Society/Culture Q&A 2016

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
They tended to move pathological sadists to that school rather than kiddy fiddlers - same system though - brother breaks a kids arm in Kal - gets moved to CBC Freo. Our footy coach Br O'Loughlin would say "you must make up your deficiency in skill with extreme brutality" - not hard when half the kids were sons of wharfies and market gardiners!

Best footy fight I have seen was a schoolboy mick on mick pre season game. They didn't even wait for the game to start.

Marvellous stuff.

Contra, Meds is a lifetime member for a female mud wrestling league in the pennines and number one ticket holder, he is their veritable susan alberti #misogyny #pennines #poe's_law

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
is that what they call communion.

meds only drinks grange, henschke, spelling, probably spelling, petrus, and d'yquem. more probably spelling
ftfu prolly #spelling. prolly.

henschke hill of grace qua grace

images

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Anyone else watch tonight? I tuned it to remember why I don't watch, towards the end an aboriginal actress jumped in all over a conservative commentator's opinion on whether a cartoon was racist, because 'as an aboriginal woman' . . . and also referred to him as a 'white male' .

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone else watch tonight? I tuned it to remember why I don't watch, towards the end an aboriginal actress jumped in all over a conservative commentator's opinion on whether a cartoon was racist, because 'as an aboriginal woman' . . . and also referred to him as a 'white male' .
Both statements were true.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The issue was her claiming authority on the basis of her aboriginality, and also the implication that white men don't have a valid opinion on the subject of racism.
I didn't hear her claim authority. She just plainly and passionately called it racist. The white commentator fervently said it wasn't.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I didn't hear her claim authority. She just plainly and passionately called it racist. The white commentator fervently said it wasn't.

Well she did. She claimed to know better 'as an aboriginal woman' and dismissed his opinion by comparison as that of a 'white male', which comes off as racist itself, but I'm more concerned with people shutting down others opinion.

Well she did. She claimed to know better 'as an aboriginal woman' and dismissed his opinion by comparison as that of a 'white male', which comes off as racist itself, but I'm more concerned with people shutting down others opinion.
You tell me how it feels to he a gay man mate, and the s**t I've had to put up with. I'm sick of straight white men being an authority on f***ing everything.

Unless you have experienced rascism, then all you have is an opinion. I take experience over opinion all day long.
I didn't find anything wrong with her comment and don't think many did.
I am not aboriginal but I found the cartoon racist.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a debating forum. Surely there's some expectation of being cut off or interrupted. And yes she probably would know what racism looks like than your average white bloke.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Unless you have experienced rascism, then all you have is an opinion. I take experience over opinion all day long.
I didn't find anything wrong with her comment and don't think many did.
I am not aboriginal but I found the cartoon racist.

I have experienced racism and I still disagree with you. A 'white male' as she put it, is just as qualified to discuss whether something is racist or not, particularly as we are starting from a neutral position that the thing is not necessarily racist.

It's a debating forum. Surely there's some expectation of being cut off or interrupted. And yes she probably would know what racism looks like than your average white bloke.

There's no problem with being cut off now and again, I just take exception to people claiming authority based on their heritage, and the conversation stopping there, rather than engaging in an intellectual discussion about the topic. She doesn't necessarily know more about whether something is racist than the person she was talking to, and her experience is just as likely to cloud her judgment as it is to inform her. Having experienced racism myself I don't think I know more about it than someone who hasn't. The subject isn't based solely on personal experience.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You tell me how it feels to he a gay man mate, and the s**t I've had to put up with. I'm sick of straight white men being an authority on f***ing everything.

? I'm not talking about your personal experience as a gay man . . . You're possibly an expert on how it feels to be a gay man and the bigotry that one can experience as a homosexual, but as to whether or not something is homophobic, you don't necessarily know more than a heterosexual person. I didn't claim that straight white men were an authority here either. My point is that nobody is an authority.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I dunno how anyone could try and say with a straight face that the cartoon wasn't racist.

Ok, so what are your arguments for why the cartoon is racist?

Unfortunately it does however depict a very real situation in Australia where many (not all) of the parents of indigenous kids just don't give a s**t.

If it's a very real situation, then how is it racist?

I felt it was racist just on instinct, but when I think about it, I can't come up with any particular reason for why it is.

I have experienced racism and I still disagree with you. A 'white male' as she put it, is just as qualified to discuss whether something is racist or not, particularly as we are starting from a neutral position that the thing is not necessarily racist.

There's no problem with being cut off now and again, I just take exception to people claiming authority based on their heritage, and the conversation stopping there, rather than engaging in an intellectual discussion about the topic. She doesn't necessarily know more about whether something is racist than the person she was talking to, and her experience is just as likely to cloud her judgment as it is to inform her. Having experienced racism myself I don't think I know more about it than someone who hasn't. The subject isn't based solely on personal experience.
You are entitled to disagree.
Well done to do you that you cede more knowledge about racism to someone that hasn't experienced it.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You are entitled to disagree.
Well done to do you that you cede more knowledge about racism to someone that hasn't experienced it.

I don't necessarily condede that people who have not experienced racism know more about it, it's up to the arguments and facts and expertise they bring to the table, and not their skin colour. I'm just not buying that I'm suddenly an expert because I have experienced racism. I'm only an expert in how I felt, or possibly how it feels, and not whether a certain word/cartoon/person is or isn't racist.

I don't necessarily condede that people who have not experienced racism know more about it, it's up to the arguments and facts and expertise they bring to the table, and not their skin colour.
Not sure where you are going with that, thought we were still discussing Q & A episode?
However you did post:
"Having experienced racism myself I don't think I know more about it than someone who hasn't."

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Not sure where you are going with that, thought we were still discussing Q & A episode?

I'm referring to your comment which suggested that I just necessarily think that people who haven't experienced racism know more about it. My feeling is that it's irrelevant. Your arguments, facts, expertise are what's important, not your personal anecdotes, skin colour, heritage, etc.

Back