Pyke described perfectly on OTC

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Browny reckons Pyke superglues his magnets to the board. No plan B, no flexibility, need it all happening on their terms. Healy asks why not help Sloaney by pushing him to half forward or half back. Roos response is that we're too inflexible and who can we pull into the midfield to replace him. Good point.

Finally people starting to realise what many of us have known for ages. Pyke needs to pivot, he's heading down the wrong path and has been found out. Can he do it? Doubtful

We sent both McGovern and Fogarty down back, but moves like that are pretty simple and both seemed to me to be more because A. we were getting flogged, so needed reinforcements and B. we had too much tall timber up forward, so we were trying to hide them somewhere else.

As for "needing it on our terms" that's been obvious for awhile, but most teams are like that. What's more worrying is we usually don't have the toughness to grind out a win. It's 30+ points either way of the ledger most of the time.

Yikes. Doesnt take much for people to start throwing stones, damning our season and eating our own.

I’m not saying that Pyke should get off scott (Brad or Chris?) free, but we’re 2-2 along with most of the comp and have the potential to play a lot better.

Talk of ‘glued magnets’ are cheap shots and really low hanging fruit for those who haven’t watched our game closely.

We have had changed our game up multiple times over the past year, going from a low possession counter attack team who gets most goals over the back to a higher possession team using the corridor to now at times a high possession team trying to control tempo across half back.

Last week we were smashed in contested possessions. We looked too sore to tackle (and only corralled.... god I hate that word.) and weren’t tough enough to run hard.

There is little the coach can do if the players aren’t getting the ground ball.

Structural or coaching change or even different selections weren’t going to save us.

Everyone had a case of the ‘couldnt be *eds’ didnt make position, didnt chose the right options and played C grade football (how many blind snaps around the body when we did get the ball ffs.)

This was not a coaching problem, this was a playing problem compounded by injuries, short week, repeat games at etihad and it being early in the season. If this becomes the norm under Pyke then fine, hang him out to dry, but the reality is we’ve had 2 okay games (essendon and St Kilda) 1 good one and 1 s**t house one.

Its a long season. Chill out.

We sent both McGovern and Fogarty down back, but moves like that are pretty simple and both seemed to me to be more because A. we were getting flogged, so needed reinforcements and B. we had too much tall timber up forward, so we were trying to hide them somewhere else.

As for "needing it on our terms" that's been obvious for awhile, but most teams are like that. What's more worrying is we usually don't have the toughness to grind out a win. It's 30+ points either way of the ledger most of the time.

How many games has Fogarty played?

How many times has he been thrown back to the wolves like that?

He actually read the ball quite well. Seemed to know how to use his body to stand his ground in the drop zone.

Last edited:
Yikes. Doesnt take much for people to start throwing stones, damning our season and eating our own.

I’m not saying that Pyke should get off scott (Brad or Chris?) free, but we’re 2-2 along with most of the comp and have the potential to play a lot better.

Talk of ‘glued magnets’ are cheap shots and really low hanging fruit for those who haven’t watched our game closely.

We have had changed our game up multiple times over the past year, going from a low possession counter attack team who gets most goals over the back to a higher possession team using the corridor to now at times a high possession team trying to control tempo across half back.

Last week we were smashed in contested possessions. We looked too sore to tackle (and only corralled.... god I hate that word.) and weren’t tough enough to run hard.

There is little the coach can do if the players aren’t getting the ground ball.

Structural or coaching change or even different selections weren’t going to save us.

Everyone had a case of the ‘couldnt be ****eds’ didnt make position, didnt chose the right options and played C grade football (how many blind snaps around the body when we did get the ball ffs.)

This was not a coaching problem, this was a playing problem compounded by injuries, short week, repeat games at etihad and it being early in the season. If this becomes the norm under Pyke then fine, hang him out to dry, but the reality is we’ve had 2 okay games (essendon and St Kilda) 1 good one and 1 s**t house one.

Its a long season. Chill out.
That is a coaching problem when we constantly select injured players. It's a long season as you say, so why the heck aren't we resting Sloane and letting him get healthy? People will say "Oh, our midfield already has the Crouches out, we can't afford to lose Sloane" but when he is so utterly ineffectual like last Friday, both offensively and defensively, then you're only hurting yourself more instead of throwing someone like Wilson, Gallucci or Poholke in there. At worst they play just as badly as a hobbled Sloane, but at least you let Sloane hopefully get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't this what's been said about just about every coach we've had since Blight.

Ayres got criticised for this. As did Craig. Sando too. I'm sure Walsh got a few critiques for this too. Now Pyke.
And pretty much every coach in the AFL.

Every club in the AFL has a plan b, simply put, its do Plan A better.

Isn't this what's been said about just about every coach we've had since Blight.

Ayres got criticised for this. As did Craig. Sando too. I'm sure Walsh got a few critiques for this too. Now Pyke.
1. [coach] is so stubborn!
2. [coach] has no plan B!

Not unique to this supporter group.

That is a coaching problem when we constantly select injured players. It's a long season as you say, so why the heck aren't we resting Sloane and letting him get healthy? People will say "Oh, our midfield already has the Crouches out, we can't afford to lose Sloane" but when he is so utterly ineffectual like last Friday, both offensively and defensively, then you're only hurting yourself more instead of throwing someone like Wilson, Gallucci or Poholke in there. At worst they play just as badly as a hobbled Sloane, but at least you let Sloane hopefully get better.
I agree. Its obvious Sloane did nothing for us and that is on the coaches for selecting him. But we can only speculate about his injury, how he looked during the week ect. He might have had similar problems previously and played well. In hindsight its obvious and hopfully we learn a lesson. But as has been pointed out before, many players play with or through niggles. Probably many we dont know about. Its why so many players have end of season surgery. Most of the time these come out of the blue for fans. You cant adopt a ‘never play anyone with a niggle’ philosophy because you might not field a team.

I disagree. We ended up grinding a fair few teams last year in that we absorbed what they had then just outgunned them.

The whole +30 margin is more an ode to how ridiculous our forward line was last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back