kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Feeling pretty "good" about my assessment of Pyke after he had coached us for 8 games. :'(

Panic after losing two games? Not a good sign at all.
Signs were there when he wanted to talk about umpiring after we got smashed in midfield by Bulldogs. That's loser talk. No surprise we got walloped again the same way against Geelong.

Early signs are there he has a nice game plan, and no ability to create a winning mentality.

There has been plenty of opportunity for a Blighty-style rant / dropping of former leaders associated with a failed culture. Doesn't seem to be his approach.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Has there ever been a coach whose team has put in 3 or more non-competitive thrashings who has gone on to turn things around and win a premiership? Or even get close?

Feels like we have reached the vibe of 2010 already. Except that was Craigy's 6th season and this is Pyke's 3rd.

Will next year go the way 2011 did?

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Has there ever been a coach whose team has put in 3 or more non-competitive thrashings who has gone on to turn things around and win a premiership? Or even get close?

Feels like we have reached the vibe of 2010 already. Except that was Craigy's 6th season and this is Pyke's 3rd.

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 10.14.33 pm.png

The results for the 2016 season by last years premiers

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
View attachment 513838

The results for the 2016 season by last years premiers
My recollection was that they were trying hard but incompetent. Didn't remember them finishing the year that badly.

They had 2 losses by 50 plus up to and including round 17. At that point they were 7-9. Competitive but not good enough especially whenever Deledio was out.

Then Deledio got injured again, they realised they weren't going to make finals and lost energy a bit. Lost 3 of their last 6 by a fair margin.

We have locked in 49, 91 and 56 point losses and only up to round 13.

Still it does show under the terms of my original statement, yes there has been at least one premiership coach who saw his side get smashed several times in a previous year. :thumbsu:

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Has there ever been a coach who has had the last few weeks like we have had and not dropped one senior, under performing player?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bloody hell, that’s interesting...

So all we need to do is a total review of footy ops, bring in a gun like Balme, and sack our hopeless assistant coaches and support staff.

It worked for Richmond - I’m sold ;)

That's just a coincidence, you don't need to make any changes, just do what you're already doing but do it better. That and more continuity is all that's required.

Bloody hell, that’s interesting...

So all we need to do is a total review of footy ops, bring in a gun like Balme, and sack our hopeless assistant coaches and support staff.

It worked for Richmond - I’m sold ;)
Also talk lids was a bit of a cancer in the dressing rooms wouldn’t talk to the young blokes etc so him pissing off was a god send

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I went early on Sando being a dud, and gave him to him big time.

I don’t think Pyke is the problem here.
Pyke is pretty low on the list of people I want sacked. I'd say Campo, Hart, Burton, Hass, Clarke should all be ahead of him in line for the guillotine. I just wish they would give Pyke a blank cheque to go and find some talented coaches. Let the man build his own team instead of lumping him with Neil Craig's duds. How many senior coaches careers have to be killed before the club makes some much needed changes?

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
Also talk lids was a bit of a cancer in the dressing rooms wouldn’t talk to the young blokes etc so him pissing off was a god send
That's interesting.
I was a bit mifed when he went to GWS, presented like a club man. It reeked of a bloke chasing a flag. Then I heard a story that he didn't even watch the GF, kinda blew my mind, you may have left the club, but surely you had good mates there and you wished them all the best.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's just a coincidence, you don't need to make any changes, just do what you're already doing but do it better. That and more continuity is all that's required.
"You just gotta train it" Coach Pyke , Presser post Hawks Humiliation

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pyke is pretty low on the list of people I want sacked. I'd say Campo, Hart, Burton, Hass, Clarke should all be ahead of him in line for the guillotine. I just wish they would give Pyke a blank cheque to go and find some talented coaches. Let the man build his own team instead of lumping him with Neil Craig's duds. How many senior coaches careers have to be killed before the club makes some much needed changes?
Absolutely needs to be what happens ... give the man his way with fresh eyes around him and judge him in 2 years .

That's interesting.
I was a bit mifed when he went to GWS, presented like a club man. It reeked of a bloke chasing a flag. Then I heard a story that he didn't even watch the GF, kinda blew my mind, you may have left the club, but surely you had good mates there and you wished them all the best.
he does have good mates but yeah he didn't watch the game and didn't send congrats messages for a while. he did leave to chase a flag but we also thought he was close to cooked in the end it worked out

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Memory not what it used to be, but dug up Geelong's 2006. On the rise and finals in 04/05, before wheels fell off and won just 10 games, including a 90 odd point belting at footy park, 100 points against Collingwood and a couple 10 goal losses to hawthorn.

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/geelong/allgames.html#2006

Agree with those who think we need a clean-out, but dont see how Pyke is the issue. Our list is full of mediocre talent, and he took it to a minor premiership and Grand Final. The man clearly has what it takes and I see a lot of projecting the frustration with the problems in the rest of our organsation onto him.

A ruthless off season and this can change very quickly. Fagan needs to be the catalyst, but sadly wouldnt put money on it happeneing. First time I've ever gone into each weekend hoping to lose games, but at least we can get some decent local talent in.

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
Memory not what it used to be, but dug up Geelong's 2006. On the rise and finals in 04/05, before wheels fell off and won just 10 games, including a 90 odd point belting at footy park, 100 points against Collingwood and a couple 10 goal losses to hawthorn.

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/geelong/allgames.html#2006

Agree with those who think we need a clean-out, but dont see how Pyke is the issue. Our list is full of mediocre talent, and he took it to a minor premiership and Grand Final. The man clearly has what it takes and I see a lot of projecting the frustration with the problems in the rest of our organsation onto him.

A ruthless off season and this can change very quickly. Fagan needs to be the catalyst, but sadly wouldnt put money on it happeneing. First time I've ever gone into each weekend hoping to lose games, but at least we can get some decent local talent in.

Without going too deep, I’d say that this is a pattern, see Doggies circa 2014, Tigers 2016.

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Alan Joyce won the 1988 premiership then was stood down after 1 year

Came back in 1991 and won another flag

2 years, 2 flags. He got sacked after 2 more years

Still had a 50% flag to seasons coaches record

Fairly solid side that late 80s Hawthorn mob. There's a fair chance you or I could have coached them to the top 4.

I'd love to know the real reason they dumped Joyce in 1993. I always thought it was because they had Peter Knights in the "club legend in waiting" slot, but memories are hazy after this lenght of time.

1achie

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
This x 1000

If we can afford to prop up baseball clubs then we can afford to pay the tax on exceeding the soft cap.

Sucka4Love

Team Captain
Aug 23, 2010
Reservoir
AFL Club
Adelaide
the heck you talking about?
Mick signing the contract that would hand over the head coaching job. Micks job to Bucks at the end of the 2011 season. He wasn’t sacked he signed a contract made a deal. If he didn’t want to sign the contract he could’ve walked away. He reluctantly passed over the reins to Bucks.

Back