Mega Thread Don's Party - The future is so bright, we need some pizza and a piss-up

Why is Don Pyke a spud?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
MOD NOTICE: there are like 8 anti-Pyke and coaches threads at the minute. Plus this one i accidently merged them into. Now we have a mega-thread to hate Neil Pyke with.

Plenty of people laying blame on the loss of Lyons at the feet of Justin Reid. Opened this thread so those posters can direct their angst towards the group of people who were actually responsible for running JL out of the club and ensuring we got a bargain basement price for him. Interesting that Suns have actually said that getting Jarryd for such a low price actually allowed them to accept the Hawks offer for O'Meara. And people say we weren't involved in any major deals, phooey I say.

Anyway, our midfield system hasn't improved or even changed one bit under the long term stewardship of Campo and Clarke. Pyke also failed to have an impact, perhaps stick to the mining industry or assistant coaching ranks buddy.

Blaming Reid because he's the negotiator is kindergarten thinking. Blame the raters of the talent, not the bloke tasked with selling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of people laying blame on the loss of Lyons at the feet of Justin Reid. Opened this thread so those posters can direct their angst towards the group of people who were actually responsible for running JL out of the club and ensuring we got a bargain basement price for him. Interesting that Suns have actually said that getting Jarryd for such a low price actually allowed them to accept the Hawks offer for O'Meara. And people say we weren't involved in any major deals, phooey I say.

Anyway, our midfield system hasn't improved or even changed one bit under the long term stewardship of Campo and Clarke. Pyke also failed to have an impact, perhaps stick to the mining industry or assistant coaching ranks buddy.

Blaming Reid because he's the negotiator is kindergarten thinking. Blame the raters of the talent, not the bloke tasked with selling it.
You are talking s**t and over rating Lyons by a long way.

JL is far from an A Grader. He was lucky to get games this year as guys like Menzel and Hampton were in and out of the SANFL side and never got match fitness to play AFL games. I feel that Milera was managed and primed for next year, like McGovern.

Yes JL played most games, and his stats look nice. But he is just an average plodder and one of the key reasons our midfield is so pedestrian given he is in there.

Now, had you mentioned CEY I would be 100% agreeing with with you. He is a genuine match breaking talent who for some reason is never selected. There seems to be an attitude that he can't play in the same team as Thommo, SLoane and probably JL. Hopefully moving JL solves that problem, even better if we play CEY more next year with one of Milera, Menzel or Hampton at the expense of both Thommo and JL.

The under rating of JL is staggering.

Our midfield is s**t because we're playing at least one, if not two, midfielders short.

We also have the same structural and system problems that have been obvious to everyone for years.

And we then have 3 senior players who are ******* useless, and contribute almost nothing. If those guys regularly performed at the level JL did, our midfield wouldn't be as pathetic.

That's why our midfield is s**t; we're ~5 regular contributors short.

I think Scott Thompson needs to be involved in the midfield coaching side and also on field in SANFL too. We need some fresh ideas in there same old style with same guys running through there will net the same result or less.

Potentially good thread, but loses its impact due to the scatter gun approach.

Are you primarily bagging our useless midfield coaches, or defending Reid?

If it's the first, I'm with you. If it's the second - do it in the Reid thread ;)

I'm identifying the blame regarding Lyons, that it effectively defends Reid is a by-product of addressing the actual issue. It's not about Reid and it's not about overrating Lyons as some lemmings have already commented on. The reason Lyons went for unders is because he has always, and continued to be, undervalued by the midfield coaches. Reid was only tasked with selling an asset to a club with an early PSD pick in a day and a half.

But it is time that we hounded Campo and Clarke in the same manner we did Trigg. The Lyons affair and re-signing Thommo are just recent examples of these idiots decision making skills.

But it is time that we hounded Campo and Clarke in the same manner we did Trigg. The Lyons affair and re-signing Thommo are just recent examples of these idiots decision making skills.

So when do you start on Fagan?

Trigg just managed to keep a star player who wanted to return home, fagan failed miserably last year. He accepted pittance for the best player in the league. Just let him walk. trigg put up a fight for gibbs and won.

