market & represented as 'growing the game' when they are simply a grab for cash.
Would interesting to have a look at th Canberra and Northern Territory government sponsorships for GWS and Demons and the feasibly studies done behind thos deals as well! Doubt they would be anywhere near as profitable

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Would interesting to have a look at th Canberra and Northern Territory government sponsorships for GWS and Demons and the feasibly studies done behind thos deals as well! Doubt they would be anywhere near as profitable

What makes you think these deals are in any way comparable? Sell a 'one of' game is not a sponsorship.

Consider the Tiges & NQ, they took the money, balanced the books, never to be seen again.
NO, thats not a criticism of the Tiges ...

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
What makes you think these deals are in any way comparable? Sell a 'one of' game is not a sponsorship.

GWS deal is for ten years, and 3 games a year, plus a preason game, for 23 million. Its quite comparable to the Hawks deal which nets just under that in half the time. Like the Hawks, GWS wear Canberra on the jumper.

The Dees deal is for two games in 2018, they've played at least one game a year in the NT for the last 9 years. That is more or less a straight sale with little to no other components involved. (Unlike Adelaides NT sponsorship/match deal for its womens team)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Canberra has multiple games like the Hawks but the AFL fund GWS so who knows which bucket that funding is hidden in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back