News Pyke signs for 3 more

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Pyke! Think he will do good things! - already has. But gee I do miss Walsh, had a serious man crush on him. Sad you can't unriing a bell.

Last edited:

To people comparing Pyke to Craig - Pyke got us to a Grand Final in his second year, breaking the "unbreakable" 20 year drought. Craig couldn't do it despite 3 or 4 genuine opportunities and arguably better core players.
You needn't have bothered with "arguably"

Fantastic news imho. I made a thread wondering about this a while ago I think. Was fairly scared west coast would try to poach him.

Improvement year on year. Smart bastard. Success follows him. Seems to learn from mistakes and gradually put aside old frailties in the psychology of the AFC. Bloods youngsters when deserved (could go further with some strategic blooding). Retires old boys club gold pass holders. Has devised a gameplan based on our strengths that would've got us a flag if the players didn't s**t the bed at the last hurdle.

9/10

Well done club.
Not sure about this! When Brown went out, he brought McKay back in instead of Wigg who was dominating SANFL
Kept bringing back Otten when Doedee was ready
As long as we don't mention how well we did last year I'll be happy...unless of course we are tanking for a top 3 pick

Not sure about this! When Brown went out, he brought McKay back in instead of Wigg who was dominating SANFL
Kept bringing back Otten when Doedee was ready
As long as we don't mention how well we did last year I'll be happy...unless of course we are tanking for a top 3 pick
Training form is more important than SANFL form to them.

Not if continuity being the key to success is a core belief, which it seems to be. Obviously a no brainer to extend, he'd be a priority for any club looking for a senior coach. But the same was true for Craig after his first 2 seasons. I'm hoping he can evolve and develop an in-game change ability and also add a harder edge at the selection table. Otherwise, his career with us will likely roll along a similar path that Craig's did.

You feed the troll

Good stuff.

Fantastic football brain.

Must be good at communicating this to the players because we typically look in sync about what we are trying to do.

Cautious about his ability to understand what makes his players tick, coach grit, drive a response when he needs one. The 1997 documentary revealed how good Blight was at this. Not sure Pyke is really that interested in this aspect. Can be mitigated by great player leadership, or by being sufficiently good at football to more than compensate.

Overall a good coach. Love watching us play. Looking forward to another competitive year this time hopefully without the lame exit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Testament to the man though. To want to see it through when no doubt his own club came knocking and it would've been the easiest thing in the world to move home to family and friends.

Can't ask it of your players if you don't live it yourself.

Anyone else would have felt more comfortable with 2 years than 3?

It did surprise me a bit as 2 year extension probably more common than 3, but then he has achieved more in two years than is commonly achieved

In a similar vein, the Bays have given their new coach Mark Stone only a 2 year contract rather than the more common 3 for a new coach

I’m choosing to interpret that as a good sign that they want to keep him under pressure for results rather than “it’ll save us money when we get rid of him after two years”:drunk::huh:

When 2016 failed he was able to implement changes for 2017 to improve. Hopefully we do the same and go one more.

Are we able to keep the scoring power and find a bit of that hard edge defensive side we have been lacking.

I personally would have liked to see how he goes next season after losing a GF before such a commitment.

But not a bad thing. We can always sack him mid contract if things go Pear shaped.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

His contract was set to expire at the end of 2018. The club was very, very unlikely to not extend him, given he'd just taken the team to the GF. So all holding off on re-signing would have done would be to allow another club to poach him, or result in endless media speculation about him leaving.

It also gives Sloane surety as to who the coach will be in the future, which may or may not be important to his decision on whether to re-sign or leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back