Trigg

daylight

fagan on a good day

Only a few rate lyons ... took him 6 years to be a regular. .. and even then he wasnt really first choice. He will always be backup here. No other team was willing to throw him a contract. He went for chips. No other afl team rated him.

Our failure this draft was gibbs or another top mid. We can all agree on that. Lyons for 43 we would have taken last year without doubt.

Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when do you start on Fagan?

Trigg just managed to keep a star player who wanted to return home, fagan failed miserably last year. He accepted pittance for the best player in the league. Just let him walk. trigg put up a fight for gibbs and won.

Trigg

daylight

fagan on a good day

He kept a player who had 3 years to go on his contract. That's as easy as making a choice.

Only a few rate lyons ... took him 6 years to be a regular. .. and even then he wasnt really first choice. He will always be backup here. No other team was willing to throw him a contract. He went for chips. No other afl team rated him.

Our failure this draft was gibbs or another top mid. We can all agree on that. Lyons for 43 we would have taken last year without doubt.

Except for the team that did give him a contract. Lyons was one of 8 players in the league ranked elite by CD for goals and assists out of the midfield. He's not a superstar, he's not the low level plodder some are making him out to be either.

The only thing I disagree with is Pyke. I will make up my mind about him at the end of next season. The rest you have nailed perfectly.

I think the problem with Campo is one of complacency. He's already admitted he's not interested in the top coaching job as it would interfere with outside business interests. That suggests that there's little incentive for him to improve existing systems or try out new ideas. In contrast look at all the assistants under Clarkson who have gone on to becomes head coaches: Bolton (Carlton), Simpson (West Coast), Hardwick (Richmond), Beveridge (WB) and Cameron (GWS) - none of these guys were content to simply remain as assistants. Perhaps much like our midfield, Campo is seen internally as being good enough, but he doesn't desire to be "great," so it's an easy option to keep him in the role as we know he doesn't want to go anywhere.

I'd be interested to know how our midfield would perform if we didn't have to drag along Mackay, Douglas and Thommo like three useless anchors holding us back.
I expect our midfield will have a different look next year.

Lyons missing.
Mackay won't play many games.
Thommo won't play most games.
Douglas I expect will play most games, assuming he gets back some form. Perhaps rotate thommo & Douglas to keep an experienced player around.

CEY needs to play when we are against bigger body midfielders.
Knight assuming fit will be 1st 22.
Milera should have a stronger body to play most games.
Wigg is ready to have some impact after serving his apprenticeship.

Must consider moving Smith into the midfield rotations as we have Hampton & seedsman who can cover him on a hbf.
Similarly, laird should become part of a larger midfield rotation as we build flexibility in the team.

Cameron, mcgovern & menzel should all be forwards who rotate through the midfield.

I'd be interested to know how our midfield would perform if we didn't have to drag along Mackay, Douglas and Thommo like three useless anchors holding us back.
Don't forget we had Reilly and VB running around in the middle in our mediocre years too.

Except for the team that did give him a contract. Lyons was one of 8 players in the league ranked elite by CD for goals and assists out of the midfield. He's not a superstar, he's not the low level plodder some are making him out to be either.

No, he is not a low level plodder. He's a good solid footballer. If Mackay or Douglas were out of contract we would have lowballed them too and traded them for picks in the 40s. Lyons position is easily replaced , he's too good not to be playing football but we have other players on the list that we are backing to go past him.

Getting 43 is disappointing, I was hoping for more. But pick 26 was Ikea, start the car stuff. We got 21 for Vince who is a superior player. The problem is a lot of people are over-rating Lyons' value and what we would have realistically got for him. He's a great bloke and loyal, but the club made a hard decision. Just like all the ranters ask the club to do, just that they disagree with this hard decision.

Douglas and Mackay are contracted and we can't force them to move. We need to phase them out. Dougie I'd back in to have a better season. Mackay is always going to be inconsistent. I'd like to see Mackay fighting for his spot and only used when replacing injured players.

Back