Pyke interview 12th Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone seen the full Pyke Q&Q from afl.com.au - or is the article on the Talia’s progress, BCrouch and Greenwood cover it all?

Also shows with the focus on fun and happiness, how badly we botched our preseason last year and it wasn’t a happy place to be at.

You can kind of understand it though after they way they shat themselves something had to be tried to harden them up.

I don't buy at all that the attitude to the pre-season was the problem last year. A few grumblers, mainly Eddie and Hampton, but most seemed very happy with it at the time. Only later some like Douglas who had formerly praised it switched to using it as a bit of a scapegoat.

The real reason was the decimation of the list.

Even the article says we had only 4 players play all games whereas in 2017 we had the lowest turnover of any side.

Mass injuries cause defeats and defeats cause low morale. Getting Saunders in to manage our hamstrings seems so far to be paying off and will likely be the biggest change from 2018.

You can kind of understand it though after they way they shat themselves something had to be tried to harden them up.

I don't buy at all that the attitude to the pre-season was the problem last year. A few grumblers, mainly Eddie and Hampton, but most seemed very happy with it at the time. Only later some like Douglas who had formerly praised it switched to using it as a bit of a scapegoat.

Even the article says we had only 4 players play all games whereas in 2017 we had the lowest turnover of any side.

Mass injuries cause defeats and defeats cause low morale. Getting Saunders in to manage our hamstrings seems so far to be paying off and will likely be the biggest change from 2018.
Last preseason obviously was a factor, that’s why the change this year. They wouldn’t have done it just for a few grumblers and really you have no idea how many were unhappy. What players say towing the company line really should be ignored, the clubs actions this preseason is the real truth.

As for the injuries bloody oath they decimated our year. Doesn’t mean they also didn’t botch our preseason.

Reading the interview sounds like

ROB is right in the frame and I can't see us playing 2 rucks plus JJ

Milera will play mainly as a running HB with some minutes in the midfield however his long term role will be a mid

McAdam, there seems to be a planned approach to Shane getting the conditioning required to be AFL ready, he may not be in our round 1 side however the approach is designed for long term gains

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your Key Players like Betts, Tex, Sauce were all well down last year can they bring it this year, our mids with a solid Gibbs weren't too bad, Bcrouch is a given he will miss a lot history tells us that. The club would be hoping Betts and Tex have an output equivelant to their wage as the salary cap is only a certain size and players that are paid half as much as them will not give you the same quality.

I don't agree with many of your posts, but I'm 100% behind this one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the interview sounds like

ROB is right in the frame and I can't see us playing 2 rucks plus JJ

I didn't read it like that.

“It’s a good battle, Reilly has had a really good pre-season and has put his hand high up to be right up there for selection which is great, you want that at a footy club,” he said.

“You have Sam who has been fantastic for us for a number of years who is being challenged, and as he gets into the latter part of his career, that’s what you want."

“Whether we can play two or not I don’t know. It really depends on the make up of elsewhere. With Josh (Jenkins) we’ve got a strong power forward who can do some ruck work."

“He’s shown he’s got the capability to do some real good work in the ruck and we’re doing some more work with him in that space in some of the around the ground stuff."

To me that's code for "Reilly's going great but Jacobs has to be run over by a bus or completely flake out and retire before he'll get a position in the side".

Were are you hearing that, from what I have seen and heard, ROB is giving Jabobs some serious competition,

He may be, I just said if Jacobs can recapture his form of 2017 which saw him nominated in the AA squad does ROB have that same ability. If Jacobs cant then maybe ROB can replace him. Does ROB have the game which Jacobs showed in 2017 ? Very Unlikely

He may be, I just said if Jacobs can recapture his form of 2017 which saw him nominated in the AA squad does ROB have that same ability. If Jacobs cant then maybe ROB can replace him. Does ROB have the game which Jacobs showed in 2017 ? Very Unlikely
When ROB first came to the Crows I mention his biggest weakness was his ground ball and follow up, in the years that I have watched him he has made those weaknesses his strengths in the SANFL,
At this time he is quicker and has a higher leap than Jacobs, add to his ground ball work and the only issue we need to see is how well he reads the play, if he has that game, I would say he is very close to Jacobs 2017 form.

You need to watch this Kid, when he was fit he was the Best SANFL ruck going around by a long shot if he did not do his Shoulder last year he would have played AFL.
Here is something to ponder, When you look closely there a lot of Clarke in Jacobs tap work I see the same in ROB.

When ROB first came to the Crows I mention his biggest weakness was his ground ball and follow up, in the years that I have watched him he has made those weaknesses his strengths in the SANFL,
At this time he is quicker and has a higher leap than Jacobs, add to his ground ball work and the only issue we need to see is how well he reads the play, if he has that game, I would say he is very close to Jacobs 2017 form.

You need to watch this Kid, when he was fit he was the Best SANFL ruck going around by a long shot if he did not do his Shoulder last year he would have played AFL.
Here is something to ponder, When you look closely there a lot of Clarke in Jacobs tap work I see the same in ROB.

I havent seen a lot of ROB. But I haven't seen him dominate tap work. Even at SANFL level I would imagine that an AFL level ruckman would have dominated already, given the number of games he has played. ROB may well displace Sauce this season, but that won't mean he will be even as good as Sauce was a few years ago. Best I am hoping for is that he can break even in the ruck work and then do more damage than his opposition number on the spread. Or perhaps he can tag someone like Grundy. Go with him and stop his influence.

I havent seen a lot of ROB. But I haven't seen him dominate tap work. Even at SANFL level I would imagine that an AFL level ruckman would have dominated already, given the number of games he has played. ROB may well displace Sauce this season, but that won't mean he will be even as good as Sauce was a few years ago. Best I am hoping for is that he can break even in the ruck work and then do more damage than his opposition number on the spread. Or perhaps he can tag someone like Grundy. Go with him and stop his influence.
Before his injury I doubt whether there was a better ruckman than ROB in the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back