Official Club Stuff Q&A With Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m just going to go for the Uber generic:

‘Lachie who is the toughest opponent you’ve been matched up on in an AFL game and why?’
It's a good question! Brandon Starcevich from the Brisbane Lions, he’s more of a lockdown defender so he’s not too stressed about how much ball he gets. That can make your day very hard because he just locks his opponent down and doesn't let them get the ball at all.

How many different roles within the team does Lachie prepare for on any random game day?
Within our forward line, we have six different roles and every player takes on a different role.

I prepare as if I’m going to play all six. I might play 80% in one role and 10% in another two, but you never know where you could play going into a game as things happen during the game, so I prepare for all roles just in case.

Hi Lachie,
My son has a question - how and why did you decide to be a forward?
Hi Purple Suit's son! Like most players growing up, I was a midfielder, but once I got to an age where I was able to have a crack at the AFL, I knew that being a midfielder wasn’t going to work out for me with my height. Also the way I played suited me to be a forward.

I had some really good coaches along the way that pushed me in that direction and I’m very grateful for that.

Hi Lachie,

Who (apart from Fyfe) of your forward line companions is set to have a breakout year and why?
Sam Sturt has had a massive pre-season and he’s brought a completely different mindset to his role. We’re seeing how well he’s played so far and he’s only scratching the surface at the moment, so he’s set to have a massive year.

Hi Lachie,

what were your biggest takeaways from the Collingwood final last year?

and has JLO done any tinkering with the game plan over the off-season?
The semi final was obviously a disappointing result. Like many games, we gave away a head start to the Pies and it cost us in the end. We’ve done a lot over the pre-season to not give away head starts and be on from the first bounce. Hopefully we can see that a lot this year.

Hi Lachie

What's your favourite genre of music and what's artists do you listen to?

For example death metal, rap etc
My favourite genre of music would be probably Progressive House, someone like Rufus or Fred Again. I do like a lot of Indie and Alternative music as well. My favourite artist of all time would be Lana Del Rey.

Lachie I’ve been a big fan of yours since the first day you donned the purple jumper. Which game that you’ve played has been your most rewarding to date?
Thanks mate, from a personal perspective it would be the Melbourne game last year where I was able to have an impact in the second half when we came back from a 30-point deficit and overran them. That gave me a lot of confidence going forward especially when we were going into a big finals series.

Also the Western Bulldogs elimination final, I didn’t have the impact that I would have liked, but as a team it was just a phenomenal effort and something that I will definitely call the favourite game I’ve ever played.

Lachie, how did changing jumper numbers from 28 to 5 come about after Cerra left? any competition at all?

and as a follow up question, how does Darcy and Clark as locker mates (i'm assuming) compare to Chappy and NOD?
I was number 5 at Williamstown so once that was available I was pretty keen to get into the 5. I’m a big fan of single digit numbers so I was pretty quick to get onto it.

I have good locker mates but Big Sean is a little bit messy, so often I’m pushing his wet clothes and boots back to his locker. It’s not too dissimilar to Drizzy, there was a few times where he actually put his boots in my locker because he didn’t even realise what he was doing!

Intermission
Hey everyone. Going to leave it here for now as we have to duck off to do Will's Q&A for reddit. We'll post the rest of Lachie's answers this afternoon 💜

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the Freo media team heard of the Sweet FA Fantasy league? You keep this memeing up and you'll have Mr Bob beside himself. Driving around downtown COCKBURN begging (thru texts) media team 4 address to Tom's home
I'm already beside myself, and so am I.

So it seems like the reddit moderators hold more sway than Tonga Bob with the Freo social media team... 🤔
Don't argue in front of the guests.

FqX0DTxacAEjfko

They’re clearly just giving Lachie time to decide between the vanilla slice and custard tart
Probably had to drive him down to the Freo markets for a taste test.

Lachie's Answers Part Two
Lachie which skill do you think you have developed the most in your time at Freo since being drafted?
It’s not really a skill on the field but probably my mental capacity and mental skills. Just being able to stay involved, keep cool under pressure and composed in big moments. I’ve done a lot of work with our sport psycs since I’ve been here so I’d say that’s the one I’ve developed the most.

Hi Lachie,

Love the way you go about it.

Who were some of your favourite players when you were growing up, and is there a past or current player you model yourself on?
Thanks mate - I was a Richmond supporter growing up so I idolised a lot of Tigers players, my favourite was actually a WA boy, Mark Coughlan.

He was a very special player but he didn’t get a good run at it with knee injuries. I was obsessed with him growing up.

When I moved into the small forward role and being a pressure player, I modelled my game on Hayden Ballantyne. Coming to Freo and being able to learn off him has put me in really good stead for where I am today.

Who is your favourite staff member at the club?
Coaches and teammates are not eligible to be picked.
Apart from the media team (thanks Lachie ;)) I’d say Pauley Salis. He’s our property man who works ridiculous hours and the boys love him, the club loves him. Inside the four walls he gets recognised but not many people on the outside would know about him.

Shooter

You are officially my 2nd favourite current Docker

What are your chances of going past B Cox this year to become number 1*and how important is this to you ?

* don’t slack off Noddy is nipping at your heels
As a very good mate of Coxy, I’m very keen to get past him.

He’s a good choice to be your number 1 but I’m confident I’ll get past him so he better watch himself this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back