Official Club Stuff Q&A with Geoff Parker 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

What was Port's approach to 'The Recruit'?.....ie. were any of the other contestants of interest (had they made it through and won) or were we only ever interested in Wagner...and did Burgo influence your decision to take him? Would we have looked to draft him (or any of the others for that matter) if he had not won The Recruit?

s**t Jonts there was barely 1 second between me posting that and you liking it!

Given we didn't interview Ollie pre draft 2 years ago thinking he would be gone by our pick will you still be interviewing any of the more fancied draft picks this year?

Where did you hide Chad Wingard so that GWS would overlook him five times?
And how did no-one find that spot when we hid Ollie Wines there the following year? And do we still have that spot?

How is it possible to pay 105% of a cap? I saw this somewhere else recently and let it slide. But a cap's a cap is it not?
A Clayton's cap - I think it means that you can go over one year but have to pull back to 95% the next year. A cap worn backwards?

How is it possible to pay 105% of a cap? I saw this somewhere else recently and let it slide. But a cap's a cap is it not?

If a club underspends one year it can make up the difference the following year so that over 2 years 100% of the cap is spent.

Save then spend

And IIRC you can also bank it.
I think we only paid 95% last year so we have room to move this year.

IMO the intent is ok as it stops forcing clubs to pay the full cap when they don't have players that should be paid that much. It also gives them room to bid for FA that are worth a bit of cash.

Who was responsible for the foolish strategy of only selecting 3 ruckman in a list of 45 in 2013 draft and trading period? Why did you not consider the injury history of Redden and Renouf and plan for possible future injuries, apart from putting Renouf onto the rookie list?

Do you believe the club got what it deserved after the implementation of such a short sighted foolish list management strategy?

Will you take into account, that come national draft day, and maybe then PSD and rookie draft day, you might not know what Ryder's availability will be for 2015 re any Anti-doping penalties? Will you also take into account that Redden will take a long time to recover to AFL standard fitness?

Will you draft a ready to go 22-26 year old ruckmen either AFL experienced or a successful ruckmen at state league level to assist Lobbe, if Ryder and Redden are unavailable for all or most of the 2015 season? If not, why not?

Will you recruit another ruckman on top of that to give us 5 in a squad of 46, to allow for the possibility that Ryder and Redden maybe unavailable for all or most of the 2015 season? If so, will that ruckman more likely be an 18-19 year old first time draftee or a more mature ruckman??

The match committee was too reluctant to play Mitch Harvey as a pinch ruckman at AFL level late in the year to give Lobbe a rest to be fresh for finals. Whilst the overwhelming majority of Port supporters dont want to see Harvey ruck at either AFL or SANFL level, will the match committee be prepared to play him in the ruck at AFL level in 2015 to help out Lobbe if we once again go with a foolish strategy of only 3 ruckman or if we go with 4 on the list and we have bad luck with ASADA and injuries combined and we are back to only 1 fit ruckman, or god help us, none if Lobbe gets injured?

Will the strategy for the Magpies contracted players be considered in recruiting enough ruckmen, so that between the AFL squad and SANFL 15 contracted players, there is always enough ruckman to ensure that Harvey and Shaw only have to pinch hit in the ruck for the Magpies rather than be the Magpies main ruckmen and they can concentrate on become AFL standard Key Position Forwards?

Last edited:
Geoff Parker has graciously agreed to field some questions about the 2014 draft from Port Board posters.

So if you have any burning questions you would like answered, post them here and Andrew Fuss will put a selection of your questions to Geoff on Wednesday 12 November.

Many thanks to Geoff and Andrew for agreeing to respond to this impromptu Q&A session..
Hi,
Where can we see or hear the interview?

Who was responsible for the foolish strategy of only selecting 3 ruckman in a list of 45 in 2013? Why did you not consider the injury history of Redden and Renouf and plan for possible future injuries, apart from putting Renouf onto the rookie list?

Do you believe the club got what it deserved after the implementation of such a short sighted foolish list management strategy?

Will you take into account, that come national draft day, and maybe then PSD and rookie draft day, you might not know what Ryder's availability will be for 2015 re any Anti-doping penalties? Will you also take into account that Redden will take a long time to recover to AFL standard fitness?

Will you draft a ready to go 22-26 year old ruckmen either AFL experienced or a successful ruckmen at state league level to assist Lobbe, if Ryder and Redden are unavailable for all or most of the 2015 season? If not, why not?

Will you recruit another ruckman on top of that to give us 5 in a squad of 46, to allow for the possibility that Ryder and Redden maybe unavailable for all or most of the 2015 season? If so, will that ruckman more likely be an 18-19 year old first time draftee or a more mature ruckman??

The match committee was too reluctant to play Mitch Harvey as a pinch ruckman at AFL level late in the year to give Lobbe a rest to be fresh for finals. Whilst the overwhelming majority of Port supporters dont want to see Harvey ruck at either AFL or SANFL level, will the match committee be prepared to play him in the ruck at AFL level in 2015 to help out Lobbe if we once again go with a foolish strategy of only 3 ruckman or if we go with 4 on the list and we have bad luck with ASADA and injuries combined and we are back to only 1 fit ruckman, or god help us, none if Lobbe gets injured?

Will the strategy for the Magpies contracted players be considered in recruiting enough ruckmen, so that between the AFL squad and SANFL 15 contracted players, there is always enough ruckman to ensure that Harvey and Shaw only have to pinch hit in the ruck for the Magpies rather than be the Magpies main ruckmen and they can concentrate on become AFL standard Key Position Forwards?

I thought you were going to ask about the Rucks REH?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

REH's questions

+

How do we address the tall forward age and experience gap on our list? Can we make a serious play for a free agent key forward or is cap space an issue now?

If Schulz retires in another couple of years, a 21-22yo Shaw or Harvey with little or no AFL experience will not be able to replace his output and lack of tall goal kickers could cost us a premiership chance.

Who was responsible for the foolish strategy of only selecting 3 ruckman in a list of 45 in 2013? Why did you not consider the injury history of Redden and Renouf and plan for possible future injuries, apart from putting Renouf onto the rookie list?

Agree , 100% , I would like to see us draft a mature bodied ruckman (eg Baulderstone) as a serious backup and rookie another young 18 yo ruckman (perhaps Kovacevic).

Would you have ever drafted Lawrence Angwin?

How many times did you crash into brick walls trying to learn how to swing on those elastic webs that you shoot ouit of your wrists?

Well Parker played that with a straight bat like Chris Rogers. I guess it was fanciful to think he would answer them on the front foot like David Warner.

I an grateful for Geoff's time, but I reckon the only things I learnt in those answers was a bit about his cricket career and that we have 4 full time and 12 part time recruiters. Gave nothing away - as you would expect. ;)

I reckon the only things I learnt in those answers was a bit about his cricket career and that we have 4 full time and 12 part time recruiters. Gave nothing away - as you would expect. ;)

I ask the tough questions ;)

Yeah not too much in there but I too appreciate the effort. One thing I did like was the fact he confirmed when evaluating potential draftees, it's rate on talent first, then character

I found it interesting that they will still go through their list and pick first by talent rather than for need and hope for a slider.

That suggests that possibles like Lonie, Daniel and Gregson who are all very talented but short will be in contention.

oh come on no one asked about hipsters???

Geoff was regarded as the pre-eminent batsmen in the u/16 cricket championships by absolutely everyone there, from coaches, umpires and the other teams. The only players from that championship that made any sort of career out of cricket were Craig McDermott, Ian Healy and Tim Nielsen. My excuse is the same as Parker's, except I had less talent, drive, dedication and skill:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back